It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you see the crazy red moon in the southeast? or Florida more specifically.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
(I had no idea where to put this)

It was the darkest red I have ever seen the moon to be.... and then it disappeared.

I didn't even know it was going to get that cloudy. It was the type of clouds you can't really see at all at night, The smoggy type. Someone mentioned # carrying over from all that's happening in the far east but that seems a stretch to me.

I don't know what caused the moon to be that way tonight but it was like I've never seen it... so I want to know if anyone else saw it and if there is an explanation because I haven't found one yet. It wasn't even a full moon and it wasn't the afternoon sun. This was going on after midnight. It was a fair way up in the sky and was crescent.... and dark red until it could no longer be seen. It looked really weird to me. I can't believe there is nothing on the net about it. I'm sure a lot of people saw it and it looked strange to them too.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

I think that was the moon I seen....dunno...too many trees, gave up and dismissed it as such.
Was a firey orange and sat low in the sky to my S-SW.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
ok... this is weird because now i am seeing stars in the sky and I still don't see clouds. Although i do admit the sky has a weird purple color to it. like eggplant.... and the moon was just dark dark red... then it disappeared.

I don't see much on weather radar. why in the world could that be happening? there is no eclipse... and where is the moon now? I don't see it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSilverGate

I think that was the moon I seen....dunno...too many trees, gave up and dismissed it as such.
Was a firey orange and sat low in the sky to my S-SW.

this was dark red... at first it was dark orange on a purple sky then around 12:30 it was dark red and the it completely disappeared and i have no idea what kind of clouds are in the sky to be doing that. they must be very high up in the north. north north west is the direction i saw the moon. I'm in central florida.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
yes. i saw it. i go on drives late at night most of the time, and when i saw it, i thought "that is very odd". the crescent shape was wrong, more like a bracket. the shadow line was flat across the whole thing, and only on the ends did it curve. it was really big and orange.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

drats..I live in NW Florida and did not see it but I have seen it red during hot summer nights. Maybe it's the
smoke from the fires in Texas doing this. They say because of volcanic activity that the sunsets will
have extraordinary colors but I do understand this was after midnight. Sometimes recently I looked at the
moon and thought ..there is something odd about this..then dismissed it. Not trying to lead you or mislead
you..at my age my sight is a bit blurry.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by njl51

drats..I live in NW Florida and did not see it but I have seen it red during hot summer nights. Maybe it's the
smoke from the fires in Texas doing this. They say because of volcanic activity that the sunsets will
have extraordinary colors but I do understand this was after midnight. Sometimes recently I looked at the
moon and thought ..there is something odd about this..then dismissed it. Not trying to lead you or mislead
you..at my age my sight is a bit blurry.

hmm... maybe there is smoke in the air.... I just didn't see any today, but smoke would be a better explanation than position or time or lunar event or something... because this was a red moon that just didn't look like it had any reason to be that color. i stared at it because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. It looked like a drop of blood to me just before it disappeared. That was strange. I thought "there must be something in the air or the moon is falling away" because I couldn't think of any other reason it would be that color right then.

I worry about the moon falling away.

Does that ever happen to planets? like "oops, there goes the moon... it slipped"

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

maybe something could pull it away. are you referring to red shift? i assumed the object would have to be at a decent velocity to produce an effect like that. all i know is, tomorrow will be interesting.

did anyone else notice the curve was wrong? is it just me? after i saw the big red moon, thats the first thing i thought. i've never seen it make that shape. kinda like "]" with only small curves at the edges of the shadows, mostly straight across in the middle.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I found this doing a search of Blood Moon. A red moon can appear just after moonrise or before it sets. A particle in the air from a forest fire or a volcanic eruption which obscures light from the sun and the moon causes the red color. Can anyone else come up with some input to support or not support this information? I'd say, "Red sunset at night, tomorrow sailors delight...", but what do I know? Must have been a cool sight. Last year I was driving in February through North Florida and either there was a controlled burn happening or there was an uncontrolled fire somewhere causing thick plumes of smoke for quite a long distance along US10. Maybe something similar is responsible for tonight's event? Wish ya had a picture...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

maybe something could pull it away. are you referring to red shift? i assumed the object would have to be at a decent velocity to produce an effect like that. all i know is, tomorrow will be interesting.

did anyone else notice the curve was wrong? is it just me? after i saw the big red moon, thats the first thing i thought. i've never seen it make that shape. kinda like "]" with only small curves at the edges of the shadows, mostly straight across in the middle.

I don't think I mean that, I'm not referring to radar phenomenon... I don't mean gradually... i mean with more velocity.
Like something forces it out of the gravitational hold.

It tripped me out because it looked like it was sinking into the sky, getting smaller and darker in color.... like bleeding into black....like something pulled it away.
..and then it was gone

edit on 10-5-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 02bmw76
I found this doing a search of Blood Moon. A red moon can appear just after moonrise or before it sets. A particle in the air from a forest fire or a volcanic eruption which obscures light from the sun and the moon causes the red color. Can anyone else come up with some input to support or not support this information? I'd say, "Red sunset at night, tomorrow sailors delight...", but what do I know? Must have been a cool sight. Last year I was driving in February through North Florida and either there was a controlled burn happening or there was an uncontrolled fire somewhere causing thick plumes of smoke for quite a long distance along US10. Maybe something similar is responsible for tonight's event? Wish ya had a picture...

I wish i had a picture too. I wish SOMEBODY had a picture because that was the craziest moon I've seen I think. orange on purple sky, a low hung crescent... then it gets redder and redder until it looks like a drop of blood as the sky goes black and both disappear.

now the stars are out and I don't see clouds.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have pictures. I saw this object to the west, north west of my home in central new york. Brightest thing I have ever seen and it was not the moon. I know because it tracked in the opposite direction and moved way too fast. The moon ever since has been in an entirely different place in the sky and has barely moved for several hours in the sky, also the moon was white. This object moved a large distance in 10 minutes. It was night time and I did not have my tripod setup. Pictures were taken with lens pressed against my bedroom window facing west. There is movement but you can see a few lights on the ground for reference. I too saw clouds passing in front of the j shaped object also and that is why in the pictures it looks like it is in pieces. I assure you it is huge and J to crescent shape. It was there and gone real fast. I took a few pictures of it high in the sky and it was gone for 10 minutes. When it came back it was right near the horizon and was only visible for about 2 minutes and gone. Wish I had a better picture but the shutter had to be open for about 6 seconds to properly expose. It was hard to keep the lens still that whole time. When you go to the link you may have to right click and select "view image" to see the pic fit your screen if you have a mac or in windows right click and "save image". This is because the image is full size when you go to the link and it is a 12 MP picture and you will see black at first and have to move around the large image to see it. Sorry, I am trying out a new cloud app that I posted the pics on.

new topics

top topics

join