It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding the Appeal of Apocalyptic and other Doom’s Day Styled Predictions and Prophecies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The funny thing is my formal education stopped at the 7th grade.

AHHH, so that is why you can "think outside the box" you never finished your propaganda indoctrination!

Better keep that quiet or they will be coming for you.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Great post my friend, the apocalpytic scenario as the great equalizer where everyone gets there come uppance at last.

I think there is something to be said for how difficult and varied the rules to life as we know it are.

I think that's why more and more people are attempting to drop out of the system through freeman on the land principles and sovereign citizen principles.

While the lawfulness of some of the premises is not entirely certain in a lot of ways it allows people who normally don't run afoul of the law and system to feel like they have dropped out and are taking control back and making a life based on some simpler principles.

Escape from the present system, one way or another is very much on many people's minds.

Great post.

Thanks for joining in.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

The funny thing is my formal education stopped at the 7th grade.

AHHH, so that is why you can "think outside the box" you never finished your propaganda indoctrination!

Better keep that quiet or they will be coming for you.

There is a lot of truth to that statement. The greater truth is I rejected to indoctrination as propaganda, I had already done enough reading and studying at a more advanced adult level to know much of what they were trying to teach me was patently false, and the only conclusion I could arrive at as to why was brainwashing.

I paid a heavy price for going toe to toe with the government at such a young age, but it was a price well worth paying.

Cast out of the system, believe me it all looks quite different from the outside looking in.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
ProTrav you are an intelligent and thoughtful person. I respect that of you.

I think you have made a wrong turn in blaming religion for most all the ills of man. Nazi Germany was populated by an abundance of really smart scientists and scholars who were not believers but brought great evil and persecution upon mankind. Their "enlightened - free thinking - seeking the truth" did not save them.

God's followers are fallen men, subject to evil like all the rest of mankind. That evil has been done in the name of religion is undeniable. But, it wsa done by fallen man using God for their own devices. God is not to blame for religion. Man is, Man who follows God is still subject to yielding to ego and arrogance. The scriptures say, "...man is desparately wicked." He is and we are.

I am disappointed that you have taken the tact of blaming all the ills of the world on God because some of His followers do wrong. You deplore negativity in general yet you embrace it regarding believers.

Still your friend...romanmel

Actually I parcelled it between Religion, State and the love of high drama, so it wasn't entirely laid at religions door.

I know it's not popular with a lot of people to say those things because well next to the Beetles religion is the next most popular thing.

Yet it would not be entirely fair to blame religion on God, as their is absolutely no proof that God authored the religions built up around him.

Indeed considering there are three different popular and distinctily diferent versions, it would appear to even the religious that two out of three of them are incorrect.

Just add one more and none are correct.

So I don't think we can fairly blame a God who it's not actually proven wrote these things for these things.

It would be something entirely different if like post it notes left by loved ones on the refigerator, or coemployees at work, words from God actually miraculously appeared, as you were ready to use say the bathroom and a post it note suddenly appeared out of no where, saying remember to lift the seat and flush.

A critique on organized religion shouldn't be seen the same as an assault on the notion of a creator or supreme preeminent entity.

It often is, and while I know it's going to offend many, I think how religion plays into the wars and prophecies that drive our world really need to be addressed in critical ways.

Thanks my friend.
edit on 8/5/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

I'm taking a correspondence course in writing children's literature (mad skills as a mechanic and tradesman wanting a new challenge) and my instructor keeps wanting me to edit/revise my stories to fit their criteria...

There is always self publishing.

This might make you put the experience in perspective (I just saw it yesterday and bookmarked it)

On a spring day in 1918 several government agents entered a print shop at Washington, D. C., where the original edition of this book was being printed. "Destroy all the Lindbergh plates in your plant," they told the head of the institution. He was forced to comply. The hysteria of war-time brooked no delays. Not only were the plates of this book "Why Is Your Country at War?" destroyed, but also the plates of Congressman Lindbergh's book "Banking and Currency," written in 1913 and attacking the big bankers and Federal Reserve Law. So was the painstaking effort of months wiped out. Only a few hundred copies of this book had been printed, and they were sent to Minnesota for use in Congressman Lindbergh's campaign for the governorship of that state.

In 1923 Dorrance & Company issued Congressman Lindbergh's "The Economic Pinch," long out of print, as are his other writings, so that the present volume is the only one of Lindbergh's books available to the American reading public today. Lindbergh transferred the copyright to me late in 1923, when I was associated with him in the practice of law at Minneapolis.... www.campaignforliberty.com...

And then there is this:

...I then wrote up my findings to date, and in 1950 began efforts to market this manuscript in New York. Eighteen publishers turned it down without comment, but the nineteenth, Devin Garrity, president of Devin Adair Publishing Company, gave me some friendly advice in his office. "I like your book, but we can’t print it," he told me. "Neither can anybody else in New York. Why don’t you bring in a prospectus for your novel, and I think we can give you an advance. You may as well forget about getting the Federal Reserve book published. I doubt if it could ever be printed."

