It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama OK'd raid based on '50-50' chance bin Laden was there

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If this is already posted I apologize but a search turned up nothing.

Obama OK'd raid based on '50-50' chance bin Laden was there

www.cnn.com...

President Barack Obama gave the go-ahead for U.S. forces to raid a northern Pakistan housing compound based on "what was probably a 50-50 chance that Osama bin Laden was there," his national security adviser said. "It was a circumstantial case ... But what he had 100 percent confidence in was the ability of our special forces to execute the mission,"

some advocated for the commando raid while others advised against it, Donilon said, given there had been no clear-cut sightings of bin Laden by that point.

After a night's sleep, Obama told Donilon at 8:20 a.m. the next day to draft the order for the raid. By Sunday evening -- which was early Monday morning in Pakistan -- the 38-minute mission was over, the 25-strong U.S. team having flown out of the country along with bin Laden's dead body. Like other Obama administration officials, Donilon applauded the decision and its end result of knocking out the No. 1 man on the FBI's "Most Wanted Terorist" list. He called it "the single biggest achievement we've ever had" in the fight against al Qaeda.

I know I'll be swimming against the current here but thought this was pretty gutsy and says something about this President. I think he is too in sync with the GOP when it comes to war and activities in other countries. I think we should stay out of other peoples business as much as possible. Still I think this was a bold move and one that worked out well for him. I remember the Pirate thing back a while ago and how he gave a controversial order to kill then too. It is sort of funny he won the peace prize come to think of it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Best odds on any military mission is 50/50. No matter what. I wouldn't look to much into this. Whether he'll be there or not is at best 50/50. There's no 100% mission in the military. These seals built a copy of the compound and practice for 6 months before ever making a move. CIA had a constant eye on the place, so when the Seal team went in they expected anything and everything. This report of Obama cleary the mission on a 50/50 isn't nothing to read into to much. Like I said best odds on any military mission is 50% one way or the other.

join