It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet is our last hope, Mainstream media has failed us.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shikamaru

Who cares if this is on front page? I mean, some can call this a rant or whTever they like. People will only post to whats interested them.

Dont gett frustrated if your meat an potatoes is not on the front page. I find this topic of great importance, and only will something of change come about, when enough people get to read our opinions and then write their own thread.

After all, ideas and movements progress just like technology.

On the shoulders of people who've put in work.

this is the importance of this site, and the new topic firehose. It helps to get a view of "the thoughts" in real time, to see whats on thw mind of my fellow man.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
I totally agree, but sadly the general pop is still asleep and believe all they're spoon-fed... Then you get alternative news sites that crop up on the internet and they are ridiculed.

Exactly! There are too many people around the believe every word that is told to them by the government, and don't see what is really going on around them.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Greensquad414 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DunkdaMonk

To the OP... I have also had similar thought regarding to the nature of the internet. Thanks to it, we are now exposed to multiple points of views, and not just one (i.e the MSM, which expresses the views of TPTB).

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yeah, I would NEVER make the mistake of believing what the media today has to say. Anything at all they say, even if true, I naturally just consider it a lie. After them telling us so many, many, lies.....it's just easier that way. I do watch CNN, however, I actually laugh at the insane things they say and the audacity of some of the blatant lies. I can't get a lot of channels so the news is the only good comedy I can find. I mean, comeon' they don't really expect us to take them serious do they? The women news anchors are hot...so I never hear what they say anyway....the bald guy that looks like Mr. PotatoHead, he's the one I laugh at the most....he just gets so worked up while attacking anyone who says anything about Obama negatively....he's like a bald faithful puppy. Can't help but laugh at all the people that come on the news speaking for, and telling what ALL AMericans are wanting. LOL, they are always so off the mark. They just say whatever comes to mind without evidence or anything, like a network full of children with tourette syndrome.

edit on 9-5-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Here is a conundrum in which you may have missed. Although the mainstream media may look like its recently failed, the internet and media have failed us sometime during the 2000 election. As a result of being an open and free system, the internet has caused 'all' societies to crumble and crash. Democracies and dictatorships are falling apart because citizens are being exposed to propaganda generated by activists, criminals, foreign governments, conspiracy theorists, etc... Since 99.99% (my number based upon experience and research) of the information online is spun, the time tested facts related to history, science, literature, religion, and math are being altered. Young adults and college students are being too influenced by false information; thus, they are losing the ability to evolve society beyond information technologies.

Eventually, society will be forced to turn the internet into a regulated system, which brings more credibility to the information we consume. Although there are negative elements to such a system, the benefits of such a change will allow us to reconnect people with time tested facts.

Within approximately twenty to twenty five years from now (third modern technological revolution), the internet will be switched over to a regulated compendium of knowledge. Educators, local governments, scientists, and engineers will turn the internet into a massive library, which can only be altered and accessed by domestic citizens.

Internet is not our last hope, for it has already failed society. Regardless about all of its positives, the negatives aspects of the system has already outweighed the good.

People can quote me on this. It will all be done under the banner of 'good mental health', and I guarantee that the majority of society will be willing to allow such a change to happen.

Ray Bradbury: A Literary Legend Fights for a Local Library

The Internet? Don’t get him started. “The Internet is a big distraction,” Mr. Bradbury barked from his perch in his house in Los Angeles, which is jammed with enormous stuffed animals, videos, DVDs, wooden toys, photographs and books, with things like the National Medal of Arts sort of tossed on a table...

“Yahoo called me eight weeks ago,” he said, voice rising. “They wanted to put a book of mine on Yahoo! You know what I told them? ‘To hell with you. To hell with you and to hell with the Internet.’

“It’s distracting,” he continued. “It’s meaningless; it’s not real. It’s in the air somewhere.”

Sure, Ray Bradbury is getting very old; however, there is a cold irony to his statement. While we were too focused on evolving information technologies (to reach the internet), all other technological sectors have suffered from us being distracted.

Where is the push for hover cars? Where is the push for space exploration? Where is the push for food replicators? Where is the push to invent new musical instruments? Where is the push to invent the retractile roof house? Where is the push for voice activated lights, windows, and doors? Where is the push for thermal sidewalks, roads, and driveways to melt ice and snow in the winter? Where is the push for phasers?

Where are the technologies in which will allow us to keep the north and south poles frozen for an indefinite period of time?

As a result of the internet's influence on society, 'true' technological advancement has been drastically delayed by several decades and several millenniums.

