It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Wasteful the Older Generation Was

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Wow! This is such a great idea! I think I'll do the same eventually.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

You do realize that most 'progress' was made in an attempt to make life easier for their children?

Like I said earlier, each generation did the best they could with the knowledge they HAD. Not the knowledge we have, the knowledge they had.

It is so easy to criticise with hindsight...

For the record, I used to think the same about older generations, until I started to see things that I had done (with the best intentions) get revealed to be flawed. Easy to see with hindsight, not so easy to see during the time.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I'm specifically emphasizing your point by bringing attention to the narrow focus perspective presented by the author. We are in agreement... and I direct you to the first post I made in the thread as well.

Namaste.
edit on 9-5-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

This is an inspiring post. Thank you!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

Forgive my misinterpretation....I will inject more caffiene immediately.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I do not want anyone to feel guilty, and yes we have come along way with technology to make our lives easier, with so many people out of work, and the brake down of the family unit, we have allowed big brother to take care of us, to put our responsibility on to someone else. This was all part of a bigger plan, and that is discussed on many threads on ATS, but here I want people to realize that there is another way, a better way in many cases to enjoy life.

Remember the big companies are only interest in their own profits and not your benefit, the Federal government is no better, if either of them were really concerned about helping you or the planet, we would have things like the Tesla coil for power, cars that get 100 miles to a gallon and so many more inventions that have been sucked up and buried away from the public simple because it wasn’t profitable to do it. What’s better for a company to make a product you only need to buy once, or something that needs constant up keep, or has to be replaced on a regular basis?

Only you can change, only you can make that first step to become responsible for your actions, until us as people stand up and say no to entitlements and yes to living within our means, can we truly change.
Not saying people do not need help from time to time, but that should not be the norm, but the exception. People have become brainwashed over the years, we have been told and taught a lot of BS and until we begin to reeducate ourselves we are in trouble.

Example of how far we have fallen: museum.swau.edu...
This link at times is down for upgrades.

Also look into my thread on PAC education.

I also want to thank all of you for your posting and looking forward to read your comments and idea’s on saving money and living within ones means.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A very similar thread about the "green thing" came up about a month or so ago..

ATS Thread from Mar 2011 - We didn't have "the green thing" back then,

Very similar story about the old lady in the store, the plastic bags and not having the "green thing" back then and many of the same examples with a few differences.

There is some truth in the examples.

Now for something that may shock the young and old here on ATS..

The older generation(s) did (and do) some things very well that make a lot of sense and would be good to continue today. Some things they did not do well at all and we are likely better off without them.

The current younger generation(s) do some things very well that make a lot of sense and would be good to continue today. Some things they do not do well at all and we are likely better off without them.

The real folly is being convinced your generation (young or old) has all the answers and disregarding all of the other generations ideas.

edit on 9-5-2011 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Quality Thread and so True..........

Maybe a return to older values needs to happen again......possibly sooner rather than later...

PDUK

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I have found this video from Pastor Rod Parsley very inspiring and educational it’s titled: Conquering the spirit of Debt. He begins with the National Debt worth the 50 minutes to watch in its entirety.

www.pacinlaw.org...

please post comments on this video and how it will or has helped you, thank you.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
As my grandfather says,
"If you cant make it or fix it, you dont need it.."

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Gotta admit, your title threw me a bit and I was prepared to dish out the smack. Glad I won't have to. Great article!! Amazingly, people think they are somehow saving the planet by buying special shopping bags. Sadly, that's about as far as they go. We used to use the brown paper shopping bags as biodegradable kitchen trash bags. Now its all plastic all of the time.

I also remember the days of collecting the deposit for returning glass bottles when the whole front of the store was dedicated to bottle return. It made so much sense that they ditched the concept altogether. As usual.

