It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Secret Service joins Twitter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

US Secret Service joins Twitter

www.heraldsun.com.au

THE US Secret Service, the elite team tasked with safeguarding the nation's leaders and visiting heads of state, opened a not-so-secret Twitter account today.

The law enforcement agency has already attracted nearly 8000 followers - despite sending just three tweets on its first day of activity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
using it as a recruiting tool...

I can see the urge for a lot of people to dive in to say what they think of them.
I am not a twit, but those who are tempted to blast them should pause and think.

I am sure there are enough Twit's out there that will swamp the US SS account, so leave them to it if you are smart.

And, hopefully, if they do, then the SS is going to have a big list of tweeters to follow up on, and add to their watch lists.
www.heraldsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-5-2011 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

I wonder who gets to type in the tweets?

There must be an agency assigned now just for the task of, What to Say? and Record illicit individuals comments?
Another wonderful way to spend our tax dollars!
edit on 5/9/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Probably VP Biden.

He doesn't have anything else to do anyway.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I dont tweet but i think i would follow it just to see what they are saying.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
*USSS is now following ATS.*

Just thought this should be known.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The Secret Service is involved in a lot more than the protecting of the President, and Vice President, Presidential candidates, visiting foreign dignataries, retired Presidents and others.

They are also involved in counterfitting and bank access crimes, identity theft, hacker crimes, and other frauds.

Many of the crimes they investigate are computer and internet related, so I have no doubt that they are looking to establish more of an internet presence in the hopes that people will provide them more tips, most likely against shadowy organizations like Anonymous.

The Secret Service is by the way one of the more competent and professional of the law enforcement agencies.

Strangely the only Federal one never referred to by it's initials, the SS!

edit on 9/5/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Strangely the only Federal one never referred to by it's initials, the SS!

Agreed.

SS is a bit too close to home now in the US.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Me thinks they have been there all along, now they just have an excuse to be "actively" involved.
2nd.

Also read this:

Control. Alt. Delete! Little more than a week after the U.S. Secret Service launched its official Twitter account, the federal law enforcement agency has had a major system failure. Shortly after 3 p.m. Wednesday, the Secret Service's account declared on the social media site: "Had to monitor Fox for a story. Can't. Deal. With. The. Blathering." The posting was quickly removed, but within a half-hour dozens of other Twitter users had already begun re-posting -- or "re-Tweeting" -- the message. "Love the Secret Service tweets!" one Twitter user said. Read more: politics.blogs.foxnews.com...[ /ex]
politics.blogs.foxnews.com...

edit on 19-5-2011 by jaynkeel because: add link

top topics

join