It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking truth in all this noise – a voyage of discovery ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Quite an ambitious topic title, I know – but I feel that this journey I am on should be shared, as it may enable others to break free of the cyclic motions of “life”.

By life, I don’t mean this gift we are all given – by “life”, I mean the daily grind which encapsulates, enslaves, and eventually grinds us down to apathetic creatures.

Do you ever find yourself looking up at the heavens, the glittering, awe inspring and humbling cosmos arrayed before you in all its glory … and that “feeling” washes over you? The feeling of excitement, mixed with apprehension?

It’s as though there is a simple answer, but the more you try and find it, the further from reach it becomes.

So, like me, you spend your time working, becoming that successful person that society convinces you will make you happy.

You achieve the accolades, the rewards; the nice house, nice car, nice friends, nice everything.

As in a video game, you progress – you “level up”, but after the first few levels, it becomes somewhat … grey. The original lustre of achievement is replaced by an apprehensive, pent up struggle to reach the next level.

But it takes more and more time, and you invest more energy, only to discover that the next level is less fulfilling than the level you are already at – because it takes more “time” out of your already fleeting day.

And here’s the kicker – it’s a self fulfilling and replicating cycle. You can’t stop working, because it would be seen as failure, and you’re accustomed to the “rewards”, even though, in your heart, you know they are not fulfilling you.

Buddhism sums it up in a neat little soundbite (one of the 4 Noble truths)

“Suffering is caused by desire and attachment.”

I can speak from intimate experience – I currently run a business which generates over $1.5 mil a year. I drive a $200,000 sports car, live in the best house money can buy. I own a good sized investment portfolio.

I am physically fit, and have a great circle of friends.

And if I’m completely honest with you, I feel nothing.

Ask anyone who plays World of Warcraft – once they reach level 70, it gets boring. You wait for the next update, so it can be “exciting” again – this is the parody of life.

In 99% of cases, the established “system” works – solely due to the fact that 99% of people do not achieve level 70, which is financial freedom. Therefore, they are perpetually stuck in the cycle of working, to achieve the success which will give them the “reward” everyone tells them is there.

My point is this – the reward is fake.

It doesn’t exist. You don’t get christened by a golden halo and loud pinging noises (anyone who plays WOW understands).

Life does not suddenly click into place.

So … if money, power and success are not the answer; what is?

This is what I’m devoting the next 12 months of my life figuring out.

I am selling my business, in effect retiring at 30, to enable my eyes to fully open, and I pledge to bore you all with what I figure out.

Wish me luck.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

It's nice to see someone with a plan of action on this matter. It's a brave and admiral thing you're embarking on and I wish you the best. Let us know if you figure it all out.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
i know this might sound like a cliche, but do what makes you happy. skydive, go swimming with sharks.. downhill mountain bike on the side of a volcano.. its all about the buzz, the thrill of omg if this goes wrong i die, either tht or its family for some, spend time with friends and family..
or a bit of both.
but im sure you already know this

enjoy the ride,and good luck,, break a leg, it might hurt like hell but at least you have a great story to tell afterwards.

edit on 10-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: spelling check fail...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamawitness

It's nice to see someone with a plan of action on this matter. It's a brave and admiral thing you're embarking on and I wish you the best. Let us know if you figure it all out.

Thank you. I guess I can't shake this feeling of everything not being "right" - and I need to figure it out.

I'm thinking (thanks to a suggestion in another post), of buying a massive amount of land, and spending my money and time growing organic fruit and vegetables - and then opening the gates on the weekend and offering it to free for needy families.

This is one of the ideas ... not sure if it's the right one tho.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
i know this might sound like a cliche, but do what makes you happy. skydive, go swimming with sharks.. downhill mountain bike on the side of a volcano.. its all about the buzz, the thrill of omg if this goes wrong i die, either tht or its family for some, spend time with friends and family..
or a bit of both.
but im sure you already know this

enjoy the ride,and good luck,, break a leg, it might hurt like hell but at least you have a great story to tell afterwards.

edit on 10-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: spelling check fail...

Problem is I've done it all - I was in the military, so had my share of excitement.

I'm up at 4am training every day, so I see the sunrise when I'm out walking each morning ...

Problem is all the above is about chasing a high - that's not what I'm after. I want to fulfill my life's purpose.

Just need to figure it out - suggestions more than welcome guys (and girls)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Best of luck man! Honestly

If your serious about doing this then fair play to you! It's an extremely ambitious and I think worthwhile thing to devote your time and energy to.

