It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tin Foil... it's not just for hats ya know...(Multi purpose things thread)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I thought it was time for something fun... something everyone can contribute too...
So this thread is about all those often overlook and forgotten multi use Items... So feel free to add your own best duel-use multi purpose thing!

As I stated in my title Tin foil is often over looked...
not only does it make a stylish hat, when your out in the field it makes a handy cooking surface...
folded just right it can be used as a fry pan, serving tray or something you can simply wrap your leftovers in...
fold it to make a nifty water cup...
Tin foil has two sides to it... a dull side and a shiny side... that shiny side makes a great signal mirror ya know...
you can use it to sharpen your scissors...
Use it to line the inside of a box and voila you have a solar oven!
Use it as a reflector to aim the heat from a fire...
Wad it up in a ball and it's a fair replacement for steel wool...

This could go on all day so I will stop here and give others their turns...
So lets see your best tip trick or doohickey
expound on the virtues of Duct Tape, old pill bottles or just a handful of goop???

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well, you sure have changed my opinion on tin foil

Put it in the microwave and it transforms into something beautiful...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Back in my young and wild days, it could be used a replacement pipe screen....

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Back in my wild and woolly days
we used it to make the entire pipe...
Looks all shifty eyed... "Peace pipes... yeah that was it... Peace pipes... I'm going with that story

Don't smoke kids... we didn't know any better back then... but now we do...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
line the inside of a shoe box with tin foil, put the box in a bag, and voila, a portable shoplifting gizmo that prevent the detectors at the door from detecting the tagged item you have shoplifted.

I haven't tried this, i just saw some tramps on a bus one time making one.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Haha at least passing a peace pipe around is better than a bunch of youths passing a bottle of vodka around

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Good stuff.
You can use tinfoil in big fat strips to cover the front and back of your teeth to mimic your favorite rap star!
You can use it as a ghetto form af a Faraday cage.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You can wrap a little bit of it around a fish hook to make a lure. Wrap it around a stick and then pull the stick out to make a blow straw for stoking a small coal into a fire or increasing heat when needed.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You can use it to win $10,000

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I always keep the HD foil handy in various kits. It makes a great tinder bowl when starting a fire on wet ground, Use it for wind screens around your fire or camp stove and heat reflectors. If you have enough of it you can lay on top of it on a cold night. I actually use a 7 foot section of Reflectix as a light weight sleeping pad when backpacking.

Keep the ideas coming. I had to laugh when someone mentioned the filter for a "steamroller". Takes me back

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I like to chew on it like a piece of bubble gum.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Steam your veggies in a foil pouch, just lay them in the fire.

Use pieces to blaze a trail.

put it over an empty paper towel tube, conform it to the shape, and you have a kazoo

use it to stopper a sink or bathtub when you cannot find the stopper. A sheet laid over the hole is held in place by the weight of the water above it.

block windows you don't want the sun to penetrate---also, foil in windows is a tale-tale sign that a vampire has improvised its lair within a given room.

make a drinking cup

poke pinholes in it, and use as a sieve. Plastic will just rip, but foil will actually take myriad tiny pinholes.

Use a sheet with a pinhole in it to observe the shadow of a solar eclipse.

hold a strip tightly between your thumb and index finger of each hand, blow hard on the edge and it makes a loud whistle. All the "prairie dogs" in your cube farm will stick their heads up over the walls of their cubicles to see who made that noise instead of working on the TPS reports.

improvise a cap for a pen.

run it through the shredder at work and make your own countermeasure chaff. Sprinkle it in some waste baskets, so it will set off the alarms when the janitors pass through security.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
WiFi radio antenna booster. Here, done this a couple times when out in the woods, works good, just did not want to type all the directions out. www.ehow.com...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I like to chew on it like a piece of bubble gum.

Yowza! Thats gotta hurt!

Whatever floats your boat though

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Let us not forget that tin foil will entertain your cat for hours and hours.

Tin foil can also be used to avoid detection by FLIR cameras.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
back when i was younger my pops use to wrap a potatoes and throw into a fire and let it cook.

yep tin foil the swiss knife of survivalism.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Balled up it makes a dandy pot scrubber. Just remember to reseason castiron cause it cleans everything off!

However cellophane wrap makes a better sink stopper, imo.
And cellophane makes a good shank, oops knife. Also great entertainment, zilches from a stick in a fire, with a dripping zilch noise. Sorry, kids don't try this at home....ut oh.

Sorry, this is about Aluminum foil. Just got a little excited, my apologies.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Couldn't you also wrap yourself in the tin foil to reflect heat? Anyways tin foil is supposed to stop brainwaves getting out and mind readers, and that's where it should stay!

join