It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weight Of The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
This has confused me for sometime. My friend says the world will stay the same weight forever because the minerals ad stuff we use are made into buildings, thus not adding any weight.

BUT!!!!

What about people?? People die every day BUT people are born everyday, if the people dying are fewer that the people being born, does this mean the world could get heavier?? to the point the ground cracks?? haha I know it wont crack, but will it get heavier??

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well we're built out of minerals also, so the weight will still be the same. I grow because I eat food, thus the planet isn't going to weigh more. I'm merely taking in minerals.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It's my understanding that people are formed of the elements. What I mean is that all of the chemical and physical reactions that take place during the growth of a person (or anything, for that matter) all come from the existing matter. No matter how many people there are, there is X amount of mass on planet Earth, from what I understand.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Ummm no, we are made from things already on the planet so our weifght is always recycles, unsells we die in space. But the weight changes very slightly as we send things into space such as satellites and as meteors hit the planet and become part of it

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

We consist of chemicals which come from the ground and the air so we take from there & return to the ground when we die.

However the planet looses atmosphere to space and radiates a little radio energy which steals some mass.

It also sweeps up any gasses, dust and meterorites which stray too close to its gravitational field too.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

A great many factors are involved in that equation. Consider this one tiny bit.... hydrogen is lighter than air. Oxygen is lighter than water, but if you combine these two light elements you get a heavy molecule. And more; plants convert sunlight and lightweight carbon dioxide into much heavier mass. Burning plants and trees and coal converts heavy mass into energy and gases. Every day our planet is bombarded by particles and material that reach us through space and in the past, meteor showers may have contributed a great deal of mass, including water, to our planet. Matter converted to energy and radiated out to space reduces mass. Heavier? Lighter? I imagine it runs in cycles but very difficult to say where we stand at any one time.

new topics

top topics

join