It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the government be able to text your phone in case of a natural disaster?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Should the government be able to text your phone in case of a natural disaster?

www.cbsnews.com

With the news that TV ownership has fallen for the first time in 20 years and that 85 percent of Americans over 18 own a cell phone, some are arguing that a national emergency alert system to text cell phones in case of an emergency needs to be put in place.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It doesn't sound like such a bad idea being able to alert the public to potential dangers by texting their phones. But being a US expat living abroad I receive State Department warnings and advisories regularly. Bad data and fear-mongering. It seems to be more of a propoganda tool than anything. Let them do this and we will regret it. How far away are most people from being able to hear about potential dangers through mass media?

Can they really predict natural disasters? They will be worse than telemarketers. But maybe they will provide some good data, perhaps.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
It seems like a good idea. It's not like this will allow them to steal our info or somethin, considering they can do that anyway

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Already in use in Australia. Was used, but not fully in the Victorian Bush Fires. The Northern Territory has had the system in place for cyclone warnings for a few years. Definatly a potentially life saving system

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Sounds like a backdoor tapping technique to me. As if we'd ever get a warning for anytihng from the government. The only warning we'd ever get for, lets say, a meteor strike, would be the instant before your eyes were singed when you made the mistake of looking up.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BalderAsir
Already in use in Australia.

Was also used to some extent in the recent Queensland floods.
As a measure of how useful it is, it's worth pointing out that in every case I've heard of where it was used, there was subsequent bitching and whining by people later on that they never got a text message and that more lives could have been saved if it worked better.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
As a Medical Proff. I have had cell phones for years. I fail to see what the hype is all about considering texting.The Gov. would never reach me. I don't text. I don't pay for it, I cannot receive it and it is blocked on my phone. I type very fast, but I can talk faster and with a speed dial I know the other person got the message, and I didn't pay for the text. I have internet on three computers so they can send me an emergency email if they wish. I will establish a dead end mail for the gov so they can text me. I will get faster info on the net anyway...Chances are there will be a post on ATS long before I would receive an email or text.
that said. This thread deserves a flag.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I think its a great idea. My phone is the only thing I could receive notifications from 24/7.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If you want the notifications, then sure. If you don't want to subscribe, one shouldn't be made to.

Haven't really watched TV in over 5 years anyways (not that that's saying much, as I'm staring at a screen right now with the same capabilities)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Take your stinking text off my cell phone, you damned dirty ape!

Seriously, what would they warn of? An impending terror attack? Financial meltdown?

Remember the story of the little boy who cried "Wolf"

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is a place where the people need to stand up and fight back with common sense. The concept is a great idea and I like it, but the execution of the plan sucks.

Instead of spending millions, maybe billions of tax dollars to implement the system and under the guise of "creating jobs", the infrastructure is already in place, and working. All the government would have to do is set up a simple alert system that would directly contact all the cell carriers with the affected area and all other important information. Then the cell carriers could then transmit the information to the appropriate customers, plus override any settings that are preventing people from getting texts to begin with. Problem solved.

Now, to make a few things clear. The government must adapt to the cell carriers system, it would be stupid to pass some law to make the carriers change their software systems to match the governments, that is exactly how corporations justify raising prices. The cell carriers must cooperate with the government, period. Under this system it would also create some natural checks and balances in the system, as the cell carriers can decline to send any message that it deems unimportant.

edit on 9-5-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
Sounds like a backdoor tapping technique to me. As if we'd ever get a warning for anytihng from the government. The only warning we'd ever get for, lets say, a meteor strike, would be the instant before your eyes were singed when you made the mistake of looking up.

Well, we might get "LOOK UP!!!!" but that's about it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Civil Defence employed this method of getting their message across in a mass communication sense after the February earthquake in Christchurch.
I, for one, was grateful for this service. I didn't see anything sinister with keeping citizens informed during a natural disaster/state of emergency.
Certainly the information was welcome and this method was just one of the few as they attempted maximum coverage.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Knowing our government, it'd more likely be "You're shoe's untied!"

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Bad Idea.. Dont want sms messages from ANY government. Im quite capable of taking care of myself.
Bad enough getting the odd sms for 4D or offering videos of hot girls..

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This seems (on one hand) to be a really good idea for breaking emergency updates or immediate threats (think shooter on a college campus) and (on the other hand) to be a bureaucratic nightmare. Consider that the Govt. is notorious for its red-tape and general lack of communication/ coordination between agencies, I can only imagine what the reaction would be the first time a text goes out to the public, by mistake...

"whoops, sorry guys, hit the wrong button..."

Ya, we've all done it...

edit on 10-5-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Bad Idea.. Dont want sms messages from ANY government. Im quite capable of taking care of myself.
Bad enough getting the odd sms for 4D or offering videos of hot girls..

Yep, that's all well and good and selfishly "good for you".

However, in the messages I received from Civil Defence were dates and times for public information meetings,where to get water, where to seek assistance, where to go if your home was destroyed, how to get grants, access to assistance and lots of other support network information.

I thought I was all " hunky dory" and could look after myself thank you very much, but after experiencing the shock, confusion and destruction I was very thankful for such a system.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Well said. I don't see anything wrong with an alert to immediately seek high ground. Who knows how many lives may have been saved in Japan. That some people wouldn't have heeded it is irrelevant. SOME would have, and they would be alive.

At this point I think we all agree the government has all the info on us anyway. Letting them text us to warn of danger doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I know it's inconceivable, but not everything the govt tries to do is for the purpose of New World Order Fema Camps.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It's just another way to wire us into government access of our personal and private lives.

It starts out pesented as a benefit but what do the expand it too and what else do they then decide to use the access for.

I don't like the idea.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join