It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the GOP to do?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
With the death of Usama Bin Laden President Obama won a major victory in the eyes of Americans but for us political people it was much more than that. Just days before the first Republican Presidential debates he hit the Republicans where they would never expect it; national security. For decades Republicans were seen as the ones strong on national security beginning with the rally cry “Democrats lost China” referring to China falling to Mao Zedong under a Democratic President.

Vowing to resurrect the name of the Democratic Party Lyndon Johnson proclaimed that he would not let Southeast Asia go the way of China which resulted in the Vietnam War. It was seen as a tremendous loss for Democrats. Under Jimmy Carter he was slammed for being weak on security and defense for not only lowering the size of our military (which was false) but for not being able to solve the Iranian hostage crisis.

Bill Clinton in the 1990s was opposed by many in the GOP for his intervention in the Balkans and regardless of how it ended he never won any national security points for his actions. Now we go to President Obama who was attacked hard by the pro-war Neocons in the GOP. He was called “weak” and “timid” on national security, the stereotypical liberal.

However there was one thing that liberal did which 7 years of Republican George W. Bush could never do and that is ketch the mastermind behind 9/11. That really had to hurt the Republicans. Not only has Obama caught and killed Bin Laden but he has taken us into Libya, is keeping us in Iraq, sent more troops into Afghanistan and has no real timetable of withdrawal, raised the war budget to record levels, kept the USA Patriot Act, expanded the size and scope of the TSA and Department of Homeland Security, and stopped a terrorist attack on an airplane and in New York City.

Exactly how can any Republican candidate legitimately criticize this President for being not strong enough on national defense without looking like he has lived under a rock for years, what more could he have done?

Most Republicans have played the national security card well against Democrats but in 2012 it will not work out so well. But if that issue fails then they obviously must have their wedge issues to fall back on, correct? Wrong.

Gays can now serve openly in the military, pro-life has dropped to its lowest levels since polling on the issue began, opposition to gay marriage has lost its importance and its support, the President has yet to even propose any legislation limiting gun ownership (not to say that he won’t), the immigration issue will lose you more votes than it will gain, and social issues in general have really taken a back seat.

Maybe the Neoconservatives will recognize all of this and decide to run on the economy? Good luck with that. Rick Santorum voted for the state enlarging Medicare Prescription Drug Plan under Bush. Tim Pawlenty openly supported Cap-and-Trade policies in Minnesota. Mitt Romney passed a health care law in Massachusetts which is almost identical to the President’s. Mike Huckabee presided over large tax increases in Arkansas while governor. So what do they have left?

Well they have Newt Gingrich but he has so much personal baggage it is scary. Donald Trump and Sarah Palin are considered far too much of a joke to be taken seriously by enough people. And all of these candidates would have run on a strong national security/social issues platform, neither of which the Republicans are given much support for today. Who does that leave us with who will not be seen as hypocrites, do not ramble on constantly about social issues, and who do not put national security as something only Republicans are strong on? Ron Paul, Herman Cain, and Gary Johnson.

All three of these men have focused more of their efforts on fiscal issues and domestic affairs than social issues and foreign wars. Gary Johnson is too much of a newcomer to the game and while I like the guy he just is not cut out for this job, not yet anyway. That basically leaves us with Ron Paul and Herman Cain.

What are the Republicans to do if their only vote getter issues are not wedge issues or national security? They must focus on fiscal issues, which they have done poorly on in the past three decades. Maybe it is a chance for a reformation of the party from the old to the new? Or should I say from the new to the old as it was not until the 1970s that the Republicans began to pick up the wedge issues as a key part of their platform thus chasing off their original base in the Northeast and Midwest for the South.

Hopefully we can see a real attitude change away from the senseless ramblings about social issues and who can out imperialist the other to a strong debate centered around not only the current economy but the entire philosophy of our government should handle the economy and affairs domestically.

