It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Wasteful the Older Generation Was

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

I had to lol! I call the fridge an icebox. Always have, im 29,
I get so mad when I ask someone to put something in the icebox, just to find it later in the freezer. I live in a different area then where I was raised, thats probably why

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Sorry I just couldn't resist this!

A little silver-haired lady calls her neighbor and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get started."

Her neighbor asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

The little silver haired lady says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a rooster."

Her neighbor decides to go over and help with the puzzle.

She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table.

He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns to her and says,

"First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a rooster."

He takes her hand and says, "Secondly, I want you to relax.. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then," he said with a deep sigh ............

"Let's put all the Corn Flakes back in the box."

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Star and flag this as much as you want but its still bullcrap. If any bit of this were true we wouldnt be in the mess we are today end of story. Yeah they went green with high emission vehicles, mercury in everything, lead paint, asbestos and all that good stuff.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Then maybe join the rest of us and say fridge

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Now this is certainly On Topic and so very true.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers
Who smoked and/or drank while they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,
Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,
We would ride in cars with no car seats,
No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day
Was always a special treat.

We drank water
From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,
From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.
We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And, we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able
To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
And then ride them down the hill, only to find out
We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.
There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
No cell phones,
No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,
And the worms did not live in us
Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen,
We did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal
With disappointment.
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years
Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others
who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the
lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives
for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know
how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house
with scissors, doesn't it ?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The irony in this thread is that the older, less wasteful generation turned out to be a greedy plague of locusts in the end. Im not speaking of the WWII era folks or those who survived the great depression, as they have all but passed on now. Im talking about the baby boomers and the ones slightly older than them.

They were spawned and raised by the greatest generation, taught to live within their means, waste not want not, and to do the right thing. Yet they somehow evolved into a bunch of greedy capitalist blood suckers who have bamboozled every generation since them and beaten down a path of unrivaled greed, moral degredation and excess.

You don't blame the kids these days for the way things are, you blame the 50-70 year olds who had it better than any generation of human beings in the history of civilization, yet still managed to destroy this nation and burn the very foundation that their fathers and mothers built.

The twenty and thirty something's didn't cause this mess, you did.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
A house divided against itself cannot stand. Abraham Lincoln

ageism
sexism
racism
classism
partisanship

Either we hang togother or we will surely HANG separately.

peace

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Well when we know better we do better and the key to fixing this mess is Education Education Education. I just can't say it enough. I am hopeful that future generations will do better but if they do it will only be because they learned off our mistakes. All in good time. There is hope for us yet.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Education is certainly the key here - as long as it's education in the true sense and not indoctrination!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I don't understand why the older generation hates us,
they must have forgot about the generation that raised us.

If all of those things worked so well for the older generation then why did they stop doing them?

We are all to blame for our current situation. Sure we can blame our parents, they can blame their parents, and so on, or the older generation can blame the younger generation and when they grow up they can blame their kids, and so on. We really need to stop passing the blame and take responsibility for our collective future, to ensure we have one.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

Love it excellent post, brings back memories and I often chase my kids out of the house, restricting their time in front of the box, I have three kids my youngest is like our childhood always outside, playing being adventurous, the middle child is, well in the middle loves to be outside and reads a lot but also enjoys the box ie tv, laptop, game system, my oldest however is the worse of the bunch in the aspect of very little activity a little over weight I think but doc says he is fine, no very outgoing doesn’t read much and is happiest when on the laptop or playing the game system.

I guess my point is the oldest being of the lazy and norm for the one generation, my middle seeking knowledge and being active, and the youngest most like the generation you have described being adventurous.

I hope that the generations to follow will be more like the youngest and then once again we may have a healthy population, a population of inventors, and a population that will not allow the elitist to buy up and hide away the useful technologies such as the Tesla coils, and cars that get 100 mpg just because they do not make a profit, but because they help humanity and the planet.

I also like Carlin’s take on the topic, we should not be calling anything save the planet the planet will always be here no matter what we do, but the planet may become uninhabitable for humans.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Education and not indoctrination,

Who is educating our kids?
Who is indoctrinating?

The answers are both the same, so first we have to find out how this all came about and what is the solution. I have those answers, first you will say to yourself this cant be right, then as you continue your education I can assure you, you will become angered, but then with new eyes and finally faced with the truth you will long for the solution and I promise you I have that solution to finally put and end to the madness and once again you will truly, legally know freedom for the first time in your life.

Begin your education in truth, in law, and discover what big brother has been keeping from you all along. This did not happen over night and it will not be fixed over night, there is no magic pill to take or just one single form to fill out. It is a process, but in the end you will no longer ever need to ask for permission ie permits again, you will be responsible for your own actions and decisions and finally you will be free.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Don't forget about gardening. The yard wasn't some ornamental show piece. There was real food growing out there.

The problem is that they weren't green. They were thrifty and limited by the availability of the technology at that time. The technology of a glass bottle was superior. But one would never think of tossing it out. They were too expensive.

I don't understand why only a handful of states have the policy of redeeming plastic, glass and cans for a nickel or ten cents. We should make that more common.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Hi Sphota,

Yes I read a report not long ago, how it does also generate revenue for the states, and the higher the return, the higher the percentage of recycling, many more states are joining this program and soon it is my hope that all the states and territories will have a similar program going.

Gardening is great, however it also has flaws, the best efficient and safest way to garden is using an Aquaponics system, this system is closed and chemical fertilizer free, so nothing gets into the ground and aquifers that everyone relies on. It still gives you the satisfaction of planting and harvesting, with the added benefit of clean healthier food.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
How many young people drive SUVs and other large trucks when they don't have too?

Seriously?

How many baby boomers driving around in hopped up subcompacts with an extra 200lbs of drag creating body kit and another 400lbs of stereo?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I hear you peck420,
My biggest problem with the whole stereo thing blasting away is its one thing to harm your own health, and it seriously puts a hurting on the nervous system as well as your hearing, but the fact that these whack job parents do this with their kids in the cars.

Those systems where designed for shows, not everyday use, I wish more and more tickets where given out for this noise pollution, it hurts my ears when in traffic or stopped at a light I can only imagine what permanent harm they are doing to their kids, besides the ever lasting tinnitus.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join