It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study estimates that illegal immigrants paid $11.2B in taxes last year, unlike GE, which paid zero

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I read a lot of post on ATS saying illegal immigrants are stealing jobs and all that but never saw anyone mention any positive things.

I bet most of you didn't know undocumented immigrants contributed more - much more - to the national treasury last year than General Electric. Surprised? Yet it's true.

articles.nydailynews.com...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ufokrazy

Why should large corporations have to pay tax at all? Especially the poor ones that required government handouts, poor buggers!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ufokrazy
I read a lot of post on ATS saying illegal immigrants are stealing jobs and all that but never saw anyone mention any positive things.

I think they are mostly stealing the jobs no one wants, while GE is stealing money that everybody wants.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Great, if they are paying income taxes then we can find them and ask them to become legal citizens, or leave if they do not wish to abide by our laws. No problem.

And... GE and other corps should NOT be getting such enormous breaks that they can shelter 5.1 billion in profits, either.
edit on 8-5-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I did a quick search on how much is being spent on illegals each year for welfare programs..Saw 11-16 billion a year, some estimates higher.

Deebo

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Cheap labor drives down wages for many many Americans. It undermines ones ability to negotiate ones value. Someone is willing to undercut you, especially if they are "invisible" and can be paid under the table, paying no income tax.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

The only illegal immigrants I know pick apples in my town. They pay taxes and accept lower than minimum wage so I get cheap apples. They pay taxes, apples are cheap.

Meanwhile, GE made billions in profit and still got a tax refund (read our tax dollars went to GE to help them enjoy their profits) as a result I get to pay 5 bucks for one light bulb now.

Hard to redirect my anger.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
People often do this. They take two separate topics, and combine them to prove a point. Well here is the truth:

1. "undocumented aliens" (criminal trespassers) should not be here period.
2. GE should pay taxes

link   
reply to post by andremains

If they are below minimum wage they are not being reported, thus not paying taxes.

link   
The cost of welfare to children of illegal immigrants to Los Angeles county, CA last year: $600 million. This is just one county.

Costs of Social Welfare Programs for Illegal Immigrants

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
They say that:

"Study estimates that illegal immigrants paid $11.2B in taxes last year, unlike GE, which paid zero"

That may be true but the problem is that if ILLEGAL immigrates paid those taxes they had to have a social security number and if they did then they are guilty of Identity fraud. They are using somebodies numbers and that's ANOTHER crime.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

thats great why are illegal immigrants paying taxes well atleast income taxes. I hope they arent because thats just silly if they are.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
The cost of welfare to children of illegal immigrants to Los Angeles county, CA last year: $600 million. This is just one county.

Costs of Social Welfare Programs for Illegal Immigrants

Ok, but you are taking bits and pieces from the overall equation. Many illegal immigrants purchase things. These things have sales taxes associated with them. Any idea how much in sales tax that illegal immigrants in LA county paid last year? I don't have the number and it would be hard to quantify, but I don't think when it's all said and done that with these people here that they are more of a drain on the government income statement than a positive.

Illegal immigrants have taxes withheld usually under fake names. So they cannot file tax returns. No standard deduction = money for the government.

The problem is that the government is so more interested in creating 2nd class citizens for the benefit of corporations that are willing to exploit cheap immigrant labor than to promote open and efficient immigration like they did when our ancestors came here.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
They say that:

"Study estimates that illegal immigrants paid $11.2B in taxes last year, unlike GE, which paid zero"

That may be true but the problem is that if ILLEGAL immigrates paid those taxes they had to have a social security number and if they did then they are guilty of Identity fraud. They are using somebodies numbers and that's ANOTHER crime.

It helps to finish reading if we want to understand.

Anyone buying anything in a store pays a sales tax. So even if they got the money under the table cash, if they spend that money in the US, they help fund our wars and pay for their own programs that benefit them.

On the other hand (!)...they send every bit of the money they can back home to their families still in Mexico. Then, they can go back home and retire because it's super cheap to live there.

So, it can be interpreted in different ways.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Back in the 60 and 70s the american goverment had this program of temporary seasonal farm workers,they got paid but they also paid tax like everybody.The illegal inmigrants now days file their taxes like any w2,but since they have fake s.s. they dont get any returns,so they really generate more than just work to this country,multiply the returns that they dont get for 40 or 30 years and then for the millions of them,is just great money.The services they get are subject to expire, so they have to apply again,when they do that,NOT ALWAYS THEY ARE QUALIFY to get it,for either cause.BE REAL the help they want is compare to nothing if you see the economic benefit that plays around.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
People that gripe about illegals not paying taxes are nuts.. They have to have false social security cards to get jobs and the money they pay in isn't going to be filed on or they would be caught and deported... They pay a bigger part of their income than those that make the same or a considerable amount more and file for returns with deductions while the fat cats living in gated communities milk the middle class and the poor wet backs... This is the real reason there is no real effort to deport these people back to Mexico but no one is going to acknowledge that because they might focus on the real drain on the wealth of this nation that has led it's citizens to believe so many lies that the truth is referred to as conspiracy theory.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
People that gripe about illegals not paying taxes are nuts.. They have to have false social security cards to get jobs and the money they pay in isn't going to be filed on or they would be caught and deported... They pay a bigger part of their income than those that make the same or a considerable amount more and file for returns with deductions while the fat cats living in gated communities milk the middle class and the poor wet backs... This is the real reason there is no real effort to deport these people back to Mexico but no one is going to acknowledge that because they might focus on the real drain on the wealth of this nation that has led it's citizens to believe so many lies that the truth is referred to as conspiracy theory.

well I know for a fact that illegal immigrants do not need social security cards to get jobs maybe for better jobs but not all jobs. and the middle class lives in gated communities too just to let you know.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by rocha123

It's actually kind of sick that we are even debating this in financial terms.

The fact is that they are breaking American laws on immigration. If we allow them to stay because we can rip them off, we are abusing them for financial gain. If we allow them to stay and rip us off, we are a bunch of fools..

It's a no win situation for LEGAL American citizens, no matter how you cut it..

If it's OK not to follow the laws of American citizenship then count me out.. I'll stop paying taxes and get free healthcare at your expense, no prob....

If we have laws for a reason, then immigrants need to respect them as citizens should.

We are being shamed into accepting this exploitation by dishonest and manipulative people that cry racism, classism and every other "ism" that serves their agenda..

Here is the question that is NEVER EVER answered...

WHY? Why do you refuse to stand up and be counted? Why do you "have a right" to our social programs and our educational programs and our jobs programs whilest we DO NOT have a right to know who you are?

Why is the equal application of our national laws racist? Why do you seek to live amongst us while refusing to take part in our culture and our social systems that provide opportunity for you?

If you do not want to be an American, why are you here??

It's NOT ok.. It is exploitive. You would not be respected for behaving this way in another nation.. I can not do this in Canada or France or China or even Mexico!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
So how did they track what undocumented workers paid in taxes? Like someone else said, if they have a SS its fraudulent. If they meant the hidden taxes from things like gasoline and groceries and diapers and whatever, how were they able to track what undocumented workers spent?
edit on 9-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

The truth is, most of them don't have any SS, but may have a consulate card given to them by the Mexican consulate. If they are undocumented that means they are not tracked and are not legal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join