It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Should the government be able to text your phone in case of a natural disaster?

page: 2
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Weighing the pros and cons, I say go for it. Radio and TV don't really cut for EAS anymore.

But I definitely agree they should at least pretend to allow us to subscribe and unsubscribe and pretend to make every effort to ensure our privacy




posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It seems like a matter of time before they start implementing these rules on perhaps... I don't know... Newborns..
It will be a good business to start selling phones without that chip or perhaps disabling it.


Starting next year, all new cell phones will be required to have a chip that receives the alerts. Some smart phones already have the technology.


newyork.cbslocal.com...



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro
 


Sure as an emergency response system, these texts are a great idea! I get the Amber Alert texts and they've proven to be able to recover a missing child so this seems like a good idea to get important information out so you know if there's evacuations, whatever,



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro
 


Yeah it is in use already in Australia, check this cockup out lol.

Flood SMS alerts caused communication meltdown, inquiry told



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I already get alerts from CNN on major incidents, Assuming they use if for what its suppose to be used for, doesnt bother me, I mean you should only get a text if the end is near , right? If they spam you for every test and to let you know the royal wedding went off without a hitch , then no thanks.



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Hellllllll no! Would you want to start getting crap like this on your phone?




posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
No they shouldn't be able to text me but then again shouldn't doesn't stop the junk mail texts I get either. Gov should stay out of my pocket & life. Cut it down by three forths starting at the top.



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeTruth_9
It seems like a matter of time before they start implementing these rules on perhaps... I don't know... Newborns..
It will be a good business to start selling phones without that chip or perhaps disabling it.


Starting next year, all new cell phones will be required to have a chip that receives the alerts. Some smart phones already have the technology.


newyork.cbslocal.com...
Wow, neat! So I don't have to worry about getting chipped. Just my phone. How cool and easy to use!

Sorry about that. I was just practicing so that when the TSA/DHS Obama brown shirt SEIU thugs come and force me to have my phone "chipped" it'll sound convincing.



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Expat888
Bad Idea.. Dont want sms messages from ANY government. Im quite capable of taking care of myself.
Bad enough getting the odd sms for 4D or offering videos of hot girls..


Yep, that's all well and good and selfishly "good for you".

However, in the messages I received from Civil Defence were dates and times for public information meetings,where to get water, where to seek assistance, where to go if your home was destroyed, how to get grants, access to assistance and lots of other support network information.

I thought I was all " hunky dory" and could look after myself thank you very much, but after experiencing the shock, confusion and destruction I was very thankful for such a system.

In my lifetime have experienced more than a fair share of wars and natural disasters and survived just fine without any damn government assistance I have the skill, knowledge and experience to live off the land without all the "conveniences" of modern life.. Would have been dead long ago if wasnt for my knowledge and skills. So again no thanks to any government meddling in my life.. Its my life I live it on my terms.. Ive no fear of dying.. Everyone dies sooner or later thats life. The nanny state in the west makes people depend on them out of fear.. Its not about them caring about the people as they dont - the sms alerts are one more way they remove peoples self-reliance and ability to take care of themselves because "big brother" will take care of them. As the saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" is quite appropriate in regard to an sms alert system.



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Lol @ even when people try to help them it's a conspiracy.
When you die, and right before you do ... you complain that you didn't get a text.

I'ma be rofllin' on the ground



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It can help. As far as monitoring goes they already can so it can help if used correctly. They may see celestials first or underground tremours signaling quake tsunami-yellowstone.
edit on 5/10/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Depends what they consider an emergency.. They could easily use this to fear-monger.



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Expat888
Bad Idea.. Dont want sms messages from ANY government. Im quite capable of taking care of myself.
Bad enough getting the odd sms for 4D or offering videos of hot girls..


Yep, that's all well and good and selfishly "good for you".

However, in the messages I received from Civil Defence were dates and times for public information meetings,where to get water, where to seek assistance, where to go if your home was destroyed, how to get grants, access to assistance and lots of other support network information.

I thought I was all " hunky dory" and could look after myself thank you very much, but after experiencing the shock, confusion and destruction I was very thankful for such a system.

In my lifetime have experienced more than a fair share of wars and natural disasters and survived just fine without any damn government assistance I have the skill, knowledge and experience to live off the land without all the "conveniences" of modern life.. Would have been dead long ago if wasnt for my knowledge and skills. So again no thanks to any government meddling in my life.. Its my life I live it on my terms.. Ive no fear of dying.. Everyone dies sooner or later thats life. The nanny state in the west makes people depend on them out of fear.. Its not about them caring about the people as they dont - the sms alerts are one more way they remove peoples self-reliance and ability to take care of themselves because "big brother" will take care of them. As the saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" is quite appropriate in regard to an sms alert system.



Yes, but it's not just about YOU.

There are many vulnerable people who have been helped by systems such as this. I was able to empty chemical toilets for the elderly and infirmed because this system made it easier to access information to be able to assist in a coordinated way; but sure, carry on living just for yourself!

edit on 10-5-2011 by aorAki because: spac ing



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
If that will happen, they should also send some load so that we can be able to help them spreading the news about the disaster ... it will help much



posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Today will be to inform you...
Tomorow it will be more invasive.
Maybe its a trick to get deeper into our pockets.
This way hey will have the upper hand by telling you that you have been informed but you didnt comply with their directions. So the penalties of law will be harder. You will have no excuse.
Your freedom will extend and rely up upon your next message or however they contact you.
These things must be stopped before they grow.
Its easier to uproot a baby tree than a full grown one...



posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikepopy
Today will be to inform you...
Tomorow it will be more invasive.
Maybe its a trick to get deeper into our pockets.
This way hey will have the upper hand by telling you that you have been informed but you didnt comply with their directions. So the penalties of law will be harder. You will have no excuse.
Your freedom will extend and rely up upon your next message or however they contact you.
These things must be stopped before they grow.
Its easier to uproot a baby tree than a full grown one...


Maybe you should put the weed down.
Second line



posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Bad Idea.. Dont want sms messages from ANY government. Im quite capable of taking care of myself.
Bad enough getting the odd sms for 4D or offering videos of hot girls..


I can't agree with you more. This seems like a precursor to an all out government takeover of wireless service. Maybe I'm being paranoid or highly suspicious of this but don't we have news channels on television and radio now?

Why should the government use taxdollars to text an emergency when they're probably the last ones to hear the news?



posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
No.
It's just more Govt intrusion.

You can keep it.




top topics



 
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join