It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese police rescue 18 kidnapped toddlers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
August 1
"Police in south China's Guangdong province have rescued 18 kidnapped toddlers, saving them from being sold to childless couples, according to state media.
Girls are sometimes bought by poor families to be raised as brides for their sons who would not otherwise be able to afford to marry, rights groups say."
www.abc.net.au...

I am taking this report with a grain of salt seeing as the source is state media.
I would estimate this 'trade' is huge and this is just a report to try and improve
China' standing on this issue.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!Still in this time and age people is still consider for some nothing more and nothing else than cattle and free to be sold in the meat market.

But in US alone 58,200 children go missing anually from abdutions by strangers, 203,900 by family members and 1,190,900 are considered run away because it falls in the 15 to 17 year old cathegory.

Now I see it as a problem not only in China but here in US and all over the world.

[edit on 1-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
That is horrible, i feel so sorry for those people who have had to go through the loss of a child and the children themselves.

I thought China had a rule for a maximum of 2 children per household or am i mistaken, i just heard it somewhere ages ago?

Tempest

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tempest
That is horrible, i feel so sorry for those people who have had to go through the loss of a child and the children themselves.

I thought China had a rule for a maximum of 2 children per household or am i mistaken, i just heard it somewhere ages ago?

Tempest

Pretty sure the limit is one now...

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This link is 18 months old, but relevent

China redefines its one-child regulation

Explaining the revisions, an official with the Hubei Family Planning Commission, said: "Couples in which both the husband and the wife are only children will be allowed to have a second child, provided that their first child is a girl. It doesn't matter whether they live in the towns or rural villages." However, rural couples in which one partner is disabled will not be allowed another child, as it would be considered an added burden on the family, the provincial government said.

The official refused to comment on how many more couples would be eligible to have a second child under the new policy, but said he expected Hubei's birth rate to stay the same.
www.peopleandplanet.net...

"but said he expected Hubei's birth rate to stay the same". Huh?

Sanc'.

top topics

join