It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got allergies or the sniffles? Try a neti pot.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It's that time of year again when pollen reaches a high level of concentration in many parts of the US.

If you suffer from allergies or have a sniffer that never shakes the sniffles, then is time to turn to the old neti pot.

A neti pot is a device used for irrigating the nasal passages.[1] Typically it has a spout attached near the bottom, sometimes with a handle on the opposite side.

Neti pots can be made from ceramic, glass, various metals, or plastic.

Wikipedia

Neti pots are great. I use mine just about every morning and ever since I've been using it I never get allergies. They are also great if you have a cold or even a scratchy throat. It's good to use after you've been in a dusty environment and sometimes after using it you will notice dust and small hairs in the water that you blow out.

I hope this helps someone out

edit on 8-5-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: Fixed broken link

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
first off this is an advertisement. second, there are products similar to the neti pot that use the same saline solution but are in a squeeze bottle instead of a pot so you dont spill booger water on yourself

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaiuk

It's not an ad... that was the best video I could find (sorry) and yes there are many types of neti pots. You can even use a plastic cup and get the same results

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

why go through that hassle when I can get a Clairitin D? Available at Wal-Mart.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Because it gives you instant relief and I for one don't like taking drugs

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Better living through chemistry.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Appreciate your bringing this to ATS. I've never been plagued with allergies, and there is NO pollen where I live, but I've found great benefit with the use of the materials noted here. I believe it is helpful (although I can't prove it) to rinse particularly when I think I've been exposed to a virus.

I know, that was TMI.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I got my first sinus infection back in March. I really wanted to try one of these things, but just assumed it didn't work. Next time, I'm gonna go for it, because I don't think I can go through another sinus headache again. =.=

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
my head and sinuses are aching at the moment

and i have never seen these before but it sounds like a great idea

so i have just ordered one of the net thanks for the post

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by banandar123

I got my first sinus infection back in March. I really wanted to try one of these things, but just assumed it didn't work. Next time, I'm gonna go for it, because I don't think I can go through another sinus headache again. =.=

I suffered from sinus infections for years. I have had multiple surgeries and tried every drug on the market. Finally my ENT gave me one of the squeeze bottle types. Insta cure! Now when any time I see some one suffering from allergies, cold or sinus infection I tell them about this. It really works.
It is a little uncomfortable to use at first. You have to make sure you are inhaling through your mouth when you squeeze (the natural tendency is to hold your breath) or you'll get that feeling of water going up your nose, like when you are swimming.
Also make sure you buy the premixed packets. I tried making my own solution and caused burning in my sinuses. I found out that if the ratio isn't just right you can either burn your sinuses or water log them.

I am sure the netti pots work just as well, but I prefer the squeeze bottle type.

Also sometime it will feel like there is still water in my sinuses if I have a really bad infection, because the infection makes it harder for the water to drain. I'll will pop a decongestant in those situations. I wanted to add that, so you guys got the whole scoop, in case some one who is stuffed up with mucous so thick that it prevents the solution from draining all the tries it and it doesn't work the first go around for them.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Yeah, when I researched the Netipot, people were saying that it felt like you were drowning. NOT something that I would enjoy, but I think it would be worth it if it got rid of the pain (not to mention the rancid smell of viral mucus, which was almost as bad, if not as bad, as the pain itself).

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I suffered from bad allergies to pollen for years and every year they seemed to get a little worse. It all started in grade school and I only would get them in the spring. About four years ago I started getting them in the summer and fall as well. Then a year ago I started to develop food allergies. I was in a downward spiral for a while. In my online research for some relief I read about a technique called NAET (Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique). Man oh man, what a life saver... No more food allergies, no more hay fever. I feel like I have a new lease on life. Anyone with allergies should look into it. I was always a homeopathic medicine skeptic but my desperation made me kick that preconception to the curb, and I'm glad I did.

new topics

top topics

join