It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's worse...stupid or lazy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ok...i work construction so I get to see the worst that the american workforce accepts! Not that all construction workers are dumb/lazy/bad people. But dumb/lazy/bad seeds often have no choice but construction. Oddly enough...the two often go hand in hand. But what if you had to chose?

So my question is:
Would you rather work with someone who will bust ass but is stupid or work with someone who is smart but lazy?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

someone who will bust ass but is stupid

Probably the best type of worker depending on the job, especially considering the time he would put in actually doing the job right, I'd imagine he'd get pretty good at it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Definitely bust ass stupid. Smart lazy people only expend energy thinking of ways to not do anything and get paid for it. A stupid person will work and under direct supervision will accomplish much.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I would choose the hard working one over the lazy one.

The stupid one didn't choose to be stupid, but the lazy one chooses to be lazy.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I worked with someone that was mentally retarded and he was a hard worker
... The smartest person I knew was lazy as f***, messy and full of himself as well
... I would work with stupid any day

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I can train a stupid person to do many tasks, but a lazy person will never do anything they dont want to do.
I will take the hard working stupid person any day

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Judgmental much?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

dumb does not equal lazy. Lazy does not equal bad person. Bad person does not equal dumb. Dumb does not equal bad person. I would rather work with a smart lazy person, cause they ae smart and often get the dumb to do their work. Sort of like delegating. Would you rather vote for a dumb person? A lazy person? Or a bad person? Regardless, work is stupid. We arent going anywhere yet we work as if theres an end.. There isnt. Relax.. Be lazy.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
LMAO at this thread.I used to be a roofer and I can honestly say in those types of jobs stupid wins hands down.No offence but a smart person wouldn't be there to begin with.(you know what I mean)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

dumb does not equal lazy. Lazy does not equal bad person. Bad person does not equal dumb. Dumb does not equal bad person. I would rather work with a smart lazy person, cause they ae smart and often get the dumb to do their work. Sort of like delegating. Would you rather vote for a dumb person? A lazy person? Or a bad person? Regardless, work is stupid. We arent going anywhere yet we work as if theres an end.. There isnt. Relax.. Be lazy.

So you'd rather work with someone who will spend his/her time shoving his work off on someone else? You do realize, that the person who would wind up doing his work will probably be you, right?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

Judgmental much?

I don't think it's judgemental when it's a fact these people exist. It's a legitimate question.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
Ok...i work construction so I get to see the worst that the american workforce accepts! Not that all construction workers are dumb/lazy/bad people. But dumb/lazy/bad seeds often have no choice but construction. Oddly enough...the two often go hand in hand. But what if you had to chose?

So my question is:
Would you rather work with someone who will bust ass but is stupid or work with someone who is smart but lazy?

i wouldnt agree with your statement there about construction workers.. i dont know how it is in america but here in europe, most of the people in the construction industry are skilled workers, with a number of those being very intelligent and gifted people..
sometimes it takes years education and training to acquire the skills used in their field, which would show they are neither or lazy or stupid.. and that is from top level architects and engineers to bricklayers and electricians..

what you are talking about are the non skilled labourer workers who do the crappy jobs on building sites..
and there is an obvious reason why they are doing these jobs.. and in alot of cases its not there fault if they were born with a lower intelligence level than some others, lazy people are just lazy, your not gonna change that..

so if in fact you are neither stupid no lazy, i suggest you change your job and maybe get some sort of training if you dont want to work with these these kind of people..

edit on 9/5/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
i think if you choose to be lazy when youre smart, you cant really be that smart
in the end you`ll eventually haveto work just as hard

and if theyre dumb but hard working wouldnt that make it worse?
as theyd be doing more work but stuffing it up twice as fast?

id rather work alone. at my own pace for my own benefits.
not for someone else.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I would rather work with someone smart. I hate talking to stupid people. What should I care how lazy they are? I'm getting paid for my work, not their work. Smart people are usually lazy because they care not for working like a slave. They would rather be allowed time to develop their creative skills and knowledge base. Smart people are never very good with mindless physical work. It's also a waste of their talent.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BioStatistic

wrong. Im the boss.. What you dont realize is that the dumb are often lazy people who act dumb to get out of doing the complex hard stuff. The hard working dumb guy often does the easy job. Delegating = management material. Somtimes the dumb hard is better, but rarely. Its easier to get to the top proving you can delegate, than proving you can work hard, cause they'll wanna keep you in your position cause your so good at it and work hard.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'd rather work with a dumb person, for several reasons.

