It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban releases video of captured Toronto man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Taliban releases video of captured Toronto man

www.cbc.ca

A Toronto man held in captivity by the Taliban says he went to Afghanistan to visit historical sites in a video released by the militant group on Sunday.

Colin Rutherford, 26, says he was interested in "history and historical sites, old buildings, shrines" when he flew to Kabul in October.

He spent a few days in the capital, then headed to the eastern city of Ghazni, where he was captured by militants the day after arriving, he says in the video.

In an email accompanying the release of the video, the Taliban threatened to put Rutherford on trial for espionage if Canada does not meet
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Apparently this guy was taken in February, Taliban just released a video. I live just north of toronto, hopefully we get this guy back safe, although they aren't sure when the video was shot so.. "outlook not so good".

In a separate opinion of mine... I feel the obl "killing" was just to reignite the fear of terrorism in north america...and now were seeing the results i guess.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I hope there is a good outcome from this, but normally there isn't. This is just another reason why people shouldn't vacation in war zones.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSearchX
This is just another reason why people shouldn't vacation in war zones.

If that's the case, then nobody will ever vacation anywhere again.

The entire world is a war zone. It must be.
That's why there are U.S. Military Bases all around the globe.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TSearchX

Agree.
I hope for the best as well. But why would anybody vacation there is beyond me.

I wish him the best of luck.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

The hell are you talking about? A military base is a war-zone? Or what? What the hell do you mean? Is CNN affecting your brain juice?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

He's right. He just worded it wrong.

We live in an age where the world is our playground. A few hundred years ago communication over long distances was difficult and took months...now it takes seconds. Everywhere is a war zone. Considering World War can start at anytime.
edit on 5/8/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I call both you and him BS. Say whatever you want but the whole world isn't in war.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
I call both you and him BS. Say whatever you want but the whole world isn't in war.

I didn't say the whole world was at war.

I said the entire world is a war zone.

If the entire world is not a war zone, then why does the U.S. have military bases on every continent??

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

No it isn't, BUT my point is that nowhere is safe.

How am I BS? My name is actually Drew. Nice to meet you.

If the entire world is not a war zone, then why does the U.S. have military bases on every continent??

National Security. You don't need to be at war to have military bases. United Nations and ect.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

the entire world is not a warzone and the u.s does not hav bases everywhere...exagerrating a bit 2 much

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Has anyone checked out to see of this guy from toronto is real?

Is he a made up person? is the article for real?

just asking
edit on 8-5-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Maybe the guy should think about faking a conversion to Islam? Couldn't hurt his cause anyway. I am suspicious since Afghanistan is not the safest tourist destination around. Maybe he is just freaking stupid?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by atsmem1980
the entire world is not a warzone and the u.s does not hav bases everywhere.

Exact words = "all around the globe" & "on every continent"

Not = "everywhere"

The rest is a matter of opinion.
Military, hate, violence, death, sorrow, famine, disease, etc. etc. = all around the globe, and on every continent.

You can call it a happy playground if you want.
I choose to call it a war zone.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I wouldn't of even went if i were him. That was a big mistake on his part and he should've known better. I'm sure he will get out of being held captive when Canadian forces go and kill the people who stole him away.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a bit hard to find sympathy for someone that puts themself in that situation and gives the excuse sight seeing. same with those so called students that wanderd into iran. its not like you get there and go "oh it didnt look like this in the broacher weres my rep, this is a bit more unstable than we were led to belive"
i agree the best thing to do if you are him right now is convert and claim you see it there way and your willing to help the cause... do a runner as soon as you can even if you have a bomb stuck to your chest. probably gonna die anyways you might aswell die running

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Why was he there?

I wouldn't go there!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by TSearchX

Agree.
I hope for the best as well. But why would anybody vacation there is beyond me.

I wish him the best of luck.

I always wanted to vacation there and Iraq as well as other ME countries mainly because of the history, archeology and importance of the region as far as humanity's history. I'd also like to trek China for the same reason.

Would I go while there's a period of instability? Nope but I respect the archeologists and documentary makers talking about things of historical importance and filming while somewhere in the distance there's surely insurgents waiting.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Out of all of the historical sites to visit in the world, he picks Afghanistan?

got to be kidding!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by atsmem1980
the entire world is not a warzone and the u.s does not hav bases everywhere.

Exact words = "all around the globe" & "on every continent"

Not = "everywhere"

The rest is a matter of opinion.
Military, hate, violence, death, sorrow, famine, disease, etc. etc. = all around the globe, and on every continent.

You can call it a happy playground if you want.
I choose to call it a war zone.

Life is a war zone... Always has been.... Always will be

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join