I hope you find what your looking for
Do let us know how you get on though
Rock and roll!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Spiritual recalibration and spreading love, truth, and wisdom unto others. As well as simply experiencing this life but remaining detached from most things - if not all things - within it.

Blessings on you and your quest.

BTW, WoW is up to lvl 85 now.

edit on 10/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

Spiritual recalibration and spreading love, truth, and wisdom unto others. As well as simply experiencing this life but remaining detached from most things - if not all things - within it.

Blessings on you and your quest.

BTW, WoW is up to lvl 85 now.

edit on 10/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

Hahha - I only got to level 45 before it got extremely frustrating.

But yes, I agree - but the issue I have is I am a very cynical, jaded person - so spreading "love" is going to be a massive challenge.

I'm hoping to find a purpose which I know is right ..

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
There are no things - only 'patterns' - some are stable, some are dynamic and shifting.
Physical
Biological
Social
Mental.
........etc.
They are really independent but nested worlds each with their own rules, dynamics and currencies.

You have got lucky in the social world - houses railroads, cities planes - they are all the physical reflections of a dynamic social 'pattern' .

If I were you I would spend some time developing your mental world - go to university or maybe better research something yourself!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I opened this thread not really knowing what to expect, however I am glad I did. Knowing that someone on the complete opposite side of the spectrum of me is thinking the same reaffirms my current position on the subject. I have currently been bombarded by an idea that has prevented me from moving on in all aspects of my life work, school, and relationships. What is the point of trying to further myself in these ways, if I am still gonna be just as "blah" as I am now.

I asked myself why I enjoyed video games especially so as a kid. Of course the first thing that comes to mind is the quest/reward system. The problem now is I have a hard time finishing games. This is not because of difficulty, perhaps it is because of the repetitiveness of most, although I think the reason is I know these games can be beaten. It's not being conceited, these games are just made to be beaten. I basically have restricted myself to on-line multi-player games since other people are the only real challenge, thats beside the point.

Tangent: life would be much more enjoyable if there was a more clear cut quest/reward system. Instead of me just going to work everyday so I have a place to sleep and food to eat. Perhaps there could be a way to combine the two and make my daily grind more enjoyable.

If life was a game what is the end reward? There is no way to truly know, which means the main point to focus on should be the quest or life itself. Of course this seems to go against many religions, where they are concerned with the reward(heaven, virgins,...) I am not saying religion is bad, perhaps I am about organized religion, however that is a completely different debate.

What is the quest though is the real question.

My guess is to discover the meaning of life.

How? This I do not know. Maybe its different for everyone, maybe society has to do it as a whole.

I think society needs to push past and solve all of its bitter pointless problems before anyone can really begin to start this adventure. If there are those in the world that aren't free to search for themselves, then what right do I have to try. I'm not saying you shouldn't, by all means please try. I just think these problems, will ultimately get in the way whether you like it or not. Some consider it of fate or karma or just the way bad things tend to happen to good people.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury / signifying nothing."

There is no meaning to anything. There is no good, there is no bad. There is nothing.

Embrace the void to find inner peace.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I feel like I could have written your OP...

After struggling to get to the top for years I found no reward or even satisfaction. Me and my husband get a lot of respect from the people in town, but that is only because they see success and money, they still see the illusion because we have what they want. It's not even fun.
I also play wow and quit after reaching lvl 85...

My husband, who doesn't have a spiritual bone in his body, he wants a big house, a nice car, luxurous vacations and showing off his money.... but here is what we did instead:
We bought a small house in the middle of the woods and we drive the companies car which has lettering on it.
I don't need or want more then that.

When I work in my garden I feel satisfied, when I take care of my animals I feel satisfied, when I watch nature or the animals, paint or write... I feel satisfied.
When I work in the company and earn money and everyone gives me compliments and credit for that... I don't feel a thing, it doesn't matter... I think I was happier years ago when I was working in a fast food restaurant.

That said, your forgetting one major thing: the ease of money.
I often ask myself: could I go back to the times when I didn't have a dime? Would I be happy? I think the answer would be "no". Money problems can cause so much stress, it breaks up relationships and gives you a depression.
Someone with no money wouldn't be able to take care of many animals or buy hobby materials, they can't even enjoy the fun in cooking because they have no money to buy the ingredients! (I've been there...pasta with a can of tomato soup tastes very good if you don't have anything else)

So I think it's wrong to say that "money doesn't satisfy"
fame and reaching the top does not bring satisfaction, but the money is damn easy!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Good luck on your next venture, friend. I recommend you ensure your financial security before you embark on this adventure as well as letting your close friends know your intentions.

The cake is a lie.

new topics

top topics

join