It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is junk food child abuse?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Is junk food child abuse?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6b8d0103f3b.jpg[/atsimg]

www.smh.com.au

You can blame the childhood obesity epidemic on many factors, but, says Michelle Bridges, the ultimate responsibility lies with parents.

It's crazy, really - we all know what we should be eating. There are no secrets out there. How many times have you heard someone say, "I shouldn't be eating this, but ..." as they stuff another piece of banana bread in their mouth? If we accept that we all pretty much know what we should and shouldn't be eating to maintain a healthy weight, then isn't regularl
(visit the link for the full news article)

MORE ON CHILD OBESITY HERE
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 8/5/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Now I know that may be a controversial position to take, and that I might cop some flak for making such a statement - particularly as I'm not a parent myself - but I've been a child (as have you) and I know how a child's mind works (and you do, too). Nag long enough for chips or soft drinks and you might get lucky, and if Mum or Dad starts to weaken, keep niggling away.

From the age of about six until adolescence, we develop the total number of fat cells that we will carry for the rest of our lives. Overweight children start developing fat cells from about the age of two, thereby increasing their total fat cells along with the likelihood of obesity in later life. This is why it's crucial that your child is a normal weight in his or her early years.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
''Is junk food child abuse?''

Yes, of course it is.

If a parent hasn't got enough time to give their child a proper, well-cooked meal on a daily basis, then I have to wonder whether these ''junk-food'' parents are actually fit to raise a child.

The fact that this question is even being posed tells us a lot about the general culture of the USA at the moment.

edit on 8-5-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It is a slow and inconspicuous form, yes, but it is a form of child abuse. Good luck enacting any laws on it though, I doubt even China would go that far.

The best we can do at this point is socially ostracize them with disapproving glances and the absence of any communication between "them and us".

While they're living shorter, more inconvenient lives the rest of us will be living happier and longer. If that's the way they want it, how can you stop them?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Live free or die. Morality should not compromise freedoms in any way. I should be able to eat, and let my kids eat, whatever they want. As long as I am not infringing on others rights I should be left to myself to do what i please.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Negative, the amount of fat cells you are born with is what you carry with you, fat cells increase or decrease in size, not number. So If you're 5 feet tall and 200lbs and you lose 90 lbs, you have the same amount of fat cells that you had when you were 200lbs... they simply got smaller.

As far as the child abuse issue, it's a thin line... I have my kids eat as healthy as possible situations permitting...Fresh Fruits & vegetables, not too many sugary snacks... but at the same time I allow them cookies and things as well in moderation.

You have a responsiblity to your children to feed them properly because they are dependant on you to make the right decisions for them, that being said I know people with fat kids that feed them crap because they are too lazy to actually cook for them and prepare meals and everything they feed their kids comes out of a box... to me that's child abuse.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If ever we start letting government deem the menu we choose to serve or allow our families to have as abuse, we soon will all be eating soylent green.

Like anything, 'junk food' is only bad in excess. A gun is bad when used in a crime, but I can take the same gun and teach my kid to hunt. Guns aren't bad, even when exposing them to kids. This goes for food.

Poor parenting, but not abuse.
edit on 8-5-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Britain's childhood obesity crisis revealed

Across England almost 23 per cent of children aged four to five were overweight or obese, rising to over 31 per cent at age ten to 11.
ttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1579351/Brita ins-childhood-obesity-crisis-revealed.html

U.K. child obesity rising

The report predicts that the number of 6- to 10-year-olds who will become obese will rise dramatically until the 2040s, Britain's The Observer reported.
Health campaigners who gathered in London Saturday night said the finding proves Britain faces a dire public health crisis.

www.physorg.com...

Not just a USA problem it's an Australian news site that is running this and many other country's besides UK have an alarmingly large proportion of obese people
edit on 8/5/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
Live free or die. Morality should not compromise freedoms in any way. I should be able to eat, and let my kids eat, whatever they want. As long as I am not infringing on others rights I should be left to myself to do what i please.

Bollocks.

Why should your children be forced to eat what you decide is best for them ?

You don't own your children. They have rights that extend long beyond their dad's thoughts...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I wouldn't go as far as calling it abuse.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
If it's child abuse should McDonald's be considered suicide?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

If you know the difference between good and bad food yet you provide your child with bad food, than there is no excuse you are essentially killing your child slowly with this poisonous lifestyle choice.
And to help contribute to your child's early demise sure sounds like abuse to me.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Nice try, but no.

The ''obesity'' levels that apply to children in the UK are far lower than those in the land of obesity: the USA.

The second link that you provided is a ridiculous, unregulated report about a so-called child obesity survey.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Bollocks.

You don't own your children. They have rights that extend long beyond their dad's thoughts...

Well, if you can't force your kids to eat what's best for them, healthy eating goes out the window because they would eat only junk food.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

you should but that does not make it right. You should be able to feed your kids junk food just as you should be able to spank them. (I do not thank spanking is right. I think the only reason people condone it is because they have been brain washed by tv shows that make people look crazy if they do not believe in HITTING their child to teach them a lesson? What lesson is that? Violent revenge?) junk food is poison, once you start eating healthy junk food start to taste like cardboard. Now im not talking about a cookie im talking cadny chips and soda. The stuff with corn syrup and all the other INDUSTRIAL WAIST ingredients. The child should at least be told what they are eating.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Slippery slope.
Is (name a religion) child abuse?
Is (name a tv programme) child abuse?
Is (name a vehicle you put your child in) child abuse?

Sounds good. Sounds like a topic for caring, open-hearted people. Lots of love and rainbows.

But where is the line between caring and "we know better than you"?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Bollocks.

Soo, you saying that you'd have people in some way punished for letting their children eat fast food?

That's a very dodgy statement to make "Why should your children be forced to eat what you decide is best for them" - Who else is to decide if not the parents? You?

The Prime minister?

A random police officer on a routine nutrition verification check of the local hood?

Fast food is not child abuse. The parent who lacks control over their child is the issue, not the world around it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Well, if you can't force your kids to eat what's best for them, healthy eating goes out the window because they would eat only junk food.

The difference being, of course, that what's best for the kids is pretty self-explanatory, and is backed up by nutritional science.

The argument that ''it's my kid, I'll feed him what I want'' is borderline child abuse, because what his father may want him to eat or drink, means nothing towards the well-being of his child...

edit on 8-5-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

link   
this subject treads dangerous waters. it's in all our best interest to yet consider this NOT child abuse. some parents are terrible and lazy, but a great culprit here is the countless downsizings of school recess, gym, and sports programs.

all that aside though, the minute the government or various soccer mom groups get something to run with on this issue, you will see many of our favorite, indulgent, foods sky-rocket in price, decrease in portion, then finally be banned out right.

also if you can't control your kid, you both probably need an ass whooping. I'm not gonna risk losing something I like cause your fat, diabetic, moster is outta control.

link   

Absolutely not.
I think it is ignorance pure and simple.

Does not say much for our education or health care system. With all the doctors in practice and primary education we have in schools you would think people'd learn how not to die so quickly and how not to kill their kids. Maybe the advertising is too seductive to let rational permeate decision making and maybe they are using subliminal techniques to get people to purchase the garbage? You know that they are.
It is about profits though. Nobody really cares about the kids everybody just wants to keep their money and so the corporations sell garbage for little to nothing and the people buy it for little to nothing and then the kiddies get to wear clothes to school cause mom saved a few pennies on a Happy Meal with a free toy. That is the only toy the kid ever gets.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join