It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Ignores Fukushima Fire

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by splint

Hijack the CNN News? Are you suggesting illegal activity? Your post goes against the rules.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Just remember when YOU GET CANCER, WHO TO BLAME , LOAD YOUR GUN AND GO LOOKING FOR A ***,----------------CAUSE YOU SURE WONT GET ANY HEALTH CARE IN AMERICA, UNLESS YOUR RICH, OR WORK FOR THE ***.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
You know, I almost started this same thread myself today and then I thought, "What's the f'ing use?". The only people that are going to care are the folks here and it's not going to change anything at the end of the day.

Just for grins I also went on the search for coverage this morning, any coverage, of this catastrophic event and I found....1....yes, 1 wonderful person who actually took the time to write about what a travesty it is that no one is paying attention to the events unfolding in Japan:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I actually took the time to email Ms. Norris and thank her for trying. What else can we do? MSM does not seem to care or perhaps they have a different agenda.

I'm actually beginning to think that TPTB know we are nearing some sort of extinction level event this year and they are just trying to maintain civility in the masses until they can finalize their escape plans so who cares about Japan, and Obama's BC or whether OBL died 10 years ago or last month, or the US economy is heading for a crash, etc.

I just have this really strong feeling that everyone is being misdirected to buy just a liiiiittle more time and then it will all be over, it's 'The Road' scenario for our world and we can all suck it while the elite hide out in their private bunkers for a few years.

Sorry for the rant but seeing this thread just set it all off for me....I'm actually done anyway, my family is bugging out at end of the month for a place where none of this is going to matter because I feel that's what we need to do and the timing was right for us anyway.

In the meantime, back to Dancing With The Stars and The Jersey Shore and the Royal Wedding for everyone, nothing to see here, nothing to worry about, just go on about your business........

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by buskey

Thanks for sharing. I knew from the first day it was more serious than anyone was saying, and have been wathching for updates but there pretty much hasn't been any.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well on Chiba Prefecture's disaster page there was a small quake today about 1 mile West of Narita... So they are still getting the aftershocks.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I agree with all the other posters and the thread. Even local media have wrapped up coverage. So many brain dead sheep in the world too. there have been more than just 2 explosions but footage which must exist is rare as hens teeth. It is not a pleasant situation, many warned that fukushima was a very bad idea and now it is too late. There could be many deaths already (from heamoraging and infection) with panic spreading through Japan, an island with 180 million people to think about. A capital city of 35 mil within spitting distance of the whole shebang.
News story of this new century but Bin Ladens a dead man remember? And he waS IN HIS SLIPPERS SMOKING A PIPE IN HIS ARMCHAIR dont forget..

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling
Here we go again. A new fire at Fukushima and you can almost hear the sound of crickets coming from our beloved media.

This situation in Japan is far from over...

Media Ignores Fukushima Fire

Fukushima is now almost entirely off the corporate media radar screen. If the photos below are accurate, the situation at the plant is out of control and still emitting dangerous levels of radiation. There is no mention of the fire or a possible explosion at the plant by the corporate media.

While Fukushima is still alive and pertinent in the eyes of ATSers, you really have to wonder why the MSM isn't paying any real attention. No follow-ups. No Special Reports.

How bad is this truly going to be when all is said and done?

Perhaps we'll never know. Even more likely, they probably don't want us to know.

They are ignoring it because Japan has no way to stop this period. You don't see any American or European scientists out there or any type of world function to help the Japanese, and it's not because they haven't asked for help (because if it was stoppable, we would tell them so), it's because they already know that this is beyond anyones capability. They know that a large section of Japan and possibly more will be essentially uninhabitable for centuries if not forever.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by coldkidc

I was reading the link you posted to the Berkley forum.

I saw this posted:

"The government charges that the damage caused by earthquakes and by the nuclear accident are being magnified by irresponsible rumors, and the government must take action for the sake of the public good. The project team has begun to send "letters of request" to such organizations as telephone companies, internet providers, cable television stations, and others, demanding that they "take adequate measures based on the guidelines in response to illegal information. "The measures include erasing any information from internet sites that the authorities deem harmful to public order and morality."

Is this information legit??

Illegal Information???
Erasing any information "harmful to public order and MORALITY" ????

IF this information is True, than this is the MOST IMMORAL thing the Japanese Govt has done Since this disaster all began.

Can anyone verify this information as true ? Thanks.

