It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts: proposed "arsenal" law"

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Well, it is coming here, unless the American Citizen stops it.

Thanks for a glimpse into our possible future.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Damn that sucks, where in canada are you, here in NB it is not like that at all.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

You're welcome!

Unfortunately, most Canadians are incapable of formulating a logical opinion when it comes to firearms. What can you expect though, most will never handle a firearm in their lifetime. Where I come from, guns are weapons that criminals use to harm good people, and nothing more. Such is the mentality, at least. Most even frown upon hunters, and see them as if they are too stupid to use a grocery store. "How many bunnies do you really need to kill" is what I believe my fellow Canuck posted earlier. That statement encapsulates the basic, Liberal&NDP mentality. "We don't need guns anymore for hunting, therefore they are only used for committing crimes and need to be severely controlled and perhaps one day abolished, because that will make Canada a safer place."

What they don't realize is that taking the guns away from the responsible law abiding citizens results in a greater supply of illegal guns for the criminals to acquire. It is the gun owner's responsibility to pay to have a gunsmith deactivate any guns they don't want to have to register. There is no way to sell your guns to the RCMP for a fair value so they can destroy them. This results in many guns that were handed-down to unlicensed people being sold in garage sales and whatnot, then eventually winding up in the hands of someone who is not responsible, and not law-abiding.

Discouraging good people from owning firearms results in criminals who are barred from having a firearms possession license having greater access to them. Licensing is important, but overzealous gun control leads to greater potential for gun crime. Unless it's finally time to round up all the guns and destroy every single one of them, we should be focusing on keeping them in the hands of those who are responsible and will protect them from misuse. Unfortunately this is a concept which is incomprehensible to most Canadians.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

I am jealous of one thing. You Canadians can still get good Polytech M1A's.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I'm in SW Ontario, is it really more relaxed out east? I thought these laws were federal. We do have the amnesty for the long gun registration for another year, but if you read the law it states that it only "may protect you if you can prove you're trying to come into compliance with the law". So if they think you have no intent to register I believe you're guilty of a criminal offense.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Well, been here almost 3 years now, never had no coppers pop in for any inspection.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Oh really? I may look into that, because I have only ever seen the Norincos and they aren't terribly impressive.

I got to hold the Springfield once, if I could only afford it... but where I am .308 can only be fired on a range and the longest range at my club is 100m, so it would be a waste. I'd like to try some 400, 600, 800 meter shots but .22lr will have to do for now.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Yep. On another forum I belong to, M14/M1A based, we have several Canadian members that get to flaunt their Polys. We do drool a little.
My SAI is sweet and I am glad I saved up for it.

The Norincos are not up to par, but most of the Polys have a soft metal bolt that needs to be replaced.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by TKDRL

I'm in SW Ontario, is it really more relaxed out east? I thought these laws were federal. We do have the amnesty for the long gun registration for another year, but if you read the law it states that it only "may protect you if you can prove you're trying to come into compliance with the law". So if they think you have no intent to register I believe you're guilty of a criminal offense.

I think you are very correct, the gun laws are federal and enforced by the Mounties.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
To all our Canadian friends on here I urge you to read my lasted post
on Canadian gun laws
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=11329339#pid11329339

Poor old man.... I hope he sues there arses off when it's all over

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Well whatever you're doing, keep doing it and hopefully you will slip below the radar. As far as I understand, if you've got 10 or more firearms under your name in the registry, a CFO will make an appointment with you at some point to inspect your storage of the guns.

Now as far as enforcing the laws goes, that comes down to the local police, so they may be too busy or not intent on enforcing those laws very strictly where you are, but just in case, keep everything locked up, even the ammo, and make sure that anybody in your house who doesn't have a PAL, doesn't know where the keys are.

If the cops come to inspect or for something unrelated and a family member without a PAL is there and agrees/is able to gain access to the guns for inspection, they will be confiscated. Only people with the PAL can know where your keys are, just in case. The police will use tactics like that to try and fool you into revealing any evidence of non compliance.

Also if you're transporting or storing a handgun, don't store the ATT in the same case as the gun! If a cop pulls you over and asks to see your ATT, and you have to open the case to show it to him/her, that's unsafe storage and it will be confiscated and you will be charged, though you really did nothing wrong.

I am suspicious that our police are being trained to use these tactics and the unjust laws we have to force/trick law abiding gun owners into non compliance. It seems that way, anyway, and it would be a useful tool for disarming a population. The laws are so convoluted, they are almost impossible to follow.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Oh, another issue we have here is police officers who do not understand the laws and wind up laying charges when no offense was committed. It's always a criminal offense you are charged with which means and automatic weapons ban at least until your hearing. They will attempt to make you agree to a plea bargain, like a 5 or 10 year weapons ban, but that really means a lifetime ban because when you check the box for having a previous weapons ban in the PAL application, you automatically become ineligible.

So, don't get caught not locking up your guns, or possessing an unregistered gun, or else you may never get to own one legally again. To avoid being charged with an offense you didn't commit, you should keep a copy of the safe storage pamphlet that the RCMP prints off for you when you get your PAL right inside your safe/closet where you store the guns. That might prevent a confused officer from ruining your reputation and denying you of your freedoms over their incompetence.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Good advice is always appreciated. You should have seen the spectacle coming over the border. We had gotten there at around 1AM I believe, and didn't get through till around 7AM. You should have seen the jaw drop when asked if there were any firearms, I answered "Yep, got a whole truck full actually"

Soooooo much paperwork!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here in Texas, about 1/4 of the population has more that 10 guns. Imagine how messed up the police would get trying to enforce that law.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

You're just jealous because we can have firearms. It doesn't matter how many we have, because it's our RIGHT to have as many as we want.

Kapish?

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join