It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember when the US Army invaded China? Don't remember marching on Beijing? I do.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by muzzleflash

China declared War on the Foreign Powers...

EDIT: For what it's worth, I don't think there is any conspiracy in not teaching it (although they do in the UK) but rather a "what is important" to teach question with limited time, budgets and what have you. I've heard plenty said by Americans about their own School system and it would seem it is "patchy" at best when covering some subjects and in others is downright dodgy....
edit on 9/5/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

Not to change the subject--but if you only knew.... Our educational system is seriously f---ed. Try doing a little research on Bush's "No Child Left Behind" fiasco. We may never recover from that....

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
The Vietnam War was officially a "police action" if I remember correctly. When I was in school many many years ago we covered the Boxer Rebellion fairly well. I seem to remember spending several days discussing the lead-up and follow-through. And there was an essay involved! Yikes!

But most students in high school will face this lesson with a "what does it matter" and promptly forget all about it. I also remember the movie starring Steve McQueen about a patrol boat in the Yangtze during the Rebellion. The Sand Pebbles I think it was. It's a good watch, if somewhat dated.

Interesting thanks for suggesting the flick. I looked it up.
The Sand Pebbles Novel

However the novel and film were not about the Boxer Rebellion apparently, although I would agree they are related at least indirectly but over time the connections are visible.

The Sand Pebbles is a 1962 novel by American author Richard McKenna about a Yangtze River gunboat in 1926.

Here is the link to the Film with McQueen. The Sand Pebbles Film

The Sand Pebbles is a 1966 American period war film directed by Robert Wise. It tells the story of an independent, rebellious U.S. Navy Machinist's Mate aboard the fictional gunboat USS San Pablo in 1920s China.

Remember the Boxer Rebellion was over by 1901.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The boxer rebellion was a disgusting act of tyranny. Thats why they dont teach it to kids in school, they are ashamed of it. They forced their way into china because they wanted what they had. China resisted but was weakened by the introduction of opium. Its the dirty tactics which border on warcrime that they are ashamed of. That is what i hate about dishonorable war, its disgusting.

A freedom fighter is not concerned with humiliating its enemy, killing innocents, or unnecessary violence, all they want is their freedom. They are honorable warriors.

On the other hand, the perpetrators of corruption will be punished, in this life, as they die, or the next.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

If you find the movie I hope you enjoy it.. but you will find it slanted towards the Alliance (Britain and the US in particular)

I have always found the race of the relief force to relieve the legations in Peking intriguing as it shows the self serving nature of nations involved.. since each nation that made up the alliance wanted to be "the" nation to relieve the legations first and get all the glory.. Such is the nature of man..

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
I go to saint johns college high school here in Washington D.C and I was taught all of this stuff in the 10th grade so I don't think they are trying to hide it from anyone, great find though. snf.

Thanks.

I want to hear about all perspectives on this, not just one side.

It does indeed make me feel a little better to know that at least some schools found it important enough to cover at least with some depth.

It appears that each individual school (teacher even?) seems to have been either covering it or choosing to skip it. I am seeing a decent mix so far. I appreciate your contribution.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

If you find the movie I hope you enjoy it.. but you will find it slanted towards the Alliance (Britain and the US in particular)

I have always found the race of the relief force to relieve the legations in Peking intriguing as it shows the self serving nature of nations involved.. since each nation that made up the alliance wanted to be "the" nation to relieve the legations first and get all the glory.. Such is the nature of man..

Great post. Reminds me of the way NATO and Russia raced each other into Kosovo. If anyone remembers that?

Even if it's slanted towards Alliance that's fine I plan to watch it anyways. Heston can make any poor script look awesome.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Sorry, I had to remove the video. I didn't realize until after I posted it that the Youtube poster had put in some rather derogatory comment popups.
edit on 9-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks Slayer

Now I'll have to hunt down the film to refresh my memory

ETA: I noticed those, sort of... meaning that I usually filter such things out and ignore them.. lest they ruin my enjoyment

edit on 9/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
WOW i had no idea about any of this! i finished my history GCSE(UK equiv to highschool) in ermm 2005 i think. And i cannot remember learning any of this.
Can anyone give me links or maybe a thread explaining what changed from 1901 that gov "got off of drugs" It would seem those stories i've heard of the CIA and MI6(or MI5) being the drug dealers might be true?!

edit: opps forgot to say Thanks muzzleflash S&F Very interesting post

edit on 9-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Great post OP.