It is slightly worse than immoral. Kan had just gotten the information that his approval rating was down to 1%due to his handling of the Fukushima incident, which by the way was TEpco and the Japanese government being so entwined ( look up 'descend from heaven' ) that they were unwilling to believe that the Japanese people were not buying the bullsh@t party line, the approval rating hit Kan like a ton of wet bricks and dropped a huge dose of the real world on him. His response ?well, that was to lash out like a spoiled child and want all the offending information to go away ( by force if necessary ),

but lucky for us the internet is a hydra that will not be so easily slain, chop off one head and two (rapidly) grow to replace it.And in this case it made the difference, all Kan's mad tantrum, and censorship did was sink his ship a little lower in the water...so the internet ( and twitter) made and are making a difference

about the 'smoke' I believe it was actually steam, but none the less important , as it was building for several days. Tepco has nothing under control, and almost everything they are doing is desperation or theatre. the unfortunate thing is that they are more than willing to risk life and limb of hapless un-aware employees simply for P.R. spin

for example the radiation in number one on Monday was insanely high, but they sent guys in there anyway for the photo-op.

And that's the reason this is off the radar < Tepco , the japanese governments and all the world governments are simply looking the other way because they are beholden to the money that owns them. The 'elite' have gone completely insane they think that having money will allow them to buy those $400 a piece non-radio-active carrots from south America , and that it's just too bad that teh poor people have to get radiation and die. But that's not how the world works , kill a butterfly here , watch a storm go there...

...on the plus side didn't Nero end up killing himself when he realized it wasn't quite working out the way he planned ?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

there were and are things that can be done Tepco has not tackled them because they say that anything but what they are doing is 'not reasonable in terms of cost' and have turned away help from other countries and left the Russian experts so frustrated that they left saying ' the Tepco people had many chances to stop this from being a worse problem than it is, and it has not been handled quickly or expertly enough '

There are a number of things that can be done , just like at Chernobyl, but Tepco and the Japanese government seem quite happy to keep polluting because it is the cheapest way

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The media isn't covering this because the situation is somewhat stable. Stable meaning a full meltdown is not likely to occur.

We already know that the fire is going to release radioactive particles into the air, which will disperse to the point where they are somewhat harmless. The area around the power plant has already been evacuated.

What do you want the media to do? What do you want people to do?

It's the same story we have already heard, except now we are fairly certain that the situation is not going to get much worse. Unless the wind patters have changed which would cause the radiation released to blow back over Japan, what's the point?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Wind patterns? How about this little tropical storm hitting Japan:
www.accuweather.com...
Just wondering. Of course it wont affect the situation at all.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
The media isn't covering this because the situation is somewhat stable. Stable meaning a full meltdown is not likely to occur.

We already know that the fire is going to release radioactive particles into the air, which will disperse to the point where they are somewhat harmless. The area around the power plant has already been evacuated.

What do you want the media to do? What do you want people to do?

It's the same story we have already heard, except now we are fairly certain that the situation is not going to get much worse. Unless the wind patters have changed which would cause the radiation released to blow back over Japan, what's the point?

Incorrect; the media is not covering this for a variety of reason but , stability is not one of them :

Definition of STABLE 1 a : firmly established : fixed, steadfast b : not changing or fluctuating : unvarying c : permanent, enduring

2 a : steady in purpose : firm in resolution b : not subject to insecurity or emotional illness : sane, rational

3 a (1) : placed so as to resist forces tending to cause motion or change of motion (2) : designed so as to develop forces that restore the original condition when disturbed from a condition of equilibrium or steady motion b (1) : not readily altering in chemical makeup or physical state (2) : not spontaneously radioactive

I think 3B is especially important , and even the IAEA admits to three meltdowns, plus fire is only one mechanism for release , aerosolization is a much worse and more prevalent factor at fukushima , and it is getting much worse as they are losing the battle to control the meltdowns and Saturdays radiation release is proof of that ,

We expect that the "news" media is there for information and that it treats people like adults and not like mushrooms.

And if you think it's only a localized Japanese thing you are sorely under informed . Billions of dollars and most of the military industrial complex has interests in atomic power ,that is another big why this goes under the radar, oh and some of the people making reactors also own majority stock in news corps...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
dont worry

nothing to see here

move along, keep it moving keep it moving

everything will be ok, the media will just ignore it or lie about it and everything will work out fine

check out that new lady gag her and justin beeper

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mikkun

True, I did include wind patterns in my post. I think one major factors which news companies take into consideration is ratings. With better ratings you can make more money through commercials. The media went on with the whole Japan story forever, I feel like the people lost interest in the story. From that angle, I would feel like the news companies pulled the reporters from the story.

