It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automatic log out???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone else is seeing this, but over the last few days I have been noticing that I suddenly find myself being displayed as "member was on ATS 5 minutes ago" even though I'd just posted a reply or made a thread etc.

My system is clean, no malware or the like that I am aware of. Have just finished doing a sweep.

Perhaps it's the latest version of firefox, but I do not suffer this problem with any other site that I am logged into.

A page refresh is all it takes for this issue to 'clear itself up' and display me as being online in ATS.

Any ideas as to the cause?
Not a big issue, but perplexing ...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

That's been happening for quite awhile. I think (but could be wrong) it'll happen if you jump between ATS (the Conspiracy tab) and BTS (the blue off-topic tab). It happens to me all the time. The status will show something like, "Member was on ATS 5 minutes ago" when to my mind, I never left.

[Edit to add]

Just clicked the link to the latest survey about bin Laden. When I came back, the status showed "Member was on ATS 5 minutes ago". So whether you log off or not, anything you do to jump to a location off the ATS tab will show you as gone. This is very different than logging out. I almost never log out, just close the browser. Come back the next day, and I don't have to log back in. I'll show as gone, but I'm not logged out, automatically or otherwise.
edit on 5/10/2011 by yeahright because: ETA

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

That kinda clears it up then.. It's possible I'm going to BTS on threads and not even noticing the difference..

I too never really log out..just close browser and open again later..

At least I'm not the only one that this happens to.. thanks for the confirmation that this seems to be a known thing and I'm not getting zapped by mind controlling zombie oranges..

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Yeah, it's been that way for a while. I am guessing since the ATS 2010 change over?

Not sure if it is due to BTS (I hardly ever go over there and I will still see myself as online 5 minutes ago).

Maybe if you sat still on the page you previously viewed and the site didn't 'reload' you quick enough to show you as online again by the time you went to a new page? Not sure.

But it's not just you.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
thanks for the confirmation that this seems to be a known thing and I'm not getting zapped by mind controlling zombie oranges..

Those aren't exactly mutually exclusive events. Just sayin'.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Well, to add to the oddness, I have several tabs open with ATS loaded on them...
One of those tabs is the "New Topics" page, which automatically loads itself.. I believe it does so when a thread is posted... And knowing ATS, to not get a thread posted in 5 minutes is kinda like not getting a new sorcha faal thread somewhere...

I swear they spelt "sutcha fool" wrong..

So, with that page refresh, I should never see that I've been "gone" for any amount of time..

strangerer and strangerer....

reply to post by yeahright

oh!!!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I kmow what you are talking about.

I have logged in to ATS and closed my browser completely and came back and it showed me still logged in.

Since this is a conspiracy site,,,I think it is the PTB at ATS doing it to manipulate their stats with Google and other sites that look to see how many visitors there are.

More visitors this site has the more money they can get for ad placement.

Just my thought on the subject.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

"Visitors" has nothing to do with who's logged in and who isn't. The analytics for ad purposes don't distinguish between visitors and members, or who's logged in. Whether or not someone is logged in as a member is irrelevant.

Real-time data displays about exactly when someone logs in and logs out, or leaves without logging out, would put an additional strain on resources. Would you prefer some lag time on that data, or wait a lot longer for a page to load?

join