I personally see no better representative for such a fight than Ron Paul.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
However there was one thing that liberal did which 7 years of Republican George W. Bush could never do and that is ketch the mastermind behind 9/11.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't get any further than this...can we stop with the "Osama is the mastermind behind 9-11" crap. No he is not. Not even the F.B.I. has him listed as such on their "most wanted" page. They have already admitted that there is nothing to tie him to what happened that day.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by meeneecat

You are looking at this from the POV of a conspiracy theorist. I am writing this thread from the POV of the general public and how they are/would perceive the events.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
He is currently ranked as the worse President in US History. He Let the Us Military go get Osoma Bin Ladin. Big deal. If he had not he would have been Impeached. The Economy is worse than its been since the 80's's our dollar is worth almost nothing. Who are you kidding you must work for the democratic party, lol Good luck with that reelection. Your gonna need it just to get your own parties nomination. Our deficit that he has doubled in 2 years has never been this high. Oh and every promise he made to his voters he failed to even try to accomplish and we are now in three wars instead of the zero that he said we'd be in if he was president. his presidency could have not been worse. And he had the house and the senate for two years, He could have passed or undone Anything.

The entire world hates us. Other than you. do you personally know of anyone planning on voting for him? I don't care who or what party runs against him. I'm voting for him or her. I would vote for Fog Horn Leg Horn before him. It's not personal. It's not race. he has no creditability. He back door's every thing. he's simply not qualified... I'm astonished we are even having this discussion.
edit on 5/9/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

What makes you think I support President Obama, the Democratic Party, or any of his policies? Where did I say that what I wrote was something I personally supported? Where did I say he did a good job on the economy? If necessary please quote it from the OP.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well I am looking at things from the general publics point of view, Theyre unemployed their houses are in forclosure and many spent the winter with out heat; Many middle class people are bankrupt and starving. Unemployment is rising and they say they created 225,000. So we have more than that working for the government? how many we losing because fact is unemployment rose back up to 9 percent and gas is gonna be 6 dollars a gallon befoore summer is over. And like we need a bigger gov. That's already the largest work force in the nation
edit on 5/9/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

Apparently no one understands the OP. How can this be possible?

First I am criticized because what I said was not conspiratorial enough so I tried to correct that by saying this is how it would be viewed from the general public meaning that the general public are not conspiracy theorist truthers/deathers. So I was trying to get that point across that this was written so that it could even be read by non-conspiracy theorists and easily understood.

Then I was attacked for being a proponent of the Democratic Party and the policies of President Obama even though I said nothing of the sort and it could not be furthest from the truth. I was attempting to write an objective article and post it onto ATS but I guess that unless my article is completely partisan then it is to defend Obama. Deny ignorance.

Now you are telling me the general public are more worried about the economy... you think!? That is rather part of the main point being made. People do not care about these stupid wedge issues and the Republicans lost the national security superiority fight so now they must argue the positions that are important to people; the economy.

I guess this is what happens when you try and write an objective piece on ATS.
edit on 5/9/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Go away and cry!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Since quite obviously your elaborate and well prepared reply was so thoughtful I should apologize for not being on your intellectual level.

I guess maybe the OP was too sophisticated for you to comprehend then?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Since quite obviously your elaborate and well prepared reply was so thoughtful I should apologize for not being on your intellectual level.

I guess maybe the OP was too sophisticated for you to comprehend then?

Sophisticated to comprehend? Are you kidding me?
!

You obviously do not know me too well, I will comprehend, understand way more info them probally you both combined on my best day and supercede each individually

It's true, The GOP's mantra has been in place since the 1980's and does way more harm then good and is done. So sorry, cry me a river!.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
Sophisticated to comprehend? Are you kidding me?
!

You obviously do not know me too well, I will comprehend, understand way more info them probally you both combined on my best day and supercede each individually

At least if you are going to proclaim superior intellect and comprehension you could at least attempt to get the grammar and spelling correct.

It's true, The GOP's mantra has been in place since the 1980's and does way more harm then good and is done. So sorry, cry me a river!.