The internet has already failed us, and no one took the time to notice.

edit on 9-5-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Definitely been feeling like giving up latley, not in the sense of suicide, but in trying to wake people up and tell them the truth.
It seems like every day i come across someone even more gullible and ignorant than the last, i try and inform them and i just get ridiculed and ignored.
I try and get them to listen to alternative news, but nothing changes.
Some days you just wish you could go back to sleep.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fconspiracy
Definitely been feeling like giving up latley, not in the sense of suicide, but in trying to wake people up and tell them the truth. It seems like every day i come across someone even more gullible and ignorant than the last, i try and inform them and i just get ridiculed and ignored. I try and get them to listen to alternative news, but nothing changes. Some days you just wish you could go back to sleep.

Its the negative nature of the internet. Psychologists are already seeing changes in society, and how the web has altered our way of thinking. Its not good.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Don't you think the internet will just go the same way? It already has it's huge gatekeepers and they're only getting more powerful.

Google is the doorway to everything - and it has it's fingers in a lot of pies, and wants them in more. A monopoly in any business should be worrying for consumers.

I wonder how many people actually make use of the internet beyond Google, Facebook and Wikipedia?.... No, I think the internet is heading the same way as any other medium, and will face increased legislation in the future.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
Google is the doorway to everything - and it has it's fingers in a lot of pies, and wants them in more. A monopoly in any business should be worrying for consumers.

You bring up some really good questions. Here is the irony in your above statement.

Yes, Google is the doorway to everything; however, everything it touches is not filtered out for credibility. Its a flawed system that puts garbage information at a click of a mouse.

Second, not everything known to man is online. Majority of our research materials and tested data can only be found in journals, books, and letters in a library.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Genius post, dude! You're absolutely right with this one.

While I can't say that every alternative news site is hogwash, if the MSM is BS-ing everyone as much as people are saying, who's to say they're not behind a lot of the so called 'alternative' media as well (*cough*cough* Alex Jones *cough*)?

This is what I appreciate about ATS. Most of the news that's posted here always comes along with hundreds of people's opinions, allowing the reader to peruse it and come up with his or her own opinion. It's not just fed to you, expecting you to swallow it.

Still, it's pretty scary how much a lot of people are just as loyal to the alternative media as all of the so-called 'sheeple' are loyal to the MSM.
edit on 9-5-2011 by oaf21 because: grammar

edit on 9-5-2011 by oaf21 because: ...still grammatically retarded

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

Where is the push for hover cars? Where is the push for space exploration? Where is the push for food replicators?

What's the goal here? To expand humanity's vile, hypocritical agenda throughout the galaxy?
Glad I could visit, had a blast.... but humans are planetary parasites with no practical purpose.

Nature should - and probably will exterminate us.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scytherius
Can I get an AMEN to your post! BOY have you nailed it. The MSM is a joke. People that call it the "liberal" MSM are fools. The Media has it's own agenda, and it isn't our best interest. They control everything we see and hear. And we are the useful idiots that nod and drool at the latest stupidity they send our way.

I haven't watched "news entertainment" in many a year. I read, I'll watch clips sometimes, but I will never watch any of their crap. The biggest useful idiots are those that follow Faux News ... but the other News Agencies are also loaded with idiocy

I agree, there's nothing "liberal" about the news these days outside of a few shows on MSNBC and a few newspapers that have a large circulation.

It's all about lobbyists and corporations controlling what we hear, know, etc. through mainstream media.

Most news is hardly news, it's just the same few stories re-circulated at any given time.

For example, a couple weeks ago it was all about Trump. Why was every news channel wasting so much time talking about and interviewing this guy? How is it really news? How is that serving the best interests of the people? Meanwhile, what's happened in Japan has already been forgotten. I have no clue what is even going on over there right now.

You could argue it's all about distracting people from real issues. Or about control. Or both.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Tried explaining what was REALLY going on in the world to several friends and family members recently....

I was absolutely floored.....FLOORED...and completely stunned when they all told me blatantly:

"The government has no reason to lie..."

I felt like I had lost a loved one when they all said that.... I did not know how rampant this disease of misinfortion really was... IT WAS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME!!!

Even with all the evidence there is they would believe NONE of it.

My mother in law even told me: "You should be careful what you say, some may call you a traitor"

I served 4 years and 3 tours in Iraq in the Marine Corps..... I believe I am a traitor! Helping conquer and kill countries without any regard to the well being of them.

At the time.... I too thought the government was right......

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

So your saying all reporters and journalists are "in on it"?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Firstly I'd like to say I gave up on believing what the Mass Media has to say, but by no means should one not read the stories they publish - from reading them you are able to see the wood from the trees, make your own critical assessment and decide on the issue its presenting. I often read the MSM to see what their take is on todays issues, and also as a way to interpret what may lie ahead in regards to domestic/foreign policy (say if the media starts pushing lots of stories about a countries human rights atrocities, which in truth the gov. will have known about for years, then one can decipher whether this means potential invasion etc. [see lybia] ).

