It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests break out in Mexico

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

Jail is another reason they probably wont legalize it. So much money is being made off of the outrageously high incarceration rate in the United States. Why legalize it if your making so much money off of people going to jail because of it. I wonder if they are protesting in mexico partial to cut off NAFTA that ruined their corn industry.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chesster
reply to post by dalan.

Ya.. I might of done drugs in my life, and to be honest 100% of all interactions with people was awesome, and chill. No war, fighting none of that. It's just an underground market to get them here. It's funny once they are in the states its nice people selling them for the most part you have to be business savvy to sell drugs, and violence is bad business. But down there it's worth for them to risk it all to just get it across that stupid border. Besides like you said drugs should be legal, what's the worse that can happen? People overdose? And die? Still their choice of how they want to risk dying in my opinion. People should always be free

Excellent point you brought up about the issues surrounding the arguments for legislation banning illegal drugs. There is an excellent quote written by John Stuart Mill in his book On Liberty which sums up my feelings quite nicely:

That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant...

Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.

Here's the link if you want to read his essay:

On Liberty

When it comes to criminalizing any substance, or activity, the "we're doing this for your protection" is the lamest excuse ever. People can make their own decisions regarding what they do with themselves.

Or to themselves.
edit on 5/10/2011 by dalan. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

And remember it's basically private labor camps now. Corporations pay the inmates 40 cents an hour. TO do whatever product or services. Even our states, the license plates, which should be subsidized since they are being made by inmates. But great point.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Hey hecking out essay now, thanks for link. I do look into everything, it's the nerdy writer in me.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

And also, there is a company that makes the clothes and a company that makes the food that all get money from us tax payers too. I don't think the few prison farms that are out there are big enough to meet all the demands of all the prisoners we keep here.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Ya, the only citizen with power these days to change the system is Citizen Money. It really is rough out there then you have the brainwashed masses turning against their neighbors over a joint. Most of the politicians are alcoholics, all cops drink, but yet the peaceful stoners and people using their liberties as a human are the ones that suffer. eventually they will have to legalize all, especially if they want us to go paperless money. I think thats only reason we haven't just switched over to chipped atm cards, people love drugs. They just hate to admit it. But everyone is poppin a pill, smokin a j, drinking a brew, takin a xanax, or poppin a vic. It's human nature to seek out fun experiences.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Ok...the risk is little children dying as a result of people being high off their a$$.

Description of The Slippery Slope

The Slippery Slope is a fallacy in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any argument for the inevitability of the event in question. In most cases, there are a series of steps or gradations between one event and the one in question and no reason is given as to why the intervening steps or gradations will simply be bypassed. This "argument" has the following form:

Event X has occurred (or will or might occur).
Therefore event Y will inevitably happen.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because there is no reason to believe that one event must inevitably follow from another without an argument for such a claim. This is especially clear in cases in which there is a significant number of steps or gradations between one event and another.

Examples of Slippery Slope:

1. "We have to stop the tuition increase! The next thing you know, they'll be charging $40,000 a semester!"

2. "The US shouldn't get involved militarily in other countries. Once the government sends in a few troops, it will then send in thousands to die."

3. "You can never give anyone a break. If you do, they'll walk all over you."

4. "We haz to keep teh drugs illegal or else all teh childrens will die!!11!!!!

If what you say is true, that drugs are illegal because children will die from their parents lack of attention because they are stoned...then the human race would have died out centuries ago.

Here's a fun exercise for you: use google and search up the history of drug use from around the world. The results may shock you, especially the part where the human race survives because children are not dying left and right because people are "high off their a$$."

Now, do you care to rescind that stupid statement?

Stupid? I thought it was brilliant.

Perhaps a little child in your life needs to be affected for you to STFU and open your eyes.

1. You want drugs to remain illegal to "protect children."

2. You want a child to be harmed so I will "STFU and open my eyes."

3. lolwut?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
Ok...the risk is little children dying as a result of people being high off their a$$.

Now, do you care to rescind that stupid statement? Perhaps a little child in your life needs to be affected for you to STFU and open your eyes.
edit on 10-5-2011 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

Children die every single day from people being drunk. Should we go back to banning booze too?

Making alcohol illegal created organized cartels just like we have with drugs today. I'm hard pressed to think of an example of where the government interfering with the free will of people made the situation better, not worse.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by WhatIveSeen

Here's hoping that the people turn against the cartels and kick some butt!

