It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Possible Hostage Release in Iraq now False

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
In a breaking story, one news agency is reporting that seven hostages have been released in Iraq. According to Kenyan Foreign Minister Chirau Ali Mwakwere, "We have received information that all the hostages, including the three Kenyans, three Indians and an Egyptian, were released between 30 minutes and an hour ago." UPDATE: The Kenyan Foreign Minister misunderstood info when he stated the hostages were released. Check lower on the thread for the final story.

www.news24.com
Nairobi - Seven hostages, including three Kenyans, who have been held in Iraq for 11 days have been released, Kenyan Foreign Minister Chirau Ali Mwakwere said on Sunday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story will be updated as more details become available.

Linked below are a couple of articles saying the release was imminent.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
timesofindia.indiatimes.com
sify.com

[edit on 8/1/04 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 8/1/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So far only one place is reporting the release, most are still looking optimistic on their release soon. I am changing the title to "possible" release, until I get confirmation on the first report...

Mediator yet to confirm release
BAGHDAD: A self-styled Iraqi tribal mediator said on Sunday he could not confirm reports that seven foreign truckers, including three Indians, being held hostage by Islamic militants had been released.

"I know nothing about it. This is all news to me," Sheikh Hisham al-Dulaimi said.

The hostages, three Indians, three Kenyans and an Egyptian, working for a Kuwaiti haulage firm, were snatched 11 days ago by the previously unknown Islamic Secret Army - Holders of the Black Banners group.

"So far there have been no positive results. The Kuwaiti company is not responding to us. They have agreed to pull out of Iraq but they are still arguing about the compensation," he said, referring to the kidnappers' demands.

In Nairobi, Kenyan Foreign Minister Chirau Ali Mwakwere said the seven hostages had been released.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Another story citing Kenya's claim on the hostages release, the story is still conflicting at the moment so "possible" will remain, hopefully this is true and the hostages families worries can end.

Kenya says truck drivers freed in Iraq
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Seven truck drivers taken hostage in Iraq have been released, a Kenyan government spokesman said Sunday.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It has been a busy day for the news.

It appears now that the Kenyan foreign minister, misunderstood information when he claimed the hostages were free, negotiations will resume tomorrow .

Hostages: Negotiations will resume on Monday
Reports that the seven hostages, including three Indians, taken captive by a group in Iraq were released turned out to be false.

The employers of the hostages, Kuwait and Gulf Link transport company on Sunday night said the hostages have not been released.

KGL spokesperson Rana Abu Zaineh said the Kenyan foreign minister, who had announced in Nairobi that all the seven hostages have been set free, had 'misunderstood' the issue.

I will update the .line and story to reflect this latest news.

top topics

join