Would you mind elaborating upon this further? It does not seem to make clear sense when the words are thrown together like this.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The only weapon the Cons really had was to generate a massive deficit-Clintons fiscal policy was near paying it all off and had that happened-they would forever have lost power. Now all they can do is light things on fire and blame it on others.

The tactics are imploding though. The Cons created the t-party in a hope to reinvigorate them on a grassroots level and did nothing but breed psychosis.

The House of Cons is on fire.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
The only weapon the Cons really had was to generate a massive deficit-Clintons fiscal policy was near paying it all off and had that happened-they would forever have lost power. Now all they can do is light things on fire and blame it on others.

The tactics are imploding though. The Cons created the t-party in a hope to reinvigorate them on a grassroots level and did nothing but breed psychosis.

The House of Cons is on fire.

Burn, baby, burn! The entire nation has been in freefall since the practices went into play.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Misoir, a very well-written and thought out post. I won't make the same mistake twice on misunderstanding your position. I am deeply concerned that many will be fooled by this move of the administration. Some insider leakage did manage to come out that it was really Hills, Gates, and Panetta who ran the mission, and BO was taking the advice of Jarrett, who advised him not to do the raid. Then later the media moved in to spin it some more to patch up the fractures of this WH crew. Unfortunately, either way, we are now hated even more for the raid by the muslim community while Obama himself took all the credit. I am surprised he is not frightened for the safety of his family.
Just my thoughts on all this.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Misoir, a very well-written and thought out post. I won't make the same mistake twice on misunderstanding your position. I am deeply concerned that many will be fooled by this move of the administration. Some insider leakage did manage to come out that it was really Hills, Gates, and Panetta who ran the mission, and BO was taking the advice of Jarrett, who advised him not to do the raid. Then later the media moved in to spin it some more to patch up the fractures of this WH crew. Unfortunately, either way, we are now hated even more for the raid by the muslim community while Obama himself took all the credit. I am surprised he is not frightened for the safety of his family.
Just my thoughts on all this.

They are elated, only the staunch followers are in an uproar, general Islam and Arabia is welcoming this news with open arms and are able to rest.

Who should be freightened for their safety?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
whats the gop to do? the same thing as always.

what obama did with failing poll numbers spending trillions adding to the national deficit a weak economy he did the only thing he could do produce a miralcle out of thin air to give the public something to talk about other than the state of the union.

historically democrats have always been weak on defense and not highly thought of in the military for good reasons
everyone knows if the democrats had their way there would be no military and no intelligence agencies.

one clarification when i said historically i am talking about from clinton onward and the postions they have taken.

obama and the democrats campaigned against any "tough" policy or anything that strengthens the military.

i have yet to see any democrat in todays world ever to introduce anything that can better the military instead all they do is cut defense and cut intelligence.

who is fooled? even with the nonstop onslaught on the second ammendment for what many military members are advocates of.

nah the gop aint perfect and has many flaws but if people think the democrats and obama has the military or intelligence agencies back think agian.

and the public perception is wrong and its wrong in a big way.

the number one play for the gop is to focus on the economy like clinton did when campaigning against bush senior and hammer that issue down.

when its all said and done its carvels messages " its the economy stupid" the exact quote and i am not calling anyone stupid.

thats the message the gop needs to deliever.

edit on 9-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

FDR was a Democrat who started and ended WWII! So to say Dems are soft on defense is a lie.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Good POLITICAL analysis
I tend to think the non policy related, demagoguery of my savior is a direct result
of what you highlight. This coming election will represent what it always has in modern times,
a choice between two cancerous evils. One engorges government, which benefits corporatism
and the other benefits corporatism, who engorge government, the choice is clear!

We are fawked!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

fdr was the biggest fascist president this country has ever had

stole gold from fort knox, made gold illegal to own,confiscated it, and round up and threw american in prison.

fdr didnt end world war 2 trumans dropping 2 nuclear bombs did another democrat

the biggest mass murder in us history

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Cause clearly we need to spend more money preparing to kill things

and

spying on people!

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join