It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exposed - The dirty little secret of the meat industry

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

knowing is half the battle.

what we do with the information is up to us.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DrakeDarc

i don't know about telling if there is glue, but i was told that if the meat is abnormally bright red, it has a bunch of crap in it....nitrates etc
edit on 9-5-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

]It's a good thing the McNuggets in Australian McDonald's are made with natural breast chicken...

natural! i seriously doubt that..

check out this video from peta and the conditions chickens from KFC is kept in and what they go through before ending up on our plates

edit on 9/5/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DrakeDarc

Easy, first thing to look for is color. Steak should be a bright-reddish color that does not easily seperate from ribbons of fat or caps on the edges. If it is a real dark red/brown and can be pulled apart easily, it was glued. Also, if the fat is bright white, yet the meat is dark...it was glued.

The coagulants used to make the glue sometimes will rise around the meat to the wrapping or packaging. If you see a geletin-like substance on meat, it was glued.

Aged meats can be dark as well, but the fat will slighly darken with it. Not much but enough to tell the difference.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Oh that's disgusting.

I think I am going vegetarian.

Sorry my friend, they have their bases covered on that front as well.
If meat glue and hormones doesn't do you in, GMO and persticides will!
edit on 9-5-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Awesome, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I'm going to have to study meats now so I can tell the difference, lol.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
www.naturalnews.com...

Apparently, meat manufactures take scraps of meat too small to sell, and paste them together using "Meat Glue"

"Meat glue is an enzyme known as transglutaminase. According to the report, many meat glues are created by cultivating bacteria. As shocking as it may sound, other meat glues are made from the blood plasma of pigs and cows, specifically the coagulant that makes blood clot. This "special enzyme" is so toxic that people working with the product must use masks as to not breathe it in. If meat suppliers are allowed to put it in our meat for us to eat, why can't they breathe it in?"

i thought i would be able to tell a real steak from a "manufactured meat glued steak" but apparently experts are hard pressed to tell the difference.

Also, "the bacterial contamination of meat glued steak is hundreds of times higher than authentic pieces of steak"

The European Union tried to ban the substance in may 2010

Again, greed outweighs common sense

MAN
i lost my bloody Appetite

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

From a less psychotic source:

www.cookingissues.com...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Oh that's disgusting.

I think I am going vegetarian.

Many vegetarians use meat substitutes in their diets for some dishes. Like Gardenburger and many Morningstar Farms products.
I know I did when I was a veg.
But it seems even they arent safe anymore..

Frozen Food

Non-GMO:
A.C. LaRocco
Amy’s Kitchen
Cascadian Farms Organic frozen meals and vegetables
Cedarlane
Helen’s Kitchen
Ian’s Natural Foods
Linda McCartney frozen meals
Mom Made Meals
Morningstar Farms (Organic line ONLY)
Rising Moon
The Simple Soyman
Trader Joe's store brands
Woodstock Farms

May Contain GMO Ingredients:
Banquet (ConAgra)
Bertolli (Unilever)
Boca, unless labeled organic (Kraft)
Celeste (Pinnacle Foods)
Eggo Waffles (Kellogg)
Gardenburger
Green Giant frozen meals (General Mills)
Healthy Choice (ConAgra)
Kid’s Cuisine (ConAgra)
Lean Cuisine (Nestle)
Marie Callender’s (ConAgra)
Morningstar Farms,
Morningstar Farms Natural Touch, unless labeled organic (Kellogg)
Rosetto Frozen Pasta (Nestle)
Stouffer’s (Nestle)
Swanson (Campbell’s)
Tombstone (Kraft)
Totino’s (Smucker’s)
Voila! (Birds Eye/Unilever)

Source

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
'Food abuse' has been going on for years.

Twenty years ago I worked on a chicken farm in the egg packing plant. My Job as a Mélanger was to go around the building and scoop up the broken eggs that fell off the conveyer or had been dropped on the floor or rejected for some reason. When scooping the eggs up, I would often scoop up bird poo, feathers and other detritus.

I would scoop up the eggy mess into buckets on a trolley. I would then take all the eggy mess buckets to a room with a large mixing machine. The machine processed the eggy mess into shell, which was shipped out for industrial uses like making roads and the runny stuff left over, which was processed into plastic sealed 'bricks' of nasty eggy-ness.

In the UK, this eggy hotchpotch couldn't be used in food manufacturing, it was just not safe to eat. However, the eggy bricks were not destroyed. They were shipped abroad for other countries to use in processed foods, which were then shipped back into the UK and sold in supermarkets.

Since then, whatever I buy, if it is imported and has egg in it, back on the shelf it goes.

I am now a veggie but as mentioned in an earlier post, I won't gloat over my carnivore friends, there's dodgy practices all over the food industry.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I am happy they said no to that stuff here in Norway.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

good list...thanks for that

ever vigilant!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Is there a thread about unsafe foods on ATS (besides this one)?
Good stuff...will do more research.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Luckyxfactor because: .

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Great, now I have to go vegan. Which means I may as well grow my food because I'm sure Organic ain't so organic. I'm sick and tired of the way the USA is being operated

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Great, now I have to go vegan. Which means I may as well grow my food because I'm sure Organic ain't so organic. I'm sick and tired of the way the USA is being operated

Trader Joe's is a great source for organic foods, and their prices are reasonable.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I just had an awesome steak today. I think this applys to ground meat. I always told people ground meat is just assholes and lips.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Another reason why I have pretty much stopped eating meats and have switched to Boca style products. They taste better than the current quality of store bought meat too.

edit on 9-5-2011 by warza because: spelling

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Man, just stop eating corpses. Very unhealthy things to digest. I eat seeds, seed pods, and leaves (and that's pretty much all other foods besides corpses and milk "products"). Meat glue? Just have a hot dog and savor the lips, anus, and all the other "waste" parts of our friend, the cow. Anyway, I haven't heard of this meat glue, thanks for the post.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Incredible, anything for dirty profits, but to tell the truth I just read an article of what pharma is doing to our children for profits that will make you vomit, and our whores in congress is just fine and dandy when it comes to big interest profits.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
To the person who was explaining meat colors you're wrong. Meat isn't supposed to be red. They inject the meat with something that awakens the iron in the blood and make the meat red. Red meat appears to be fresher and is a tool to market the meat. If you look at pork chops they arebbrown. That's how meat is supposed to be. I don't know what the name of the thing they use to inject the meat but I know I explained it okay.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join