It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 90% Afghans Ready for October Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It seems that the efforts of terrorists to keep Afghanistans citizens from participating in the October elections has failed. The UN reports that they have signed up 8.7 million voters out of a possible 9.8 million, and the participation is "amazing."

www.hindustantimes.com
About 90 percent of the Afghan electorate have signed up to vote in October's landmark presidential election, the United Nations said on Sunday, as it began winding down a registration effort marred by bloody attacks on election staff and voters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is good news in face of the troubles ongoing in this recently liberated country. Problems remain in the south & southeast where there are still security concerns for the UN workers. About 12% of the registered population are from this area.

[edit on 8/1/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Afghan, elections are a mockery the goverment is a mockery and the taliban still rules the country, and for the so call 90% of voters registration I will not trurst it either.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Marge the taliban are not in control of the country, and the people are voting for their leader. Of course you will no believe anything that is good news for the war on terror as you want to see Bush fail. Its kind of funny you offer no proof of your claims, yet you don't believe facts posted by other members *shakes head in shame and disbelief *

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Just another example of the U.S. makng the world a better place for all people. Someday soon the same thing will happen in Irq and the naysayers and doubters worldwide will be forced to admit tht the U.S. is not an "imperialistic occupier" but a liberator and guarantor of freedoms.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
let see, Westpoint

Taliban does not rule? you mean in The main citie like Kabul were US security is strong right? And nato seem necessary to send troops for security during elections, hum.........I guess my news sources are diferent from yours ritght?

Nearly three years after the U.S. military toppled the Taliban government in Afghanistan, it�s increasingly obvious that the military effort has failed to fully defeat the enemy, which has regrouped and now threatens efforts to create a stable government there.

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!I am a what you call me (kind of funny you offer no proof of your claims)

� Election workers are being abducted, shot and beheaded.

� Voter-registration sites are being bombed, even when they�re located at mosques.

� The Taliban has begun delivering ominous �night letters� � notes slipped to local officials warning them not to help with upcoming elections.

And still the country manage to register (90%) percent of voters right?

Perhaps the 90% comes from the main cities where security good thanks to american troops right? Oh but the rest of the country well that does not count.

Much of the rest of Afghanistan is controlled by powerful warlords who command large private militias. They are largely financed by a booming and lucrative export trade in opium and heroin.

Now we have warlords right? beside taliban.

In southern and eastern Afghanistan, where Osama bin Laden and Taliban leader Mullah Omar are believed to be hiding, the Taliban effectively controls large swaths of territory. U.S. military officials say foreign Islamist fighters and al Qaeda financiers are aiding the Taliban.

Yeah taliban is gone. Right?

www.afgha.com...

top topics

join