Make no mistake however I have zero faith in the mass media - people may feel that just because we dont have posters everywhere reminiscent of nazi germany, supporting ridiculous defence budgets etc. - that we dont have propaganda in modern society. I think this is a big problem, as the news is the new propaganda yet most people wont recognise this due to its label as 'news' and such, and thus is more subtle than blatant promotions of policy such as posters or whatever. I do believe at the moment we are in a time of heavy misinformation and propaganda - largely due to a deteriorating global situation/ domestic situation with the economic gap widening and dissent as a result likely increasing. The US and other governments have spent millions on psychological research, especially after the failure of the MSM to cover vietnam (as the invasion fell due to popular opinion at home), and thus we have the media today - it would be ignorant at the most basic level to suggest that the governments of the world havent invested in population control - as ultimately the population is what can bring down a government - not foreign invaders or terrorists or communists or whatever we may call them at the moment.

I think it is important to note however that often these companies cannot avoid being biased in this day and age as their survival depends on it - for instance if the BBC (UK) began taking an anti-war stance we might see something happen to their funds, due to their reliance on the government (despite being 'impartial', which i can tell you being a UK resident is complete utter BS). Similarly with non-gov news organisations their investors and owners are often tied to energy companies, weapons manufacturers etc. and thus literally cannot oppose the terrible situation we find ourselves in at the moment despite their personal beliefs. Thus i urge you whilst attacking the media is a good start, the real enemy is the people behind the media. For instance if a truly 'good' government was in control (completely unrealistic, i know) then the media would support them. Gov. and Media are synonymous unfortunately. Whilst I am a man of logic and rationalising, I do believe we are brainwashed to a degree and that freedom of thought is almost impossible in the face of controlled popular opinion and the HUGE media.

The internet is unfortunately only in its infancy in comparison with television and I am a firm believer that soon enough it will be subject to the rigorous political overhaul most other mediums have faced - in which the pro agenda parts are heavily invested in whilst the anti-gov pro civil movements go underground (see hip hop music as a great example of this). I fear the future of the internet as governments do recongise its potential for dissent. What will we rely on eventually to discuss such things? Carrier Pigeons? Haha.

Finally an additional problem is the HUGE amount of filler media that distracts from real issues - celebrities, reality tv etc. It astounds me that most people will know the names of a celebrities baby over the policies of their corrupt governments or the scandals being revealed on a daily basis.

Reminds me a little of this (cool film btw, albeit a little cheesy) :

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The Globe magazine is the only 'TRUTH' periodical news outlet that we have left....We've sunk to new lows!!
Globe Magazine: Obama 'fake' birth certificate:
edit on 9-5-2011 by truther357 because: Fix that

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Why do you think they want to get rid of PBS and defund public libraries? A well educated public who can think critically doesn't serve the purpose of the elites. They want slaves who are just smart enough to do the work.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Savorrow
Tried explaining what was REALLY going on in the world to several friends and family members recently....

I was absolutely floored.....FLOORED...and completely stunned when they all told me blatantly:

"The government has no reason to lie..."

I felt like I had lost a loved one when they all said that.... I did not know how rampant this disease of misinfortion really was... IT WAS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME!!!

Even with all the evidence there is they would believe NONE of it.

My mother in law even told me: "You should be careful what you say, some may call you a traitor"

I served 4 years and 3 tours in Iraq in the Marine Corps..... I believe I am a traitor! Helping conquer and kill countries without any regard to the well being of them.

At the time.... I too thought the government was right......

This is so true, my own family have the same opinion and think im some kind of crackpot lol. It's not like I run around all day calling everything a cover up but this is getting to be blatant.

I find the lack of reporting about Fukushima to be the scariest thing about the issue at present. I had nothing but news on for 3 days recently and I did not even hear one update of the situation at all.

Also, this is a quite an issue, the media has always been a way to thwart shadowy government actions and so accountability could be upheld, but if the media now has corporate masters and they are pulling the strings, we have lost a valuable asset to our freedoms.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer
reply to post by Helious

So your saying all reporters and journalists are "in on it"?

Reporters and journalists are doing a job, it's like any other job, do what your boss tells you or your out. They top people in those media companies I'm sure make it very clear what they do and do not want on the air.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

I understand your frustration but were you always aware of what is really going on??
When did you wake up?
Everybody has their own "Time", just like you!!!!
We were all ignorant once, maybe we still are.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join