It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regular flooding in coastal communities after earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

I found this article rather interesting. Not only did the quake shift the island, it also moved it down into the sea, lowering the island's elevation. At high tide, communities are flooded on a regular basis. Hopefully repairs to the sea walls will be enough to prevent the flooding from becoming continuous.

This particular section is rather amazing:

Some areas in Ishinomaki moved southeast 17 feet (5.3 meters) and sank 4 feet (1.2 meters) lower.

"We thought this slippage would happen gradually, bit by bit. We didn't expect it to happen all at once," says Testuro Imakiire, a researcher at Japan's Geospatial Information Authority, the government body in charge of mapping and surveys. I

makiire says the quake was powerful enough to move the entire country, the first time this has been recorded since measurements began in the late 19th century. In Tokyo, 210 miles (340 kilometers) from Ishinomaki, parts of the city moved 9 inches (24 centimeters) seaward.

The drop lower was most pronounced around Ishinomaki, the area closest to the epicenter. The effects are apparent: Manholes, supported by underground piping, jut out of streets that fell around them. Telephone poles sank even farther, leaving wires at head height.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Wow! That's all I can say.

And they're still having quakes.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ffman

+

here come the CAYCE quoters

"and Japan will sink into the sea"...

good work Ffman, it is always nice to see nature at work,
+ can be weird and scary sometimes...

especially when so active, like RIGHT NOW !!!

seeya

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this, I was thinking that there isn't much coverage on how they're doing now. I hope they don't sink any lower.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It's remarkable that we hear nothing about Japan on the news anymore. All attention is now focused on Bin Laden's death and the storms in the south/midwest. Had I not been randomly browsing FoxNews.com I would not have known about the flooding.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ffman

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yes, the media silence on this is deafening.

"I just try to get all my shopping and chores done by 3 p.m.," says Takuya Kondo, 32, who lives with his family in his childhood home.

Most houses sit above the water's reach, but travel by car becomes impossible and the sewage system swamps, rendering toilets unusable.

Scientists say the new conditions are permanent. apnews.myway.com...

This is a very dangerous ongoing situation.
Sewage is constantly steaming into the sea, the residents have little sanitation options, and this
is not sustainable way of life.
Further, its permanent. Meaning this will not reverse.
Yet, the media is not covering this, and its very strange that this news is just coming to light,
how long I wonder after the big quake has this been taking place?

new topics

top topics

join