It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone notice the unemployment rate go up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Employment Situation Summary

Nonfarm payroll employment rose by 244,000 in April, and the unemployment rate edged up to 9.0 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in several service-providing industries, manufacturing, and mining.

The number of unemployed persons, at 13.7 million, changed little in April. The unemployment rate edged up from 8.8 to 9.0 percent over the month but was 0.8 percentage point lower than in November. The labor force also was little changed in April.

I believe this report came out on May 6. The data come from April and the report for May will come out early June.

Some more in-depth stats from the site.
Adult men - 8.8 %
Adult women - 7.9 %
Teens - 24.9 %

Keep in mind that the stats are skewed. example - Discouraged workers are not counted as unemployed, Heres what the report says.

In April, 2.5 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, about the same as a year earlier. (These data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey.

Im not sure if im reading this right but does the above statement mean that 2.5 million people are not counted?

Heres another kicker...Unemployment has gone up even though thousands of jobs have been added....

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 244,000 in April, and the private sector added 268,000 jobs. Employment rose in a number of service- providing industries, manufacturing, and mining.

I cant really make sense of all these numbers.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Correct on the 2.5 million.

The real unemployment rate (if you count unemployed not actively seeking, part-timers seeking full-time work, and those no longer collecting benefits) is actually higher.

The "official" unemployment numbers are misleading because they don't take those people into account.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I believe the number of new jobs needed is 350,00 per month just to meet the demand of new people joining the workforce. This means any monthly "job gains" below this 350,000 number may represent a "gross" increase, but they actually also show a more important "net" decrease, not increase.

Therefore when we are told we saw 280,000 new jobs, we are being told the happy side.

The sad side is that in reality 70,000 new people just joined the ranks of having no job last month.

It's all about painting lipstick on a pig my friend. I work retail and that quote from Wal-Mart about their customers running out of money wasn't just a bunch of hot air. This is far worse then what is being portrayed to us.

(Man, I've been writing doom & gloom all day...time to youtube out. Cheers!)

edit on 9-5-2011 by Hessling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Good post, good to bring up this obvious lie even though others
have posted it this drum needs to keep being beaten.

The jobs have been off shored or 73 different types Visas were made to let
ppl come into the country to abuse what they were meant for.

73 US Visas listed - some abused to work in the US

then we have ppl that can't be bothered with even using the corrupt
Visa system and just walk across the border where there is ZERO fence.

Its hot there, and its desert, but they have those in Mexico too, not just
ppl from Mexico do this but ppl from other nations.

The Canadian border is a less looked at issue, but it is happening there as well.

So Shadowstats took a look at unemployment and it is closer to 24%.

Shadowstats unemployment rate

If you look at the number of working age adults who have jobs the picture
gets alot worse.

Only 45% of working age adults had a job in 2010

Truth is treason in the empire of lies, and it was that way long before the
current administration.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Just have to add this

CEO pay exceeds pre-recession level

CEOs at the nation’s largest companies were paid better last year than they were in 2007, when the economy was booming, the stock market set a record high and unemployment was roughly half what it is today.

The typical pay package for the head of a company in the Standard & Poor’s 500 was $9 million in 2010, according to an analysis by The Associated Press using data provided by Equilar, an executive compensation research firm. That was 24 percent higher than a year earlier, reversing two years of declines.

And this

House Prices Now Falling At Fastest Rate Since Lehman Collapse

New data just out from Zillow, the real-estate information company, show house prices are falling at their fastest rate since the Lehman collapse.

Is it just me or does another crash seem to be right around the corner?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think I missed that "24.9% of teens" info earlier.

Think about that for a minute. One quarter of teens (16-19, I'm assuming) are not working or not able to find work. While I'd like more info to compare that to, it seems significant, especially in light of riots/uprisings in the ME, North Africa, and even Greece. A lot of youth were involved in the protests/riots in countries there.

Here, we're at flashmob level, but I think it's going to get worse soon.

'Ware the jobless teen!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
didn't mc ds hire a bunch of those stats you are quoting?
they just had that big but hiring afair...
a whole bunch of
part time burger flipping jobs....

engineering burgers

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

the gov't is in the process of decreasing the forces, my son was one of the ones they gave an early dishcarge to. how many others have been, not sure...but that might be part of the puzzle...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

the gov't is in the process of decreasing the forces, my son was one of the ones they gave an early dishcarge to. how many others have been, not sure...but that might be part of the puzzle...

Well... That's sort of good news I suppose.

They were offering huge bonuses for people who would re-enlist to help support the war effort. Maybe things will be settling down on the war front.

It seemed kind of dumb to have a huge army in peacetime. You're pretty much paying these people to sit around (well.. not literally sitting around, but not killing bad guys either).

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Saw it. Not surprised.
Things are sadly getting worse, not better.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 244,000 in April, and the private sector added 268,000 jobs. Employment rose in a number of service- providing industries, manufacturing, and mining.

I am going to attempt to explain this to you. These are jobs they hired either illegal non-citizens or legal immigrant non-citizens to work for them (by this I mean the company provided them a work VISA). So there you have it.

edit on 9-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: space bar lol

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hey all new graduates, take Tim Geithner's advice and move to DC. Its the only sector/region seeing growth. NO SURPRISE!!

According to the BLS, government employment in the Washington metropolitan area has increased by 105,700 jobs over the past decade and by 27,700 jobs just since January 2009 when President Barack Obama was inaugurated president.

www.cnsnews.com...

data.bls.gov...

27,700 since January of 2009. If Obamacare ever gets into full swing this number will skyrocket along with the bureaucratic red tape.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayson

not really, I think that the reason that they let so many go was that without a set budget, the pentagon had no idea how much money they would be getting each month. my son's ship was decommed. and well, he was supposed to have been transferred before that happened even. and well, by what I've read....they were having problems getting them moved into different areas of the navy.....lack of funds....
oh, well, kind of glad he is out anyways, so isn't he...

new topics

top topics

join