It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should birth control be covered by universal health care?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
No one is taking into account that when the government is paying for it, they negotiate the price that they want to pay for the product. Lowest bidder wins. That means that the government is pay less for the same product than an individual would if it was up to the individual to pay it solely on their own. There is more bargaining power when buying wholesale.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hi there...to answer your question of whether BC should be covered by universal health care I say yes. I do believe it most likely is covered by Medicaid, maybe Medicare but that's for older folks. Don't have a lot of time now but S & F for you.

edit on 11-5-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
I do believe it most likely is covered by Medicaid, maybe Medicare but that's for older folks.

The only situation this would be applicable to is Hugh.

I laughed so hard I woke up my girlfriend, so funny.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aleria
People still seem to be glossing over the whole "regulates the menstrual cycle" thing and focusing 100% on pregnancy prevention. I was forced to start taking birth control very shortly after hitting puberty because of the fact that my period isn't just a once a month thing. No I would have it for months STRAIGHT, NON-STOP. Now for the ignorant men out there that don't have to deal with something like this they are likely to say "Oh, please, cry me a river it's not that bad." Well until you have to deal with losing copious amounts of blood to the point of it depleting the vitamins and minerals in your body beyond what OTC multivitamins and other pills can put back into your system, then shut it.

I had no choice but to go on birth control and stay on it, and no, I can't even be on the cheap generic pills, or any pills at all for that matter, either because they began causing blood-clots in my legs that got so bad I was unable to walk for a time. But if I don't take birth control I bleed so much, so often that my body just begins to fail. Even with health insurance I still had to find an OB\GYN that was nice enough to learn about my situation and sneak me enough of the expensive birth control "samples" that don't give me blood clots just so I can keep from ending up in the hospital on a regular basis like I used to. This has zero to do with sex and pregnancy for a lot of young girls and women, and a lot to do with maintaining a healthy body.

And believe me, if this ridiculously religiously run country didn't put a ban on nearly all women under the age of menopause(or suffering from a horrible disease of the female anatomy) from getting their tubes tied or a hysterectomy, I would have just had them cut it all out of me and be done with it. No bleeding to death from uncontrollable periods, no worries of children if I do choose to have sex, no more insanely expensive birth control that I can't even afford no matter how much I cut back on my every day needs. But no, I was told by every doctor I spoke to, and every website I went to that I'm just not smart enough to choose to remove a damaged part of my own body unless it is close to killing me and a "genius" government controlled doctor gives me the ok. Even my OB\GYN has told me that if she weren't under the restrictions of the hospital she works in, she'd do exactly what I've asked so I would no longer have to suffer, but they won't approve it unless I manage to get "un-treatable" cancer.

So yes, I believe it should be covered, because I suffered for years getting sicker, ending up in the hopital, all because I couldn't afford birth control all the time at the insane prices our government puts on it.

Your case would be hormonal so it should be covered(or better be). The problem is with the gross inequality in gender funding. Even when you adjust for the increase of funds used because of the cost's incurred by pregnancy, women are already grossly over receiving in federal, state, local and private charitable funds. For everything to tuition, business start up and medical assistance, males as a class are grossly unfunded and slowly being regulated to an almost non-human standard.

And since male birth control technology exists and isn't being implemented because of feminist's and traditionalist's(for the benefit of women), it seems like a kick in the teeth thing to cover it for women and will only further expand the divide that has grown between the genders in terms of long term economic disparities.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join