It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misplaced Cat. Mountain lion in Tulsa, Ok

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
News Story

TULSA, Oklahoma -- There was more than just Easter Eggs hiding in a North Tulsa man's backyard this weekend. A mountain lion made it's way up a tree, giving Luke Roberts and law enforcement quite a surprise. Mountain lions are not common around these parts of Oklahoma. The Wildlife Game Commission is trying to figure out where the female mountain lion came from and how she wound up in Roberts' tree.

I'm amazed that this story hasn't shown up here earlier. The local zoo took possession of the animal and has been taking care of it. From what some of the folks have been saying, this animal doesn't act like an animal that is used to being around humans so the chance that it is an escaped pet is remote.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by soontide

That is interesting but it really isn't far from the Mountain Lion (Puma etc..) range traditionally. But as this study will say very little is known about the Central reaches of it's range. Most is associated with the Western reaches, but Texas has enough to allow hunting of the big cats. But it is unusual that is for sure, mountainlion.org...

This site has a good map of the Puma's range. www.totalwildlifecontrol.com...
edit on 5/9/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Thats actually not too far fetched considering tulsa is a hilly area near lakes and things. Hell we had a "misplaced" bear roaming around this part of TX a few years ago, and get the occasional mt. lion every couple of years.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Actually this isn't very surprising.

Over the last several years here at ATS in the crypto forum we have discussed various reports and sightings of mountain lions in Oklahoma. This is not unheard of at all.

I have even seen at least two separate news stories from local news stations covering the reports and interviewing witnesses etc.

There is a pattern here, although it is sporadic and over a long time scale.

Perhaps this particular mountain lion in this story you posted is the same mountain lion spotted several times over the last few years? Or perhaps it is a offspring of the one spotted?

There may be a breeding population, but it's hard to say at this point.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion

That is interesting but it really isn't far from the Mountain Lion (Puma etc..) range traditionally. But as this study will say very little is known about the Central reaches of it's range. Most is associated with the Western reaches, but Texas has enough to allow hunting of the big cats. But it is unusual that is for sure, mountainlion.org...

This site has a good map of the Puma's range. www.totalwildlifecontrol.com...
edit on 5/9/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

Very nice post. Thank you for the excellent reference information.
Don't overlook Gol's post guys/gals, it is very relevant.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
this isnt odd at all we have mountain lions caught in tulsa and surrounding area every few years theres one loose near my house in the 1000 acres behind my house ive seen it early morning one day while hunting and its cry was bone chilling and scared the hell outta me it was too far away to kill with my cross bow. but it has killed 2 of our horses in the last few years an i dont know how many deer carcass my dogs have drug up that it has killed at least 3-4 year. as long as it dont come in my yard or close to my house ill let it live,
edit on 9-5-2011 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think this is good news. Mountain lions are "unofficialy" in my state as well as New York, right next door. The game commision denies they exist here but every single year there are sightings and footprints. A family friends neighbor shot one for killing his cattle up in Ripley New York. It was tagged and even than the game commission denied it.
I think it's good news because they are in a lot more places than we expect, especially out east here where they are supposedly non-existent anymore, so that means there are probably healthy individuals procreating. People need to be informed to preserve this creature and in the same breath appreciate it and how dangerous it is. We must remember, we invaded ITS territory.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm personally aware that mountain lions live in the area of northeast Oklahoma, I've seen them myself. The reason that I posted this story was mainly because of the prevailing insistence by the Oklahoma wildlife authority that Mountain lion's are not present in northeast Oklahoma. So far, this one hasn't been identified as an escaped pet. One official did say that mountain lions are native to Oklahoma but are only found in the far western part of the state.

Hopefully the DNA tests will show that she isn't part of a population that is a known one far to the west but that she's a native of the area. Maybe then the rangers will begin taking sightings of the animals seriously.

top topics

join