Reminds me of the Nanking Massacre.

The Nanking Massacre or Nanjing Massacre, also known as the Rape of Nanking, was a mass murder and war rape that occurred during the six-week period following the Japanese capture of the city of Nanjing (Nanking), the former capital of the Republic of China, on December 13, 1937 during the Second Sino-Japanese War. During this period, up to hundreds of thousands of Chinese civilians and disarmed soldiers were murdered and 20,000–80,000 women were raped[1] by soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army.[2][3][4]

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-5-2011 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Interesting.. Great post.. I remember learning about it in school growing up - was in a japanese school . S&F

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
Great post OP.

en.wikipedia.org...

that made me sick to my stomach Dont click that link unless you want to be sick

I wish there was a country i could go live in that i could be proud of and happy to pay taxes

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

Originally posted by DJM8507
Great post OP.

en.wikipedia.org...

that made me sick to my stomach Dont click that link unless you want to be sick

I wish there was a country i could go live in that i could be proud of and happy to pay taxes

Yeah the Second Sino-Japanese war was extremely brutal. It wasn't just the Nanking Massacre either.
I have seen some of the most gruesome and horrific photographs ever that came from that war, and I am not going to go look again but I assume you probably saw what I saw - the Bamboo Punishment for Women.... that was one of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

They even had a secret biological-chemical warfare test unit that would use prisoners as subjects for whatever horrific ideas they wanted to try out. Just like over in Nazi Germany at the same time.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

My God man, you really do learn something new every day, I'm almost 35 and I had no idea until this post, thank you, S&F. Great post and information everyone needs to know.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So nobody ever seen Charton Heston in 55 days at Peking?

It was made back in 63 so that might explain it.

The movie concerns the Boxer Rebellion and the swashbuckling efforts of those trapped there making an escape, more or less.

www.imdb.com...
edit on 9-5-2011 by chiptrim because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
makes me believe that if the chinese ever knew this they would want to retaliate to it's fullest extent.

they know, and they don't forget. that's why they have a standing army of 2,500,000 active personnel and have over 380 million men fit for military service, more than the entire population of the united states of america.

and when the times right they'll probably avenge themselves after they have completely bankrupt the u.s. and watched it's citizens kill each other for a scrap of bread.

edit on 10-5-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
And see that's why NIXON went too CHINA ,, a deal was made.

And thts History

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

the USA even invated russia at one point - it was common practice

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

if you care to check you will find that the us troops at the siege of peking, the start of the boxer rebellion
were us marines. and at that time the u.s. as a country had no holdings in china except missions.
watch the movie 55 days in peking..

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I don't know if this is taught in grade school in Europe or Japan, but I sure as hell know here in the USA it is largely ignored, downplayed, and lied about consistently when it is brought up.

Cant say I remember if they thought this particular little war in china back when in school. But every country and everybody always changes the histories to suit there interests, back in high school and ever since I can remember I took all they thought of history and especially the great battles and wars of history with a grain of salt.

But now that I am older and a little wiser I take it all with a bag of salt, and really there is not enough time in the day or energy in the human body to keep up with all that is being said or not being said concerning history or even current events. But really like I said it's pretty much guaranteed that if it's of some interest to somebody or some group out there then things will get slanted in the history books in there favor.

Thats why common sense logic is the first thing to ask when anybody anywhere gives you a piece of history, it's really quite simple just pose the questions of, if it was humans doing this would it actually go down like they say or is written down, from what you know off all sides involved. But then again that all depends on what you know of history and human nature as well as nature in general, and the more you know stuff the deeper the rabbit hole go's.

Eventually you got to ask yourself is there any actual factual history out there by anybody or any country? Or is it all just pieces of perspectives and interests? The answer I came to is the latter, and it's all just like a jigsaw puzzle, you got to fit the pieces if you want to come out with a bigger and clearer picture of it. And even then there is always the, you weren't there and its all second hand information factor playing on your mind, when interpreting any history.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join