Plenty to learn from the generations who got this nation through the Great Depression, WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

Cheers and thanks for posting

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Love this post!
Some things are coming full circle, for instance cloth diapers, which I use on my baby. And I bought them from work at home moms, and want to make some myself.
If I think I can make.something from scratch(food) I at the very least try.
I have started gardening, and store bought tomatoes taste.. Well tasteless now, lol
My gma cans food and makes preserves, this I want to learn

I walk when ever possible, which I could do more often with 4 little kids if there werent huge hunks of mestal flying down the roads!
Theres a few more, but im rambling. basicly, im trying to live a little more simple

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I can see many people are open to education, yes with gmo foods and the current economy there is no better time to start learning how to better be prepared, anything you may want to know about prepping can be found in the archives of www.blogtalkradio.com... doc has been doing this for more years then I have been alive, he has a great staff of host covering every topic you can think of pertaining to self sufficiency.

You can also find many how to videos on youtube to see the different setups people are doing when it comes to Aquaponics and many other topics.

Thank you all again for your continued post

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yeah, I got this from my grandma. And I'm very well aware that there are many things that were more "green" back then than now. But, in all reality, I really do get sick of this crap.

Young folks, life was a lot harder before the Internet. Older folks, these kids have to constantly worry about gang violence and rampant drug use these days.

Life sucks, in some form or fashion, for everybody; welcome to the world.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
thats because in the older days they were much cleaner and using the natural enviroment to do stuff.

Now its trippled the population, less respect and less responsibility= more trash

like wells for water and the sun to dry clothes and you know pretty much everything by hand and not as hard as you think unless your lazy. its messed up how the rivers are populted and full of trash.

Hey! and dont blame the government. People did this
edit on 9-5-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. It was very insightful.

S+F

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thanks, this post brought on a lot of memories for me. I was born in 1953, and I can remember milk and soda coming in returnable bottles, and I remember my mom making my clothes on a treadle Singer for school, we kids didn't get shoes in the Summer, we went every where barefooted. Shoe were for school. We grew our own veggies in a big garden, my parents would buy 100 chicks every Spring, we would raise them, enjoy the eggs, then butcher and can the meat for Winter. I remember when the drain for the Kitchen sink ran out into the garden, and pumping 20 gallons of water every morning before school, and after supper. I remember the whole family bating in one tub of water, and I remember waking up with a small snowdrift across my bedclothes. I remember walking to school, two rooms down, two up, first and second on the first floor, third and fourth upstairs. Kids would bring lumps of coal for the one school stove. I remember when you could fill up an Oldsmobile for $8, and when we threw trash on a pile on the back yard. Grocery bags were paper, they would rot away in a few days, everything else came in bottles, either returnable or not, these would break and go back to their original state. Cans would rust away. You could smoke everywhere, I remember shopping in the A&P and smoking a cigarette while I was shopping, you could spank your kid and banish them to the car in the parking lot of they were bad in the store, and I actually remember one woman who had one of those dog leashes on her son, and would tie him to the parking meter as she shopped. Try that today. And finally, my kids were not too good to go through the windshield with Mom and Dad, and the speed limit was 65 everywhere. And cars got much better mileage on those days, I had a 6 cylinder Plymouth Valiant that got 62 miles per gallon. Better days.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Thank you for this contribution to battling the myths being spread to support the next issue they want to fracture and divide us on...age.

Oh...whine whine...you old people are bad because you're the ones who caused all the problems because you were so wasteful and didn't care about the planet and it's going to take money to support you all blah blah. The ever increasing volume of this propaganda has been alarming. We old people paid a lot of money into this country and built this country and it was robbed from us as well as it was from you, so back the hell off and don't let them divide, segregate, and separate us even further.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The best, most honest and accurate post I've ever spotted on ATS.

Congratulations. Absolutely brilliant.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
That is a awesome post OP. It is so true, it seems like the older generation was green without even knowing it. the only way we are greener is we dont pollute as much as they did with all their coal burning factories. but good post S&F for you my friend

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join