It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Army Readies for Big Parade in Hong Kong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   

HONG KONG, Aug 1 (Reuters)- Thousands of Chinese troops will parade in Hong Kong on Sunday in a show of might aimed at boosting Chinese nationalism and the appeal of pro-Beijing candidates ahead of key legislative elections in September.

About 3,000 People's Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers based in Hong Kong are due to take part in the unprecedented parade at their barracks with tanks and helicopters.

China Army Readies for Big Hong Kong Parade

So, what's the deal with this? Given the current state of affairs between China and Taiwan, is this really meant to be a patriotism booster, or a show of force aimed at certain people?

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is a typical show of force perhaps in responce to the recent mass protests in HK. THis is straight out of the "Triump of the Will" playbook.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I always loved the military parades of Russia and China. Marching along with mobile missles and tanks with sweet formation fly overs. I wish America had parades like that but they would be full of anti-war people and hippies protesting or something over here.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I always loved the military parades of Russia and China. Marching along with mobile missles and tanks with sweet formation fly overs. I wish America had parades like that but they would be full of anti-war people and hippies protesting or something over here.

Ive posted this before, but have you ever noticed the more third world or totalitarian the government, the more medals the leaders and generals wear?

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yeah, would be sweet if they still did them here in the UK. Used to have big military celebrations like the Edinburgh Tatoo etc, but stopped them due to cost. Used to be on TV and everything. Was very good to watch all the troops doing their thing, formation marching, the gun race. Ahh, sweet memories!

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
it is a routine matter in china.
not for some political purpose.
nothing amazing.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by suihx
it is a routine matter in china.
not for some political purpose.
nothing amazing.

Are you really that ignorant of the news? This is no doubt a heavy Handed "we will show you who is boss" to counter the Democracy protest that recently occured in HK.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Ive posted this before, but have you ever noticed the more third world or totalitarian the government, the more medals the leaders and generals wear?

I think you may have a point FredT what is up with all those Medals?

Heres a cartoon for the topic
I think I would go for one big medal if I ran my own country.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Oh no this means roads will now be closed off and traffic will gridlocked i will take the MTR tomorrow the Chinese just wanna show everyone they own Hong Kong its disgusting really.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think you may have a point FredT what is up with all those Medals?

Heres a cartoon for the topic
I think I would go for one big medal if I ran my own country.

Dude that a riot I almost peed myself

new topics

top topics

join