1. The dumb person will more than likely have a better attitude overall. They're more fun to be around, would probably excel at whatever job they were given, and will be happy for and proud of what they do. They are typically low upkeep employees if placed in a task that fits their aptitudes. On the down side, sometimes it's frustrating teaching them how to do certain things which need to be done. That's where the responsibility falls on the managers to adjust and compensate.

2. The lazy person is useless. They serve no purpose except to take up valuable time, money and space and about the only thing they can accomplish with any efficiency is converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, and I'm sure that takes a lot on their parts. Lazy people typically are obnoxious in my experience, resorting to beligerence and confrontation to get out of their duties, or will sit around and wait until someone who needs it done to just take care of it themselves.

I would rather work with someone who is "less intelligent" perse, over someone who is lazy. Lazy people should be boxed up, mulched and returned to the environment. They are dead weight and serve no purpose but to provide drains on already strained resources.

I'm in management...I deal with this crap every day. I'm speaking from experience.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

wrong. Im the boss.. What you dont realize is that the dumb are often lazy people who act dumb to get out of doing the complex hard stuff. The hard working dumb guy often does the easy job. Delegating = management material. Somtimes the dumb hard is better, but rarely. Its easier to get to the top proving you can delegate, than proving you can work hard, cause they'll wanna keep you in your position cause your so good at it and work hard.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

Now you're blurring the line between the two. I took this form the perspective that dumb meant dumb and lazy meant lazy; not one pretending to be both or the other. Management's job is to delegate and ensure smooth operation, yes, but what about a manager that doesn't manage? I'm looking at lazy from the perspective of someone who refuses to work, period. It seems like we're taking this from different points of view.

Oh...and as management, it's ultimately your responsibility shifts are covered, and work is done...even if you have to do it yourself. So, would a lazy person be worth your while, if you had to do his work because it's your job if he doesn't? (Assuming you are the only one capable of carrying out what needed to be done in the event he couldn't/wouldn't.)
edit on 9-5-2011 by BioStatistic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I would rather work with someone who is "less intelligent" perse, over someone who is lazy. Lazy people should be boxed up, mulched and returned to the environment. They are dead weight and serve no purpose but to provide drains on already strained resources.
Such a naive view...little do you realize some of the laziest people in history were also some of the most inspiring poets, philosophers, musicians etc. It's imagination which has contributed the most to this society. The workers merely keep the wheels on the machine turning.

=ZARATHUD’S ENLIGHTENMENT =

Before he became a hermit, Zarathud was a young priest, and
took great delight in making fools of his opponents in front of
his followers.

One day Zarathud took his students to a pleasant pasture and
there he confronted the Sacred Chao while She was contentedly
grazing.

"Tell me, you dumb beast," demanded the Priest in his
commanding voice, "why don’t you do something worthwhile.
What is your Purpose in Life, anyway?"

Munching the tasty grass, The Sacred Chao replied "MU".*

Upon hearing this, absolutely nobody was enlightened. Primarily
because nobody could understand Chinese.

* "MU" is the Chinese ideogram for NO-THING.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

id go with stupid,

they dont worry about health and safety, helps to cut corners and red tape

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

lazy doesn equal redused to work. Refusal to work is insubordination and you get terminated. Im just giving you my perspective of how I often see it. Dumb often is someone playing dumb, in the work force that is. I have worked for smart lazy, and it is annoying, but the work is better.. Ive worked for dumb hard working, and well, lets say it didnt last long cause those people are dumb and youll always be frustrated.. You want the smart lazy. He may be a jerk but hes worth it. But refusal to work, and well you're gone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join