It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a Hurricane sitting off the New England Coast right now? Sure looks like it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Trust me, I am not trying to be a alarmist but, I came across this video below then went looking myself at different weather radar sites and yes it is true, this storm is sitting out there big as life. And yes, depending on which weather program you use, you can clearly see it has the hurricane shape and it is heading west right ofF the New England coast.

Now what gets me is there are no local weather warnings at all. In fact weather bug just has a hint of rain predicted for later tonight and tomorrow.

I just dont understand how something this big sitting right off the coast isnt getting any news attention. I guess maybe they expect it to just dissipate?

Anyhow just a heads up for you folks in this area. May be nothing at all...

edit on 9-5-2011 by onehuman because: typos

edit on 9-5-2011 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain that's simply a strong low pressure system that has stalled off the coast. It doesn't appear to be worthy of any major concern.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
I'm fairly certain that's simply a strong low pressure system that has stalled off the coast. It doesn't appear to be worthy of any major concern.

I agree, I'm a weather-tard. The problem with people is they don't know what they're looking at to tell me if I'm screwed. You know what I'm saying ?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm going to check another source but, i can see a rather large storm system off the upper north east into Canada. It is not showing as a Hurricane or severe storm system, just allot of rain. Interesting find if there are contradicting weather forecast.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

Yep that is where it is sitting. I said hurricane because it seems to have that same type of rotation. It is pretty dang big whatever it is. And yes, local weather reports act like it is just as clear blue skies as it can possible be. With perhaps a small shower later this evening. Im in Rhode Island and that just doesn't seem to make sense the way the outer band is moving.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Yeah those clouds definitely LOOK like a hurricane does, but I don't think it carries much precipitation. At least, according to the radar images I am seeing.

Strange though, it does have the rotation and the spiral, for sure.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm not that terribly learned in weather science myself, but don't hurricanes have much more of a compact eye - not a big hole in the middle and isn't that tiny eye what makes them organized and dangerous? I think that's what I remember hearing. I live in central Canada, so no hurricanes here.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It is surly interesting.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Look at the strength of this thing. It sucking up moisture down from the Mississippi and Ohio valleys!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Its not a hurricane, they thrive off of warm water which if you look here you can see its not overly warm where the storm shown is located. Most storms by the time they make it that far up the east coast of the US get downgraded to a Tropical Storm or even a Tropical Depression because without the warm water to feed on they rapidly lose strength.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Thanks for the Navy site link! Uhm that one big twister?

I'm about 50 miles West of the Mississippi River. Do you think I'm in danger please?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't see anything. Could you be more specific?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I don't believe this is anything to worry about at least not at the moment. I was looking at the weather over the mid-west close to the Mississippi river area. I can't be sure if that was just clouds or storms. I know it is raining some here where I am but that is east of my location.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Are you talkin to me?

I was referring to that weather patten that the OP posted about. It looks pretty ominous.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

I don't believe this is anything to worry about at least not at the moment. I was looking at the weather over the mid-west close to the Mississippi river area. I can't be sure if that was just clouds or storms. I know it is raining some here where I am but that is east of my location.

However, this large low pressure system is still getting larger off the East Coast.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Thank you for that info! No warm water, no big scary monster storm!

Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!~!!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by onehuman
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

Yep that is where it is sitting. I said hurricane because it seems to have that same type of rotation. It is pretty dang big whatever it is. And yes, local weather reports act like it is just as clear blue skies as it can possible be. With perhaps a small shower later this evening. Im in Rhode Island and that just doesn't seem to make sense the way the outer band is moving.

Generally, all low pressure systems have some form of rotation. The "outer band" you are reffering to is probably just a plain old frontal system, which happens when air masses of different properties meet. A cold front is when a cold air mass displaces a warm air mass, and a warm front is when the warm air displaces the cold. Fronts are generally associated with cloud formation and precipitation, and possibly stormy weather.

I don't have audio where I am, so don't know if there's any extra info contained. But from the looks of it, the radar shows nothing more than an ordinary low pressure system with frontal activity. It doesn't look all that dense either, with only light cloud formation. So proabably nothing much to worry about, but don't let that put you off from keeping an eye on the weather.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This "System" is quite odd and Huge to boot!

Source

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is just a low pressure system. It has what's known as a cold core. Hurricanes also are low pressure systems, but they are warm core. They feed off the warm water rising up into it. Hurricanes also have low level rotation. This doesn't. This only has upper level rotation.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
OK>.....I take back what I last posted about the low level circulation. After looking at buoy data in the Atlantic in the area of this system, there is some indication of low level circulation. The water is still way too cold for this to develop into any kind of tropical system though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join