It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you really want to achieve enlightenment?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by splitlevel

So for those who really do want to be enlightened, I will tell you my experience.
I never read a book of any kind about any subject.
I meditated for years without realising what zen meditation was.
then one day it hit me, out of the blue.
You remember who you really are.
The idea of waking up may be quite a disturbing one.
I understand people who want to stay asleep, believe me.
Its not much fun seeing how everyone is living diluded lives and chasing an illusion to be happy.
its not an easy place to be on the outside.
At least I know its all just a ridiculous game.
edit on 8-5-2011 by splitlevel because: spelling mistakes

See, I don't get it.You share with us your experience, so we can be enlightened to. Thank you for that.
You 'meditated' for years, not knowing what you were doing, and then, bang, it hit you, you remembered, you woke up.
I got to this part and I thought I would read something like 'wonderful', 'spectacular', 'mind blowing'.
All I got was 'disturbing', 'not much fun', 'not an easy place to be' and 'it's all just a ridiculous game'.
You don't sound enlightened at all.
Worst part is we never got to understand how we could become enlightened.
Still thank you for not that.
Namaste.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I would suggest that the only ones on this planet that are still enlightened are the various tribes that are unconnected to the modern world where they are with nature 100% of the time while we sit inside wooden boxes half the day contemplating how evolved we are...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

If we are sinners, yet believe we are good, we are only adhering to the big picture of collective false enlightenment, leaving the truth as a luxury to The Powers That Be. It only gives slack to the mastermind behind everything.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I used to want to achieve enlightenment. Just here lately, I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, what if the Truth is so much more horrible than my worst dreams. What if there's a reason that we aren't just given the truth on a silver platter?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by splitlevel

Originally posted by User8911
reply to post by splitlevel

Of course we want to all achieve it, we already know we live in a lie.
You say you have felt it but prefer ignorance? I think you are even blinder.

You left this gift for money, that what I see.

No, it has nothing to do with money.
if everyone is deep in a delusion, or what some call the matrix, once you awaken its very difficult to relate to people again. Afterall you live in a world of people and its very lonley being the only one who can see things for what they are.
i tried explaining to some people, especially those I knew were in alot of mental pain, how to awaken, but they could not understand me or really they did not want to because what they seek is not enlightenment but the material world, and the idea of leaving what you know as yourself behind is scary to most people. Afterall you have know yourself your whole life, or you think you do. What you know to be yourself is not yourself, its just an illusion.

edit on 8-5-2011 by splitlevel because: spellings

Your post reminds me of a friend of mine. He is extremely intelligent to the point of being scary. He has described his superior intellect much in the same way. He is not egotistical at all, either, and he feels lonely because he really can't relate about a lot of things because most people are just too stupid (including me, and I am no idiot) to understand. I doubt that he's "enlightened" in a spiritual sense, but I really don't know.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Enlightenment is a direct, tactile experience in which the participant becomes part of the Great Oneness (again).

The experience leads to life long independence of mind, which can lead to awkward social situations, to say the least. But even Enlightenment has a positive and negative lens you can look through. There are more levels, more definitions and more experiences than one Enlightened person can know.

Enlightenment is a smile on a dog.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by splitlevelits very lonley being the only one who can see things for what they are.

My friend, you are not enlightened. You still have further to go.

The true self is whole and complete. Loneliness is not possible.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
splitlevel, how can you blend in? I usually find myself being the entertainer to my peers. Those still bound by themselves are in awe of my abilities.

Those I have met who have broken free of themselves, are at the slave level with me. You'd think we'd be the ones in control. Those in control banter with the other slaves, but avoid us. This may be fear on a subconscious level. It may be an inability to relate, as I've discovered that those in power are tied to cultural memes and social clubs. Of course, If i were in control, I'd free the slaves.
edit on 9-5-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits
Enlightenment is a direct, tactile experience in which the participant becomes part of the Great Oneness (again).

