It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face transplant patient ready to go home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Face transplant patient ready to go home

www.cnn.com

Wiens' experience represents a new frontier for reconstructive surgery, said Dr. Jeffrey Janis of Parkland Hospital and University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, who has treated Wiens from the time of his accident.

His injury happened in November 2008 when Wiens, now 26, was painting his church as a volunteer: His head got too close to a high-voltage power line, and he lost almost his entire face from the burns.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It even has the pictures, good for him. It's heart warming science. Strange, wonder if we will see more of these in the future. Or maybe head transplants. Well either way, this is cool. I hope him the best. What is strange is he looks like Arti from Warehouse 13 don't he? I mean after the face transplant not before.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
wow that's best one I've seen, if you seen him in the street you would never know...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I know right, I would ask for an autograph he looks just like the guy from warehouse 13. But yea you would never know. I didn't know they did many others. I've heard of two. But his looked best especially what they had to begin with, he looked like a potato. I can say that now, cause he looks great and I do not mean it in a bad way, I mean, he literally looked like a potato.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

S & F

Good news. Great heartwarming non Gloom and Doom story.
It's good to see technology being used for positive things.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Ya I am tired of only doom and gloom, comets this, virus that, Bin Laden cyborg, CIA brainwashing... so figured sharing this might cheer the crowd up some. Even t the worst possible moment, losing your face... it is great to see you can come back. Tech used right is amazing it can create... plus that little girl wont have too worry too much about teasing or stupid experiences. If they can replace every organ and your face... which leads me to believe your skin can... and if we can regen the brain, we are so close to living forever people..... forever. Or at least one good thing to know... for those of us who weren't bless with looks... we can look forward to stealing some faces soon enough.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thats so amazing. Like he said in the interview, it doesnt seem to be medically possible.

Now on another note the first thing that came to mind when I saw him was the "bug" from Men in Black, the first movie.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That is an incredible story. To think this man can now feel a face again (and his daughters kisses, no less)! Thank you so much for sharing a positive story.

I have a friend who has just undergone a face transplant surgery as well. (also due to an electrical shock) He is still recovering in another city and his family hasn't shared any photos yet but I understand it's an amazing job. It's incredible what modern medicine can do when it's at it's best.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chesster
der if we will see more of these in the future. Or maybe head transplants. Well either way, this is cool. I hope him the best. What is strange is he looks like Arti from Warehouse 13 don't he?

When actors don't have work they resort to serious measures, including selling their faces.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
What an awesome story!
Thank you for sharing such joyous news!
I nearly wept tears of joy for this stranger.

What a wonderful story.

His little girl thinks he's handsome.

Oh how sweet.

Heart warming.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nerdyclutzyblonde

I know right! That story made my day, it was so heart warming I emailed it to everyone I know. I am glad it has received positive attention. And that little girl will hopefully grow up a lot more normal then she would have been.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is awesome.

Great to know he'll be able to feel his daughters touch again.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It is indeed a happy story, he got his, well, a face - back. He can also properly breathe now and hopefully no complications will happen in years to come.

Now the conspiracy side...

Luckily all the costs were already covered.... by the military. Any 'official reason' for this strange move is IMHO automatically void but its really great that this man got his face back without having his grand children pay off the debt. It it reveals just how possible it is now for anyone's face to be replaced.

Other than that, I'm definitely keeping my distance from power cables......

edit on 10/5/2011 by SassyCat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
That is amazing. Happy to see how face transplants are progressing. Wonder how much the new face matches his own, minus the goatee.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

Yea, that is a good question. Maybe it is just for the research since a ton of our military has disfiguring injuries from war.

I hope that's the reason and not some false flag operation with the power lines.

join