It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"They" hate us for our freedom!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I gather this is the type of freedom that they hate?

edit on 9-5-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

This is a money making scheme that shows you that you are a slave rather than an employer. I'm sure "they" would hate to be this free!!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
brilliant video..

the 'law' is enforced like this in the UK too

edit: just saw the topic too.... haha, genius!
edit on 9-5-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
wow

ok

the streets are no longer public property

why didn't i get a memo

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Lesson to be learned here is: if you go out looking for trouble with the law, you'll find it.

The driver and passenger remind me of freshmen law students who are setting out to test their rights and the officers duties by confronting the police and refusing cooperation. The officers remained calm, politely informed them they were holding up the line and handled the situation nicely.

I for one am glad these checkpoints exist. I think police can't do enough to catch drunk drivers and send out a preventive message because a car in the hands of a drunk turns into a 2000 pound instrument of death and ruined lives.

By the way these checkpoints in no way limit your freedom, unless you think refusing cooperation with LEOs, driving without a license or while intoxicated is part of that freedom.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Symer

Nothing you said matters at all.

Checkpoints are illegal. The only time a cop has the legal right to stop or detain you is if they have reason to believe you are guilty of committing a crime. Checkpoints target random people, so they are in violation of this law because there is no suspicion of wrong doing.

I'd bet you anything these guys didn't get in any sort of trouble, and probably got a free window out of it as well. They did not break any laws, where as the police officers violated their rights and broke the law.

You should look into inventing a time machine so you could go back to Nazi Germany. I bet you would be very happy living there. Or you could just wait a few years and live under the same type of government here in the US.

There is no difference whatsoever between the actions of the Nazis against their own people, and the powers the US government currently hold over it's people. I'm not talking about concentration camps, I'm talking about the ability of the government to intrude into the daily lives of legal citizens. This country is ran by English speaking Nazis, and police, DHS, TSA, etc are their versions of the SS and Gestapo.

"Let me see your papers" Nazism is alive and well in America today. They don't have such spiffy looking uniforms here, though.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Checkpoints are legal as per the special needs exception to the 4th amendment. BTW, like you, I wouldn't be surprised at all if these guys were sent on their way again after the drivers license was found to be OK, it's not like this is Nazi Germany or anything.

I won't dignify your absurd claim about me liking the Nazi's with a response other than to say I tires me to see them brought up so much. Just judge something on it's own pro's and cons instead of always dragging Hitler into the debate because his administration did something that is marginally related to the topic.

Please read up on the atrocities of Nazi Germany, because I don't think you really know what you're accusing people of.
edit on 9/5/11 by Symer because: spelling

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symer
Checkpoints are legal as per the special needs exception to the 4th amendment.

So who pays for the window that was destroyed? I'd say what was done was far in excess of anything the government is allotted by the 4th amendment.

ETA: Care to point out that "special needs exception" of the 4th amendment for those of us who apparently have a different copy of the Bill of Rights than you do?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
reply to post by Symer

You should look into inventing a time machine so you could go back to Nazi Germany.

I think I'd go back a few years earlier than that.

And hunt down the guy with the funny mustache!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

I'm assuming you're intending that to be a rhetorical question, still, this paper from the Houston Law Review should help you understand why the exception was created, what its purpose is and why it has been upheld by judges all the way up to the Supreme Court, despite not being in the Bill of Rights.

About the window: This case will go to court on June 12th, I guess we'll find out who pays for it then. That's what the judicial branch is for.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symer
reply to post by James1982

Checkpoints are legal as per the special needs exception to the 4th amendment. BTW, like you, I wouldn't be surprised at all if these guys were sent on their way again after the drivers license was found to be OK, it's not like this is Nazi Germany or anything.

I won't dignify your absurd claim about me liking the Nazi's with a response other than to say I tires me to see them brought up so much. Just judge something on it's own pro's and cons instead of always dragging Hitler into the debate because his administration did something that is marginally related to the topic.

Please read up on the atrocities of Nazi Germany, because I don't think you really know what you're accusing people of.
edit on 9/5/11 by Symer because: spelling

I specifically said in my post "I'm not talking about concentration camps" which I assumed people would understand to mean I'm not talking about the atrocities of the Nazis. The Nazi party was more than just a war machine going around the world killing people. It was also a party that took an INCREDIBLE amount of rights away from the citizens of Germany. When people make the "Nazi Germany" connection to America, they don't mean America is murdering jews, gays, handicapped people, etc. They mean the American government mirrors quite accurately the powers that the German government held at the time. Meaning, they could intrude into your life, and basically do anything with impunity.

You say that's not how America is today, but you are sadly mistaken. We as American citizens no longer have any rights. The constitution has already been done away with. If the government labels you a terrorist, you have ZERO rights. They can do whatever they want with you. You can be illegally held against your will for as long as they want, you can be tortured, you can be murdered. And there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it. Can you honestly say that is NOT what Nazi Germany was like? Different decade, same tactics and treatment.

I've done plenty of reading about the Nazis and their atrocities, thank you. Which is why I refuse to sugar coat the state this country is in. Name ONE single thing in the Nazi's bag of tricks that the US government doesn't also do RIGHT NOW? Just one thing that doesn't have a mirrored action by the US government.

Don't reply to my assumption that you would be happy in Nazi Germany if you don't want to, but I'll stand by that. Judging by your post you seem to prefer (the illusion of) safety over freedom. You prefer people to be stopped illegally and treated like criminals over freedom. You said so in your post. So don't act like I'm just making things up. You're the one that said it. And if you actually read what I said, you would notice I did NOT say you would Like THE Nazis. I said you would like LIVING IN Nazi Germany. They treated their own citizens the same way the American government is treating us.

There is no middle ground or sliding scale that says how much freedom is OK to take away. Unless you are convicted of a crime your freedom and rights should not be violated in ANY way, shape, or form. Checkpoints are doing just that. Saying they are OK leaves the door open for taking away ANY freedoms without cause to be deemed OK. I will not accept that.

As far as the reason why I, and many other people, draw a connection between America's government, and the government of Nazi Germany is because it's true. What else would you compare the Government to? The German government during WWII had an incredible amount of power over it's own people. Their rights were completely taken away, and people were investigated and imprisoned for no reason at all, just like today in America.

The American government has yet to match the Nazi's in the number of people murdered, but we are getting pretty close. But as far as the political environment of Germany during WWII, America is spot on. You, and I, have no right. We live out lives at the complete mercy of the government, just like German citizens did. The comparison is there, whether I, or anyone else draws the lines connecting the two.

new topics

top topics

join