It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be the benefit of a democratic Middle East?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
If Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Yemen, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Israel, and Lebanon were all peaceful democracies, wouldn't they end up being an Arabian Union like the European Union?

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
So people can have a say in the the way the place that they live is run without having to be violent.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Probably they would union up to strength their interests. Economical unions like the EU are quite impossible. Kuwait, Quatar or Dubai are just too rich to team up with the others. Politically it would be a good move.
I doubt an equivalent could be ever established, that's against arab culture. Too much cooperation needed and they would need to skip their usual primitive politics.

There is the arab league but I have no clue in how far this one equals to western unions like the EU.

Anyway, I think you can take out Israel in this one

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Economic, political, and social freedoms = $$$$

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
If Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Yemen, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Israel, and Lebanon were all peaceful democracies, wouldn't they end up being an Arabian Union like the European Union?

The benifit would be to the ones who form the constitution.

They would have complete control of the nation they give democracy to.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1-8-2004 by ArchAngel]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think that another question to considder while looking at this is if the Middle Eastern cultures at large could be compatible with western-style democracy.

I actually think that at least a minority of people would reject the ideals of democracy and it could possible make radical Islamic terrorist groups stronger.

If democracy could be worked into the nations, I believe that they would form a trade bloc and such much like the EU, probably as part of OPEC. I think that this is at least 50 years or more in the future though, things in that part of the world do not change quickly.

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

new topics

top topics

join