From a financial point of view, I am more likely to see things from the angle that this is the medias fault. From that angle, we are on the same page; we are just talking about two different subjects.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

I think the situation is pretty much stable given the scope of things that could have happened. What's really important is that the media was in it for what could have happened.

I don't think nuclear power is bad because of this incident. The nuclear power plant being built today are exponentially more advanced than the ones built 30 years ago. If the media wants to shield the public from being swayed away from building these more advanced nuclear power plants, I would have to agree with the medias standpoint. If the population cannot see the difference in the safety differences of the technology being built then and the technology being built now, then maybe they need to be lied to.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The irony of nuclear fallout from a naturally crippled nuclear power plant in Japan is too much to bear after we once pummeled the Japanese with nuclear bombs. I have friends that survived Vietnam and contracted cancer later in their lives. One would think that one life altering event in a person's life would be enough. I suppose that in contrast, a person experiencing bombs dropping daily or some other type of mass military chaos, every day forthcoming might be a life altering event. The same applies to the people of Japan. The people of Japan nearest to the epicenter experienced an earthquake, a tsunami, and finally a nuclear fallout. Others may have already experienced many life altering experiences while the majority of us wait for, "the big one". I believe "the big one" is here with this very unfortunate situation in Japan. I can't begin to imagine the sacrifices being made by all the noble people trying desperately to contain this tragic event as well as those left to cope with the aftermath. Can you imagine leaving your home on very quick notice and possibly never going back? Saddest of all, this event remains ignored by the MSM as though it's not happening. Could one suppose that all the well paid people in the MSM go home at night and after having a cocktail or two they unwind on their mate and tell 'em it's all bullcrap? Or, are people so secure in their environment that they truly only think that bad things only happen to other people? I'm not so sure. Regardless, we all need to be very interested in what is happening in Japan. Remember what happened during Katrina. Your government's ability to save your butt is limited. Pay attention to what is happening, and be ready to change with ease, no matter how secure you think you are. Pray in your own way for the people of Japan and the Earth as a whole.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
reply to post by Silverlok

I think the situation is pretty much stable given the scope of things that could have happened. What's really important is that the media was in it for what could have happened.

You think do you ? well apparently very well , what do "pretty much" and "stable" mean in your opinion? And what could have happened that is worse than what IS CURRENTLY happening?
(before you read any farther you may want to check a page or two in this 850 or so page thread : www.abovetopsecret.com... )

I am so glad that you are telling me what is really important, I would have been lost without that wonderful and magnanimous help.

Sooo they covered it for something imaginary that didn't happen,according to what you think , and what in your voluminous opinion was that thing that didn't happen that they covered it for ?

I don't think nuclear power is bad because of this incident.

Interesting ...this thread is about MSM ignoring news , but I suppose throwing your testimonial for nuclear power in is only about six lanes of traffic off topic , but I'll bite : you are offering us this analysis because it re-assures that nuclear power is not "bad" and so it's o.k to not report when it has problems.
And , for the record, just what kind of an incident would it take for you to 'think' Nuclear power was "bad"?( I mean if a 7 out of 7 is o.k by your standards, do we have to invent bigger disasters , like say make the scale go to 8 )

The nuclear power plant being built today are exponentially more advanced than the ones built 30 years ago.

That is what I like about ATS , expert analysis, but in this case I must disagree Mr. nuclear scientist; reactors heat water , they have not exponentially increased the way neutron bombardment gets fissionable materials hot, nor have they found a way to 'exponentially' make them safer, nor found a way to 'exponentially' decrease the highly toxic waste produced.
Reactors heat water it's about the least sophisticated thing on the planet , unfortunately it's insanely dangerous and housed in one of the most complex machines in existence

If the media wants to shield the public from being swayed away from building these more advanced nuclear power plants,...

I thought the media was in it for "what could have happened"?...er wait...now they are shielding innocent people from the horrible drudgery of independent thought by doing nothing ...wow what amazingly efficient heroes.
and no one is talking about 'more advanced,blah, blah blah' we are talking ( in this thread ) about how media is ignoring 3 old decrepit poorly maintained units in meltdown now poisoning a quarter of Japan into un-livability and dusting the northern hemisphere with radio-nucleotides

... I would have to agree with the medias standpoint.

