It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds launch investigation of NJ police department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/92a75835db8a.jpg[/atsimg]

NEWARK, N.J. – The Department of Justice on Monday announced an investigation into the policies and practices of the police department of New Jersey's largest city.
The move comes months after the state American Civil Liberties Union complained of rampant misconduct and lax internal oversight at the Newark Police Department, although federal and city officials insisted that the ACLU's petition wasn't the main reason for the probe.

U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman said the probe will look into allegations of excessive force, discriminatory policing and poor treatment of detainees in holding cells. They will also investigate whether officers retaliate against those who legally observe, or record, police activity.
Fishman said justice officials will work with police, community members and other stakeholders to determine "whether there are systemic violations of the constitution or federal law" by the Newark Police Department.

All I have to say about this is, it is about time!
I went to college in Newark, NJIT and the cops here are the worst I have ever personally seen. Being a white college student I could do just about anything I wanted but if I was young, black and a resident the hard core beatings were on!
There was a local high school sandwiched between NJIT and Rutgers which is across the street. Me and my friends have seen students literally dragged down stairs in handcuffs, then thrown onto police cars by several officers on many occasions. At one point they were walking down the street in full riot gear beating there shields as they marched like a band. This was done because a few high school students started a demonstration outside the school entrance and would not leave. Well it went completely south from there, one female student was knocked unconscious by a baton and left in the street. Mind you that Newark is a rough place but most of the crimes you hear about are not committed by HS students, the bad ones rarely go to class.
Still in all this probably means little to nothing will change immediately, if ever!
Yahoo News Link

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Feds investigate police? Lol.

Pot meet kettle.

new topics

join