It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Three Missions Compete for 2016 Discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This is an interesting approach to take. I'll be following the development of all these proposals. I'm sure the one regarding near-earth objects will be of interest to certain posters in particular.

www.astrobio.net...

NASA has selected three science investigations, from which it will pick one potential 2016 mission: to look at Mars' interior for the first time; study an extraterrestrial sea on one of Saturn's moons; or study in unprecedented detail the surface of a comet's nucleus. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., would lead the Mars investigation.

The three selected technology development proposals will expand the ability to catalog near-Earth objects, or NEOs; enhance the capability to determine the composition of comet ices; and validate a new method to reveal the population of objects in the poorly understood, far-distant part of our solar system. During the next several years, selected teams will receive funding that is determined through contract negotiations to bring their respective technologies to a higher level of readiness. To be considered for flight, teams must demonstrate progress in a future mission proposal competition.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

If it were up to me I'd vote for the sea on one of Saturn's moons.
No telling what they might find down there. Then Mars and the other in that order.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I believe it would be of more benefit to the world with our current global concerns to concentrate on whats at the bottom of our own seas, Much more to learn right here than out there!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Moons of Saturn first for sure. They may hold the most interesting finds in our solar system.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
if we found a fish or a whale or any creature with similarities to whats on earth thats awnsered a question in itself wich came first saturs animals or ours

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

There's more to learn here than there? How could you possibly know this? You don't, no one does...which is the whole point of going there to find out.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Saturn snapper, 3 for $2000 .. get em while they are fresh!

mmmmm space fresh fish!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think cataloging Near Earth Objects would be a huge priority. The other projects mentioned in the OP and subsequent posts are interesting, but the NEO project could mean the survival of our species. If there is a huge rock that is going to hit us, an early warning may be the difference between annihilation and sending Bruce Willis up to explode it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IamMe14

Fair enough comment, but one must learn to walk before one runs one step at a time. How can we jump an essential step in the climb for knowledge? Imagine locating ET life out there, welcoming them back here and not even have the ability to explain to them our true history.
By the way im sure they would find the theory of evolution hilarious.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Tippys Dad

Certainly studying in depth NEO's would have a more direct effect on possibly preventing the extinction of our species, but we should also look at indirect effects.

A mission probing the oceans of Titan could have huge ramifications on E.T. Life, which in turn could vastly increase interest and funding for future space projects and space exploration, invariably helping prolong our survival and boost technological growth.

It's a tough decision, but whatever which way they go sounds exciting.

reply to post by lestweforget

And just why would they find the theory of evolution as ridiculous?
edit on 9-5-2011 by Stuffed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Divert ALL funds to a fully manned moon base.

A 'Manhatten project' style move by humanity could see this licked inside 5 years.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

A 'Manhatten project' style move by humanity could see this licked inside 5 years.

well, rumor on the street is we were perma-banned from the moon, and won't be going back.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
10 bucks says they've done all 3

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
reply to post by SLAYER69

I believe it would be of more benefit to the world with our current global concerns to concentrate on whats at the bottom of our own seas, Much more to learn right here than out there!

Yeeaaaahh right, and have more people come up and commit suicide because of what they saw on the ocean floor?

not anytime soon

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
None of those, to me, are as exciting or important as visting and manning the moon.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepainweaver

well, rumor on the street is we were perma-banned from the moon, and won't be going back.

Uh oh, another disinfo agent.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

The Titan mission seems very interesting, I would definitely vote for that if it was up for voting. Then Mars and then the comet mission. I really can't wait to find which mission is selected.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepainweaver

Lol and what person on the street told you that?

Lmaoo second line

top topics

join