The experience leads to life long independence of mind, which can lead to awkward social situations, to say the least. But even Enlightenment has a positive and negative lens you can look through. There are more levels, more definitions and more experiences than one Enlightened person can know.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Nice!
Super Mega Awesomeness Reference Catching Star for you, my man....!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I hope I dont offend you as its not really my aim...but your words sound quite pretentious and if your insulted know its only your ego thats been insulted and not you. this is my point. the more you learn atually takes you further in the wrong direction.
how does a spider build its web? By learning from others -no. Like ive said before if a spider read a bunch of peoples opinions and directions its head would be full of confusion and not clarity. the spider would not know how to build its web, if it listened to theories, instead the spider would likley starve to death. Is this not what we see with human beings.

Then surely by your logic, taking into account what you've written is also pointless?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

What is it that you call enlightenment? How do you know if you have achived it and if so like you said your the only on who has it must be tough to be so misunderstood.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

To me your post came off as a little pretentious and narcissistic. You talk about how people who read self help books and who are into the whole mainstream version of the new age subject matter are trying to form some type of social identity that can set them apart from other people and make themselves unique. Really though, what makes you any different? Half of your post was spent criticizing people who do that, then you go off and basically tell your story about how you're somehow different and unique because of your experience at attempting to reach enlightenment.

You very well might be trying to reach enlightenment yourself, but how you're expressing your case makes it appear as if you're doing little more than trying to develop your own identity that sets yourself apart from other people.

What exactly makes your attempt at reaching enlightenment more legitimate than the attempt someone else is trying to make at reaching or understanding the concept of enlightenment?
edit on 9-5-2011 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Should we be seeking this enlightenment? Should we find this enlightenment only to end up playing the game with the ones who are deluded? Shouldn't enlightenment be used to change the world to place where at minimum every human has their basic needs met? I may seem narrow minded and delusional, but it is important to change the way our little existence currently stands. Yes, a lot of people are focused on making their sand castles, a lot of people are focused on just getting by, but what is more important than happiness and love for everyone? What is stopping us from attempting to open eyes?
If ones version enlightenment simply makes one see reality in a way that makes the world almost meaningless, then what is the point of that enlightenment? Even if in the end much of it is meaningless, what is to stop us from changing the game? Surely we can make a better one. If we allow people to die of disease and starvation before they can even begin to look within themselves, then I say that not only are we delusional, we are monsters.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
from what i understand, i still have to keep chopping this wood and carryin this water, but, yeah, sure, i suppose.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I would like to achieve enlightenment, but not if it makes my beer shoot out of my nose.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiistWhat exactly makes your attempt at reaching enlightenment more legitimate than the attempt someone else is trying to make at reaching or understanding the concept of enlightenment?
I think he's making light of the difference between consulting a dream dictionary and recognizing the personal message to oneself.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits

if enlightenment is your top line above then it is not worth having. i'm not "enlightened" but it appears to me that any experience involves an experiencer, the experiencing and the event experienced. its still duality. it still does not reveal your true self. if you are part of the great oneness you are still in duality. if you see no division, you are the oneness and the duality and neither.
all thought is duality. when thought subsides, whether its the gain of a long sought for object/person or the cessation of pain, the calmer mind reflects your true being. but only until the relentless desires cause a stomy mind again. and that can be pretty soon. an experience, no matter how sublime, is not your real self. when you cease to identify with the bundle of thoughts that comprise your personality/ego, your true self appears; it was there all the time waiting for the turbulent waters of the mind to become placid. you cannot describe it, but you can say what its not.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Awareness is the first step to understanding anything. What's wrong if someone uses a so-called dream dictionary to take their first step to understanding how to reach enlightenment, if such a place can truly be called that?

"All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns." - Bruce Lee

Everybody is different, no single individual reaches the destination point the same way.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Everybody is different
That might make the dream dictionary a little hard to use.

We are the same, but our experience is different. Our symbolism is unique.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join