It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld: Mistake to end enhanced interrogation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

(CBS News)

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Sunday he thought the use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" on terror suspects likely produced "a major fraction" of U.S. knowledge on al Qaeda - and that the cessation of those tactics by U.S. forces "may be a mistake."
CBS News

Torture is torture no matter how you look at it. If they tortured or waterboarded me, I'd probably admit I was the mastermind of 9/11 and make up a whole bunch of stuff just to make the torture stop.

Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush, Wolfowitz, et al, have ruined this country to almost beyond repair. It will be great to see the day when they are behind bars for crimes against humanity.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here's a link to a pertinent article: It is based upon a statement made by Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, the number two man at the State Department under Colin Powell, whereby he states:

Let me waterboard Donald Rumsfeld and then we'll see if he says it's torture or not!

"Let Me Waterboard Donald Rumsfeld and Then We'll See If He Says It's Torture or Not!"

Excellent quote from the above linked article stated by former Navy Judge Advocate General Admiral John Hutson:

Fundamentally, those kinds of techniques are ineffective. If the goal is to gain actionable intelligence, and it is, and if that’s important, and it is, then we have to use the techniques that are most effective. Torture is the technique of choice of the lazy, stupid and pseudo-tough.

The gist of the argument apparently is that the reason these government officials are defending torture is so they can avoid prosecution.

If torture is okay, they have nothing to worry about. They are patriotic Americans. No prosecutions forthcoming.

However, once it is realized that torture is NOT okay, then these same folks are in deep, deep trouble.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Oh great!

Guess who XE, better know as the former Blackwater, has decided to hire as their new Ethics Chief?

You got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

None other than Donald Rumsfeld!

Pot...Kettle...Black!

Ashcroft Hired as Blackwater "Ethics" Director

"Shooting civilians is okay, as long as we call it: re-direction of patriot's life energy. Yeah, that should stick."

(Okay, not an actual quote.)
edit on 8-5-2011 by Hessling because: ETA

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I wonder if Obama has authorized the CIA to continue waterboarding, or is he just looking the other way? He's already taken away all human rights from the prisoners at Gitmo by placing them under indefinite detention with no right to a trial, why not?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

(CBS News)

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Sunday he thought the use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" on terror suspects likely produced "a major fraction" of U.S. knowledge on al Qaeda - and that the cessation of those tactics by U.S. forces "may be a mistake."
CBS News

Torture is torture no matter how you look at it. If they tortured or waterboarded me, I'd probably admit I was the mastermind of 9/11 and make up a whole bunch of stuff just to make the torture stop.

Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush, Wolfowitz, et al, have ruined this country to almost beyond repair. It will be great to see the day when they are behind bars for crimes against humanity.

Wow, it has now reached the point where US officials feel comfortable to publicly support torture. It's sick - and so are they.

I hope Mr. Cheney will be happy to be on the receiving end of it one day.
edit on 8-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
I wonder if Obama has authorized the CIA to continue waterboarding, or is he just looking the other way? He's already taken away all human rights from the prisoners at Gitmo by placing them under indefinite detention with no right to a trial, why not?

I absolutely don't believe it has stopped. This is probably just a smoke screen....because he implies it's not going on. Why does he make this statement now, I wonder?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Problem is: If torture is justified to be executed by the United States of America, regardless of the U.S. Constitution, and the rules of Geneva Convention being tossed out the window of humanity.
Then, most of the rest of the world might follow in lockstep with the claim that if the U.S. can justify torture against "enemy combatants" then "we" can justify torture against any person we deem as an enemy combatant.

Time is fading away for the motion to charge Rummey, Cheny and W. in filing charges in Haque, against them for the act of commiting high war crimes against humanity.

Rummey's recent vocal tirade, can only stoke the fires of freedom to judge him as an outright dictator of the far right kook fringe of the Republican Party.

Do you think that any, otherworlder's, would want to establish contact with the United States of America if we had a torture policy on just about any U.S. citizen and foreigner as well?

Homie don't think so.

edit on 8-5-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I thought Cheney, and Rumsfeld were no longer in office. How could they know that 'enhanced interrogation' led to finding UBL? Do we have a massive intelligence leak? Sounds like it.
They talk like they know what's happened in the last two years.
Do they have security clearance still? How and why do they get this information?

top topics

join