Egypt in crisis talks after Muslim mobs attack Christian churches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Egypt in crisis talks after Muslim mobs attack Christian churches

www.telegraph.co.uk

Egypt's caretaker government has held crisis talks after attacks by Muslim mobs on Coptic Christian churches in Cairo left at least 12 people dead and drove the country's growing religious tensions to the brink.

The riots, in Imbaba, a poor, densely populated district in the city, have heightened fears that a power vacuum following Hosni Mubarak's overthrow will lead to a power grab by Islamic fundamentalists, more sectarian strife and a collapse in law and order.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Muslim protesters had tried to storm the St Mena's church in Imbaba on Saturday evening, claiming Christians were holding against her will a woman who had converted to Islam and married a Muslim.

Inside the church, blood pooled on the floor as wounded Christians were rushed in for treatment. Near the altar, the parishioners had wrapped a corpse in a cloth and placed a bible on its chest.

Muslim protesters also set fire to a second church in the same district and attacked Coptic-owned businesses.

It's slowly becoming hard to maintain for apologists that Islam is the religion of peace. Well, the religion itself might be, and I myself know plenty of honest and peaceful Muslims, but the fact remains that the group using violence in the name of Islam is very significant.

Now, I'm curious what would happen if a mosque were set on fire.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's 2011 and we're still killing each other over over ancient beliefs.

Too much poverty. Too much inequality. Too much poor education.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
online.wsj.com...

The Salafis, or better known as Wahhabis, are troublemakers in Egypt. They are the bigots in Islam.

They are the foulest kind of fundamentalist and haters, and the kind that give all religion a bad name. It is they in Egypt that are causing trouble.

The Bin-Laden followers are Salafis and Wahhabis

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Good ol religion. Adults and their belief of imaginary friends causing them to harm REAL people. Bunch of fools.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I saw this on Euronews this morning, and as you can see on the video (and on other videos about this event), they think that there is someone else behind this trying to create unrest and fights among the population.

Most Egyptian Muslims have no problems with Christians, they even held vigils around Christian churches on the Coptic Christmas to protect them after a bombing of one church, so I also think there's some minority behind this.

PS: we also had something like this (although less violent) in Portugal after the Carnation Revolution, but we got rid of them.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
In the report I heard, it claimed that the church was attacked because Christians inside had imprisoned a woman who had converted to Islam.

In another report from Egypt, a couple of weeks ago, three Christian men allegedly murdered their sister, her husband and their child, because she had converted to Islam. Of course ''honour killings'' are only carried out by Muslims, aren't they ?

It seems that there are plenty of religious extremist sickos on both sides, but some people will naturally beat the ''Muslims are evil'' drum.

edit on 8-5-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Whoever says islam is peaceful is either a liar or ignorant. the koran is far from peaceful. far.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think that we both would agree that this sort of things will not happen in Turkey. Which is Muslim. Or in Iran. Which is even more Muslim.
So it is not only or even predominantly religion. It is mix of general cultural ,political and only then religious factors.
Europe with Christians 600 years ago was pretty dark place and not only places of warship of other religions, but also those of different Christian branches were burned and death toll was much higher.
I deeply believe that it is predominately cultural issue, simple lack of tolerance to others. And tolerance can be taught. Sadly, intolerance can be taught too. Currently people who control the agenda in most Muslim countries are not interested in tolerant population. This is all.
Also, there is no religion of peace. Not single one. There can be peaceful people.
edit on 8-5-2011 by ZeroKnowledge because: forgot to add

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

It seems that there are plenty of religious extremist sickos on both sides, but some people will naturally beat the ''Muslims are evil'' drum.

Right on Q!:

Originally posted by steven704
Whoever says islam is peaceful is either a liar or ignorant. the koran is far from peaceful. far.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Mdv2, I find it utterly deplorable that you have completely ignored reality in this post. The fact is that the last time a Christain church was attacked in Egypt, thousands of Muslims joined shoulder to shoulder with Christians to protect churches, and prevent the extremists from driving a wedge even deeper into the communities affected by potential attacks.
It is dishonest to suggest that the behaviour of ANY extremist group from any religious background, actualy reflects the genuine beliefs of,or the majority attitude of, a religious organisation. All extremist behaviour proves, is that humanity , not any group within it, but the whole of man kind has disgusting traits of hate and brutality left in it. To make more of that than there is , is either ignorant , or willfuly misleading. There can be no excuse made for misleading people, and I would hope to Christ you arent as ignorant of reality as your prattle would indicate.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

' Christians Protect Protesting Muslims From Pro-Mubarak Thugs '
www.theblaze.com...
is this what you're referring too?

no. this...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
well, i must say, this is a rarity. though they did a kind thing, their religious teachings differ from what they have done.
muslims are instructed to ' not ' love Christians and this is a fact.

