It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign Takes Apparent Swipe at New Mosque

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

AMHERST, NY - A new mosque recently opened in East Amherst and apparently someone is not happy about it. The sign pictured on this page is located on the lawn of a Transit Road home next door to the new Jaffayra Center. A spokesperson for Amherst Police said they are looking into the situation.

amherst.wgrz.com...

This is still a developing story so there isn't yet much to add as of yet, just thought it was something interesting and figured I'd post it. This brings a whole new meaning to the freedom of speech issue I think as from what I can gather the sign was posted in the persons front yard, yet I can clearly see how people could be really offended by it. Please share your thoughts and opinions and discuss. Has anyone else had something similar happen in their neck of the woods?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Muslims just destroyed christian churches, this while clearly being an attack on Isllam is alot better then if he destroyed thier building. I think if 1 new terror attack happens in the US you will see individuals go from burning books and making signs to attempt removal of this perceived threat.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

This brings a whole new meaning to the freedom of speech issue

No, it doesn't...anyone can come to North America and talk smack - no reason the locals can't.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I have no problem with the sign. There is plenty of reason for a reasonable person to suspect such activity at a mosque. I think he should start sell pork spare ribs from a smoker in his front yard.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

anyone can come to North America and talk smack - no reason the locals can't.

Yep.
Truth in a nutshell.

Of course I'm probably a vile scumbag for saying so.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Pathetic. A pointless stunt which serves only to alienate a growing section of the American population. Things like this aren't exactly the best way to make Muslims feel welcome incase you didn't notice.

edit on 9-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred
Pathetic. A pointless stunt which serves only to alienate a growing section of the American population. Things like this aren't exactly the best way to make Muslims feel welcome incase you didn't notice.

Let's call a spade a spade. I don't want them to feel welcome. I want them to go back home. That is truth, now go ahead and call me an evil, racist, intolerant bigot or whatever. I don't care. They follow a death cult and I don't want them in my country.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

What about the large population of Muslims who are born in the United States? Where should they 'go back home' to? Also what about the thousands of converts every year? Where should they 'go back home' to?

There are millions of Muslims living in America peacefully, it's a shame you only look for the bad in people.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

As a taxpaying, law abiding, US citizen I can honestly say I don't give a damn about making anyone feel welcome. I also don't see the need to intentionally support the growth of a growing section of the American population that expects to be treated as another "special" interest.

No other country wants to keep em and if I went to their country I'd be a hell of a lot less welcome. (And have been less welcome in the 30 or so countries I've visited.) Immigrants are NOT desired in the vast majority of countries on this planet. As a US citizen I'm marginalized for my age, sex, religious beliefs, political beliefs, appearance and any other thing that some 'special' group feels like pointing out but I'm expected to remain silent because I'm a visitor to those countries.

Illegal and legal immigrants come to the US and express their own views in much more offensive and irrational ways than your average US citizen but we keep on living with it.

People need to stop being so sensitive and get on with life. They also need to stop expecting US citizens to be the ones who do all of the "adjusting" so that everyone else is made to feel welcome.

And if they are born here.....they have to live with that pesky freedom of speech thing. Rude and intolerant goes both ways.

edit on 9-5-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

What about the large population of Muslims who are born in the United States? Where should they 'go back home' to? Also what about the thousands of converts every year? Where should they 'go back home' to?
Their parents are from other places, they can go home with their parents. The converts can go with them imo. If you want to be an American, acclimate to America or go home.

There are millions of Muslims living in America peacefully, it's a shame you only look for the bad in people. ]
Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. If one specific group does the largest percentage of homicide bombings, perhaps there is a problem with that group?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

So you feel that Americans, who've lived in America all of their life, love the country and it's values should be deported simply because they are Muslim?

What about your constitution?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Come on man, judge people as individuals, you can't seriously hate an entire group of people because of a few bad apples.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

What about your constitution?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Come on man, judge people as individuals, you can't seriously hate an entire group of people because of a few bad apples.
I have to ask. Were you able to keep a straight face when you wrote this? Shall we list all the discrimination against the Christian religion running rampant in our nation right now? Ten Commandments not being allowed to be posted, Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, manger scenes being disallowed where people might actually see them. The list goes on and on and on. So, if we are to stop discrimination then let's stop it in it's entirety. However, "discriminating" against a group that sponsors homicide bombers, well that's just plain wrong.
/sarcasm

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I'm against ALL discrimination, no one should be persecuted for their race or religion. People should be judged as individuals, based upon their character, not because of the religion they profess or their race.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well I can honestly say that I am about as far from being Muslim as you can get, hell I am not even really sure on any of the religions as they all seem to have their own demons so to speak. I have though tried through my life to be an understanding and accepting person of others beliefs. While hard to do sometimes most of the time it's not really an issue I think about on a daily basis. I have to admit I did chuckle when I saw the sign as it could be viewed as true and I am naturally a S-disturber so it fit my sense of humor I suppose. But like I said earlier it is going to be interesting to see where this case goes and what kind of crazy regulations they try to concoct to suppress it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I drove by this sign yesterday, did a double-take, figured someone didn't like their new neighbors & the sign was just their way of expressing that displeasure to a wider audience. Tacky? Yes. Insulting? Yes. Illegal? Nope.

The news this evening said the building was built close to the persons home & that it has very bright outdoor lighting & that is likely what sparked the sign in the first place.

edit on 11/5/2011 by lynn112 because: edit to add: I tend to agree, the Mosque is really close to the house & I imagine the lights are a pain to deal with at night.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

It's only a threat because ignorant people PERCEIVE it as one!

The only annoyances that should be "removed" are the ignorant people making such signs and spreading such fear!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
i should go to christian churches and hold up a sign that reads "free child molesting".

in america, being an ass is socially acceptable.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Ya I must be rather ignorant and my powers of perception impaired for seeing people cutting off other peoples heads, blowing people up, destroying buildings, making constant threats... For me to perceive such belief driven actions as a threat ... How silly of me....

And are you so brave to be saying you would like to "remove" me? come on show me your stuff killer...

FIGJAM... Get on the dog, get the dog on!

Im sure the guy above me has alot of practice demonstrating his true nature to know its socially acceptable...
edit on 11-5-2011 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
i should go to christian churches and hold up a sign that reads "free child molesting".

in america, being an ass is socially acceptable.

I thought it was the catholics that were into that? I could be wrong though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join