It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM maize contaminates non-GM crops in Uruguay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Sigh...Monsanto is everywhere.

Source

Contamination of traditional maize crops planted near genetically modified (GM) maize fields may be common in Uruguay, where the cultivation of GM maize has been permitted since 2003, scientists have said.

A study published in Environmental Biosafety Research (25 March) has found GM seedlings in three traditional maize fields. It is said to be the first report of cross-fertilisation between GM and non-GM maize in South America.

Studies on the unplanned presence of GM maize and the contamination of non-GM crops in Latin America have led to some controversial cases, such as a retracted 2001 Nature study from Mexico and a 2007 Peruvian study that led to a libel case against one of the scientists who challenged the findings and a subsequent campaign for freedom of speech for scientists.

And Monsanto's GM maize trial in Mexico has recently re-ignited the debate in the country that boasts the most diverse maize genetic resources.

But, unlike Mexico and Peru, Uruguay permits the cultivation of GM maize. The varieties MON810 and Bt11 were approved for commercial planting in 2003 and 2004, respectively.

And from Australia: Property rights overshadow GM debate

Save the Seeds

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Article from Australia:

I hear the Marsh's benefited a great deal from the fun raising event although I also hear that they are now being investigated for fraud by the federal government & questioned by the ACCC for the $15,000 raised via false pretenses.

The Marsh family has claimed to be the victim by supposedly having the crop contaminated by GM - but didn't tell the people that donated at the fun raiser that they are actually the ones suing the Baxter family and are using the money to fund lawyers.

Also its interesting how the contaminated seed supposedly traveled 2.2km to contaminate Marsh's crop which is said to be scientifically impossible,

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark_Frost

Birds can't carry seeds that far? How is it scientifically impossible? And then there's always sabotage...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Why would a GM grower who would have a better chance at producing a crop sabotage a non-gm farm?

Backwards thinking in my opinion, and a bird carrying a seed 2.5km and conveniently contaminating a non-gm crop? please.... unless maybe the bird was the one trying to sabotage?

And it still comes down to the fact that they are being Federally Investigated for fraud.....sounds to me like some Honest people! *End Sarcasm*

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark_Frost

GM crops are crap. And who said the farmer did the sabotage? Also, birds and other wildlife are exactly who spread seeds.

A farmer who chooses not to grow GM crops, for many good reasons in my book, has some very valid concerns if his or her crops are being contaminated.

top topics

join