It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows history - full graphics from 1.0 to windows 8

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I thought that it would be interesting for everyone to see as a whole, Windows graphic evolution from the first developer release (1984) to Windows 8.
Oddly, and in spite of all my thorough research through the hundreds, if not thousands, of pages related to the subject, I haven't find any similar graphics gathered together! Of course, there's are "beta collectors", "Microsoft collectors", but no exhaustive "graphics collectors"...

This do not include MS-DOS evolution alone, as it does not offer any graphic evolution/interface and as it wasn't a Microsoft creation, back in 1981.
Although I added some beta versions, I haven't fully expanded all of these beta, as it would needed hundreds of pages to be the more detailed possible. I would be interesting however to work on this, and this will be maybe the subject of another release!

Of course, I'm open to any suggest, criticism or comments. After each chapter, a Divshare link will be given for the original graphic to be donwloaded. The original single files are also available; but please note that the ratio could not be conserved, as there are different format sizes

----------------------------------------------------

Summary:

1- "Pre-release" versions - 16-bits MS-DOS kernel-based - from "developer release 5" to "1.00 premiere edition"
2- 16-bits MS-DOS kernel-based - from "Windows" 1.0 to "Windows 3.2"
3- 16/32-bits architecture and GUI-based 9xx - from "Windows Chicago build 58S" to "Windows Me"
4- 32 bits architecture and NT-based - from "Windows NT 3.1" to "Windows Neptune" 1st part "Windows NT" and "Windows 2000"
5- 32/64 bits architecture and NT-based - from "Windows Whistler" to "Windows 8" 2nd part "Wndows XP, Vista, Seven and 8"
6- Sources and references

-------------------------------------------------

1- "Pre-release" versions - 16-bits MS-DOS kernel-based - from "developer release 5" to "1.00 premiere edition"

Link to the original file
edit on 9-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: add link

edit on 9-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
2- 16-bits MS-DOS kernel-based - from "Windows" 1.0 to "Windows 3.2"

edit on 9-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: add link

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Pretty sure that doesn't show all the way to windows 8 not even windows 95 lol, could you please post all the pics?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
awwww.. memories ....

thx for sharing

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
3- 16/32-bits architecture and GUI-based 9xx - from "Windows Chicago build 58S" to "Windows Me"

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
4- 32 bits architecture and NT-based - from "Windows NT 3.1" to "Windows Neptune" 1st part "Windows NT" and "Windows 2000"

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Ahhh... i remember Windows 3.1

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
5- 32/64 bits architecture and NT-based - from "Windows Whistler" to "Windows 8" 2nd part "Wndows XP, Vista, Seven and 8"

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Eeekk.. given that I reconise them it really makes me feel really old... which just triggered a memmory.. my first portable comp... An Amstrad PPC640 running on I think 8 D size batteries and able to run MsDos 3 for about 30 mins

edit on 9/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Haha, It is surprising to notice that Microsoft managed to keep the same UI (user interface) Of the taskbar and start button for a while. It is nice to see the progression of the Microsoft OS's though being a Linux user, but Microsoft has always been my first.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
My favorite was windows 2000. It was lean and fast for gaming.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Ah brings back memories indeed

My first version of windows was the '286' version back in '89 and I still have the bundle of genuine MS floppies it was distributed on (probably unreadable by now) along with a very early version of Word. I've been PC'ing since before there was any Microsoft at all (think 8080s, CP/M was a new thing and what the hell was a floppy disk let alone a HDD)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ahh the memories....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7aa7a1301d5f.jpg[/atsimg]

We've put up with a lot - God bless you Bill Gates, I don't care what they all say about you

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Haha...Windows was into the tribal thing before the tribal thing was cool.
edit on 9-5-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

AMIGA OS

all you windows phreaks can go to |-|3LL (:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Great thread! This brings back memories of high school, college, and post-college life. Nice change of pace from all the gloom and doom in the news nowadays.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
ME was a complete joke but it's still an important part of the Windows family as it was a bridge build between 98 and Xp. It was also the first Windows OS to have Restore, if memory serves me correctly.

When I bought my first desktop, everything was still horribly expensive and computers really didn't do much compared to today. I bought ME for my machine because it was cheaper than 2000 and I thought it would be better than 98. I drank the Microsoft marketing Kool-Aid on that one and got burned.

Yes. Ahhh...the memories....

edit on 9-5-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

edit on 9-5-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Ahh, the memories.

This was the first start-up screen I used:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebec912d127a.gif[/atsimg]

The C-64.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join