It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving OZ. Leave your weapons cowboys, a realistic look at survival down under

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

The car had a laminated windscreen, so he was sitting in between us wrapped in the windscreen, it was a van so it was easy to push him back out, call it luck, but all we had was a few scratches from the glass fragments that delaminated. it wasnt a big red , it was a smaller grey.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by Burgo
reply to post by roguetechie

stay home in seppo land mate, only a**holes hurt animals for fun
Indeed. If you want the survive in Australia (not that it's overly hard), you simply need to learn to be one with nature. Respect nature.

heyr guys rogue was kidding.... totally kidding, yikes, sorry i quoted you rogue lol

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Great thread.

However, if a snake bit you then you ought kill it - no matter if it has been declared 'protected' by the government that disarmed you - you are more important than some silly law.

Kill the snake. Bring it to the doctor with you. Survive.

*Or you can trust your brilliant memory and hope to Jesus you and your friends have accurate recall. But at least the government will be happy with you if you die, since that means you probably obey'd the law and all...

Its likely it will get you a second time, or ur mate who is trying to help you, then your both screwed.....some of our spiders or snakes can kill you in under a hour, if you spend time getting your heart rate up trying to kill it, or risk a 2nd dose of venom, u r a goner.....i say stick to the recovery/survival plan outlined kiddo.....well done on the worst advice to date....lol...silly english goose.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

Tourist attacked by kangroo ends up with face & groin lacerations (30 stitches in groin)

ouch.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

My cat used to enjoy fighting possums.
He never won, infact, he cost us thousands at the vets getting stitches..

bloody possums..

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with a bit of Aussie (and International) banter and humor.

However, for those truly interested in this topic, you may want to check out the (Walk softly with) Koa series (and associated DVDs) which follows Koa, a former US citizen who has been living off the land in Australia for the last 30-40 years.

Freedom was his motivation after being jailed in Mexico for 2 years.

Totally self-sufficient.

Lots to learn.

Enjoy

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
hahahah that was gold.

Usefull tips with a hint of humor, got to love this country.

Thanks buddy.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
For those who don't know, A bogan is the Australian equivillant of a redneck, commonly seen driving Holden Commodores, Drinking VB, Wearing tracksuits 2 sizes too small showing copius amounts of muffin top/plumbers crack, wearing ugg boots (women) or thongs (men) and live in Redfern

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Your hanging out with the wrong Americans Zazz.

Anyway if it were not for all the jabs and bias opinion of Americans, I would have really enjoyed your thread. Most everything you stated was what we here in the States consider just intuitive common sense.

One thing you seem to be lacking is that your sixth sense is an important factor while in any outback situation. Just because you wander into an area with animals which will hurt you, does not mean they will.

This leads me to wonder how much true respect you have for the spiritual side of outback hikes and survival trecks into the wilderness.

When you put out tough guy or fear energy, that's what they sense from you and you have a much lesser chance of not arousing their aggressive side.

I cant stress the need of connectivity to nature with a healthy respect for the native plants and animals in any country. You may be familiar with your own outback but how would you do in another countries wilderness?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Where i live down in the Ozarks of Missouri the most dangerous thing we have here are Kansas drivers

although we have venomous snakes and poisonous spiders, you just have to be aware of their habits and favorite hidey places and everything is all good. I have no fear of them and am used to gathering the little critters and have had the pleasure of working with dangerous exotic animals as well, so i have some idea of how to handle them or kill them if need be......Pepper spray works on all animals big or small as does cattle prods. a long spear or a shotgun shell bang stick would work great on crocodiles if i was working the bush and proper clothing and boots would be a must to keep the snakes from getting at me undetected. over the years I've learned all sorts of techniques to deal with the nasty's in the world and survival skills, but the greatest thing one truly must do is to develop a 6th sense and feel the dangers before they present themselves. the closer you get to the earth and become one with it the greater chance you will be able to overcome many of its dangers obstacles and challenges. I'm sure that's how the aborigines were so successful for so many thousands of years , because they moved with the rhythm of the earth and understood her.

great fun thread and right up my alley...THANX

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Don't forget the gangster wannabes and Adelaide.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Forget Bear Grills, the guys a "hero." If you want to learn how to survive out in the bush, look up a guy called Les Hiddens, aka The Bush Tucker Man. He's an ex army major who has lived with tribal aboriginals and learned their ways. He can find food and water anywhere!

Paeace
Bunyipboy

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Fairly sure we have bugs here that other people arent even aware exist yet..

Ive found in my house not one but TWO "spiders" that really looked like half a spider half a scorpion and it was kinda just chillin on the roof.
Oh then there was the insaanely massive mosquito that was bigger than a 50 cent piece.. no idea what the hell that was.
OH and once there was a wolf spider that had made a web in a vase and my mother smashed it and all these little baby ones ran out. that was funny.

God bless Australia.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Keep yourself packed realy realy light,get yourself a diggin stick,a boomerang and an aborigine.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
love this thread im a country bunkin and i would go camping in bush with my swag riffle and just the basics and live of the land for the weekend good fun but you got to do your research where you camp and make note of what wild life is around nuffing worse than a possom stealling ur food

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Now I understand why we sent all the criminals from the UK to OZ, Before suntan lotion, air conditioning and surf boards were invented it must have been a living hell in Austrailia.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by zazzafrazz

You forgot to warn them about "Drop Bears", Yowie's and Bunyips. Oh yeah and the "Big Cats" and 80KG Dingoes!

Big cats reminds me of my father telling me about an animal park he worked at in NSW back in the 70's but when it shut down, they released the big cats (Lions, Tigers...ect) into the wild. Bearing in mind this was in millions of acres of thick forest, it is perfectly possible for them to survive and even breed till this day.
It would certainly explain the goats and livestock found in 40m tall trees.

How many people here know of the local tails of wild monkeys in the blue mountains??

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Great post. I've been watching this website for some time now and this was the topic that made me sign up. So here I am, brand new.
I must say as a fellow Australian I could not have put this any better myself (with exception of the mullet wearing bogans the Aussie must encounter).
As a Rep on the road I have hit 3 Roo's, with all 3 cars being written off and a neck brace on two occasions. I've hit 2 Wombats (1 car with major damage). Been bitten by a Redback Spider on the toilet, lost a dog to a Tiger Snake, experienced the stingers in the FNQ waters, watched a croc take a dog off a beach not far north of Cairns.
I live just 41 kms from Melbourne CBD, on the eastern side of Port Philip. I encounter at least 3 Tiger Snakes in my backyard each year, and plenty more in the reserve behind my home. There are shark sightings not more than 100 meters from my home each year, stabbings on weekends at the nightclubs 4 kms down the road, I battle ridiculous traffic on our freeways (and I'm charged a toll for it), dodge speed cameras and red light cameras.
But I soldier on.
On a serious note, not withstanding that all of the comments in my post are true, Australia is a unique land and deserves the utmost respect from we feeble humans. This land puts most people back in their rightful place very quickly if left unchecked. Proud Aussie and still here to tell the story!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
HMMM so i got in trouble for posting a picture of a drop bear well let see if this video complies...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join