This is so awesome I could almost cry ( *sniff* ) , you "would have to" huh? Faaantastic . So let me get this straight; according to you they aren't covering the story because of what didn't happen, and are protecting people from there own stupidity in the process and you "have to" agree with them ..O.K. I think I see

If the population cannot see the difference in the safety differences of the technology being built then and the technology being built now,

Er, once again this thread is about an actual real event ( of media black-out ) and not vague testimonials to nebulously identified 'technology' differences (with no supporting facts), but if you insist :

I think most people might have a hard time seeing 'the difference..in diferences', but
the presumption that you and the media are smarter than everyone else in the world on this subject is different in it's differences as an insult to the other ATS posters and almost every human being on this planet , but given that , this is not about new tech it's about old crappy poorly maintained tech, corrupt politicians , greedy corporations , and the death and sickness of hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of people over the next few decades and the media silence that is allowing it , in case you miss the upshot you and everyone you know is expendable to the kind of people that would try to keep this kind of thing secret .
But to address your issues IF new nuke tech is so shiny and safe why not bombard us with information contrasting the two ...oh yeah because most of the reactors on this planet are old crappy pieces of tech with the same exact kind of political and profit motive problems as Fukushima

then maybe they need to be lied to.

Ahh, it's like a symphony for my ears ...finally the truth... this thread: "Media ignores Fukushima fire" your answer ; "..(people) need to be lied to". Now I should point out that silence is slightly different from outright lying, but seeing as you advocate lying based solely on your non-factually supported suppositions you have let us know the rest of your post was complete pump ,
and more importantly have given us the reason "why" media would/should go silent,
because they are lying to us through omission , thank you so much for that it really simplifies things.
edit on 10-5-2011 by Silverlok because: no really , thanks (*sniff*)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Russia Today is one of the few major media outlets still directly reporting upon the deteriorating reactors. Two important points covered: high levels of radiation detected outside the exclusion area and the building around 4 reactor and fuel store is starting to lean.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wandering around this barren desert of news here in Japan I came across this blog.

http://(nolink)/2011/04/19/japan-officially-orders-censorship-of-truth-about-fukushima-nuclear-radiation-disaster-18502/

It's got a few things worth looking at - but not much!

... And I went to have a look at Gaijinpot, which is a forum for foreigners in Japan to discuss amongst other things; significant events here. And just as I thought, discussion of the Fukushima crisis is effectively limited to comments and opinions which don't contradict the J gov's censored releases.

All the posters who were pointing out the danger and the cover-ups have been banned (inc me). There is no one left making comments which contradict that which the gov here approves of. I must tell you the feeling over this is ... 'quite' frustrating - to understate it immensely.

I've been in the South of Japan for nigh on twenty years and I have a good idea of what's going on around the country and the world. These days most people have seemed to have forgotten about the nuclear risks. This is understandable as there is virtually NOTHING in the news of the reactors except news which might reassure people - overt lies and half-truths abound - nay! They are the rule!

Well I'll just continue to do what I feel responsible for. And I'll smile at the face of possible nuclear slow-death and pity the mothers and the babies being conceived and born from now on - esp in and around Tokyo.

Time to stick a fork in this godless planet ... it's done! *sigh* hurry up and take me home - back to the stars.

The part which irritates me the most is that I have been able to basically predict what's coming down the line and far from being eternally satisfying, it's excrutiatingly painful to feel so alone and watching the surprised looks on the faces of people when something I have been expecting for years suddenly upsets their happy and ignorant lives.
edit on 10-5-2011 by richaado because: Aliens made my fingers clumsy and caused typos.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by richaado

I can empathise with your exasperation. There's no joy in saying "told you so".

Ever since Arnie Gundersen speculated that a prompt criticality at reactor 3 may have blown out a quantity of spent fuel from the pool, the question has been - when are they going to bring us some pictures of that pool? The focus of late has been almost entirely upon videos and images of Unit 4, where the spent fuel can be seen beneath the water. Recently, some video from Unit 3 was released, although I could only find it by searching YouTube.

It paints a less reassuring picture. I see only debris and building rubble. Question is what (if anything) is left underneath?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join