The only hope would be for muslims to embrace the love they have fought for on this day. that they and muslim spectators would turn to Christ as an example. then there would be true peace.
edit on 8-5-2011 by steven704 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Can you say Zionist false flag attack in neighboring Egypt that wants to open the Gaza border and end the blockade against Gaza?

I bet you can.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It's a shame that in a conspiracy minded forum, most people, apparently, ignore the possible conspiracy behind this situation and follow the "religions war" bait, even with people from the area saying that this is probably some "agent provocateur" at work.

I guess it's easier to hate than to understand...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

That happens with every muslim-related thread.

Apparently, many in the West are easily susceptible to anti-islam hysteria.

It's not all that surprising, really, a most Americans and much of Europe have been conditioned to have an 'other' in their mind. But i'ts always disappointing to see so many on ATS perpetuating this nonsense.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I smell bullsh!t...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Christians get a raw deal there, real oppression

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by steven704

The relavent facts are these , and these alone. There are more moderate Muslims than extremists , otherwise everything else on this Earth would be dead. The fact that other faiths breathe and live on Earth at all is testament to the fact that while there are a dangerous minority of violent Muslims, the majority are not murdering, blood drinking sociopaths.
Second, as long as politics and religion keep getting confused by either Muslims or Christains, there will be no peace. One thing that needs to out right cease with no arguments or procrastination on the part of commentators and spectators alike, is the habit of Christians to make out that thier faith is truely peaceful, or somehow better than everyone elses. Its teachings may be all kinds of gorgeous and beautiful and loving and caring, but the establishment which prevails over the faith in this day, as it has for generations, is a sick, cancerous muck infested growth on this planet, which has carved with its hidden acid edged blade, a name for itself as one of the most dangerous tyranies ever to exist.
Many Christians support war , this Jesus would not do. Many Christians bad mouth other religions , and get involved with organised attempts to sully the name of other faiths. This Jesus had no time for. They go to church on a sunday, at which they wear thier ambiguity like a badge, and refuse point blank to accept various realities about the history of thier faith, and its role as a war starter in the world. Many Christians wouldnt know HOW to be the good samaritan these days.
Let me tell you this, for a damned fact. No one who ever fired a shot in the prosecution of the cash hungry war on terror is going to heaven, not unless they have had a serious repentance session. No one who sat by on sunday , in thier pews in church, and twiddled thier thumbs while thier nations leaders made war, is going to heaven, unless they actively supported an anti war campaign.
There are no Christians who love Jesus, and respect his teachings, who would support ANY bashing, verbal or physical, of any person or group of persons, or any faith they may live by, no matter how that has been dressed up .
There are LIARS , that would do these things, and continue to call themselves followers of Jesus, and there are heretic mormons, blaspheming JWs, and all sorts of BS merchants riding the christianity train, hiding thier sins behind a cross. But the only true Christians are the ones who would rather die, than be associated with barbarity of the nature that the Christian establishment has commited, worldwide , over the years, since the dark ages.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
It's 2011 and we're still killing each other over over ancient beliefs.

Too much poverty. Too much inequality. Too much poor education.

None of those are excuses for their actions. It only shows the character of the individual who has attacked another religion for doing no harm to them whatsoever except live in the same country as them and practice another religion whilst being in the minority. Truly disgusting really.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by steven704

Absolutely - even ten yrs on from 911 people have still not bothered to ascertain for themselves what the koran and Islam actually preaches. The relentless day by day parade of Muslim attrocities against anyone they consider to be an infidel, kuffar, unbeliever, polytheist - or even just the wrong muslim sect is not evidence enough for them.

Instead they apparently listen to the talking heads on MSM - and parrot the 'Religion of Peace' ' tiny minority' 'hijacked religion' line.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join