The best way to beat the drug cartels would be by legalizing all drugs.

Then honest citizens can become entrepreneurs and start their own businesses.

Eventually, the violent drug lords will be put out of business and will no longer have the funds or influence to terrorize people.

Illegal Narcotic Sales where 368 Billion Dollars last year. It's the biggest cash Business in the world.

To get a good comparison of how big Microsoft Sales were 58 Billion dollars last year.

With such huge sums and profits to be made strong evidence exists that one of the number one benefactors is the CIA and other Intelligence Agencies who often help get the raw and refined product across international borders and long distances to supply to violent cartels through Agency employed and related cutouts.

The CIA and other Intelligence Agencies use this untraceable and unreported cash to run black operations off the books and without congressional oversite.

Pre Septemer 11, 2001 Afghanistan exported 7% of the world's Heroin. The most lucrative of illegal narcotics. Since the invasion of Afghanistan production as now reached 72 percent of the world's supply. Much of it, enters North America through Canada.

In a lot of ways, when it comes to where the real bulk of the cash crop is entering from, Mexico is the smoke, and Canada is actually the fire.

Classic misdirect.

With the ATF guilty of supplying advanced weaponry to the cartels in poorly thought out sting operations that put massive amounts of high calibre weapons in the streets, and resulted in no arrests or later confiscations of the weapons, there is a strong case for the US Government stoking the fire.

So yes legalizing it would change it all, and if the above wasn't powerful motivation for the Government not to do so, a huge private corporate owned prison system has been relentlessly expanding to warehouse all the people convicted of drug related crimes, while performing pennies per hour labor for the corporations who sell the products that the prisoners make, for huge profits, and services that they can render, with little to no overhead as most of the operation is funded by the tax payers, with private corporate entities making the bulk of the profits.

The War on Drugs is one lucrative cash cow for a lot of different entrenched interests and was the forerunner and hand in hand sister of the War on Terror police state, where the most terrorized people of all are the citizens based on their own government's actions and laws.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

That was one of the best summaries that I have seen regarding this issue.

I've always personally felt that, if law enforcement were as proficient as they claim to be at "cracking down on drugs," then there wouldn't be any find in the US.

A lot of people claim that all the wars in the Middle East have been over oil, and while that certainly is true, heroin was just as important.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack
This is great.
As long as they stay there, and don't come here.

Yeah, not like the CIA and every other American spook and assassination organization won't be down there

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Good for them! Someones gotta protest because the US Gov doesn't care! The Gov allows the contributing to them. It's all in Mexicos hands now.

Uh yeah they're too busy trying to handle the 15 million illegal Mexicans in the U.S.
Now we got to go down there and fix their problems too? I thought everyone wanted the U.S. to stay out of other countries...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

YEPYEP>>> Put the Cartells and the US Gov out of the dope trade biz.And teen kidnapping trade (jails).
All the other alphabet soup agencies loose there war on drugs money. (war on our kids) and every one can go back to using prisons and jails for criminals .!!
Only after we wake the rest of the people up !

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Well. we did create about 150% of the issues in Mexico. They are a resource rich country. Except the same thing that happened to us happened to them. American Corps took over. Even the Cartels are backed by the CIA, and some of our politicians are greatly benefiting.

And the reason we have so many Mexican illegals, is the same reason we had millions of Italian, Irish, Polish, German, hell UK illegals. Do you think the original Americans were invited guests of the natives? You think the Native tribes had a statue saying give me your poor, sick, huddled masses.

The only reason Mexicans are such an issue is because we need a boogey man to blame for our issues. You think trillions of tax dollars go for Pedro and his taco stand family? Or do you think it goes towards corporations, defense budgets to conquer the world, and politicians.

Only the brainwashed would ever think that those poor people are soaking up all our money. In fact if it wasn't for them we wouldn't even have an economy. We wouldn't have cheap food at restaurants, housemaids, or even FRUIT or VEG.

Unless you are going to go out and pick them for us? If we stay in our own neighborhood and fix the problems here before the mid east we would be in heaven. This side of the world is rich, and relatively peaceful. If they spiral out of control so do we, then we will be stuck in a walled up country like Israel.
Or worse they spiral so bad we have to institute a draft to take care of our borders. I rather not force people into a draft to join the murdering vampires known as marines.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join