This was devastating news, coming after two years of intensive work. I reported back to Pound, and we tried to find a publisher in other parts of the country. After two years of fruitless submissions, the book was published in a small edition in 1952 by two of Pound’s disciples, John Kasper and David Horton, using their private funds, under the title Mullins on the Federal Reserve. In 1954, a second edition, with unauthorized alterations, was published in New Jersey, as The Federal Reserve Conspiracy. In 1955, Guido Roeder brought out a German edition in Oberammergau, Germany. The book was seized and the entire edition of 10,000 copies burned by government agents led by Dr. Otto John.... www.apfn.org...

My Father-in-law, a newspaper owner, used to say we have freedom of the press in the USA. The guy who OWNS the press has the freedom to publish what he wants.

Unfortunately J.P. Morgan figured that out early on and bought up all the influential newspapers in 1917. I am sure there are strings attached to the publishing houses too.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

I am disappointed that you have taken the tact of blaming all the ills of the world on God...

I am not sure of Proto's point of view, but I blame the men who USE religion as a tool for manipulating their fellow men. God has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I am reminded of an article about a very religious young man who learned ancient languages so he could read the scriptures in the original. He was so horrified by what he found he left his religion and refused to even talk about the subject to his Mother another religious person.The words are written down by men and then copied over and over by men. We KNOW that the dishonest and powerful rewrite history to suit themselves. Why should "religion" be any different???

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Escape from the present system, one way or another is very much on many people's minds.

I think that is very true. We do not realize how far we have come so very very fast. Man is adaptable but the older we get the more shaky the adaptation especially when the information comes at us so quickly.

I have worked with people who grew up in houses with wood stoves, outhouses and a hand pump for water. Their families farmed with oxen and horses. Heck my husband's aunt delivered milk in a pony cart and he remembers when the ragman's horse stopped at every house and you separated garbage (pig slops) from the trash for the ragman. This was thirty miles from Boston!

Now most people would not know a boar hog if they came face to face with it!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Actually the Getty Museum in Malibu has a amazing collection of old illuminated bibles, each hand written by a scribe and decorated with beautiful hand paintings on catgut stretched so thin as to appear to be like celophane giving the illusion of stained glass on page after page.

Hundreds of years older than the Guttenberg Bibles reading through them you would likely find quite a few things in them that are mildly to radically different in a book that has been edited no less than 107 times since being drafted in Rome.

While religion remains very important and a central part of many people's lives, it remains much more important to the State, where people like the Queen of England are also the head of the Church of England.

Religion is much more a tool of governance and the state, than it is of spirituality.

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesars

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Well I look to the news and see two groups of people who are ready to tear each others throats out over the death of Bin Laden which neither side has any proof of nor will be given. Both sides justifying their murderous contempt for one another by extolling the virtues of an age old religion, only when convenient and hauntingly on cue, that condemns killing in the first place. Bolstered with a sanctimonious concept given them earlier of an all powerful God who is in fact directing and approving of such atrocities because, they believe, it is written.

A timely thread and brilliantly put forth Proto. I am thoroughly enjoying this thread and look forward to contributing more!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

It's a difficult subject to broach with people. That of religion. It excites a lot of passions and strong beliefs as we often see in so many threads.

Like left/right politics in many ways it's a team sport. Mine is better that yours, I'm right, your wrong type of thing.

I don't know what's to be done about it, and as you and many members know I think ultimately once the Powers that Be consolidate their holdings into a one world government that they will make these doomsday prophecies come true by manipulating the religions to do exactly what they have always been doing, fighting one another, and blaming it all one another.

That's the bad part about prophecies in general and why since the time of Apollo and the Muses that they have been so powerful, as they often are self fulfilling ones, that people who believe in such a proclaimed fate work both conciously and sub conciously towards.

Some call it proof of destiny, some call it proof of god, some say they have a darn good astrologer, but in the end it's human beings actively working to make these things come true, or not lifting a finger to stop them.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

god created us to test us and see what we do and he will give us as much as we deserve. I think that this is one of the tests he is taking of the American people. it is a dilemma : do you believe in your religion or in your govt ?

Well here is something to think about. What if you don't believe in either?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
A person has to be aware of their environment.
Change favors the prepared mind

so

Fortunately man has the option of discernment
should he choose to exercise it or not

One easy way to eat prey is to get it to sit still for a minute...
like the way to hypnotize a chicken
(apparently)
1. Draw aline in the dirt...put the chicken 's head down so it's beak is on the line and it is gazing down the line...
2. If a chicken looks up into the rain the same sort of thing happens and the chicken drowns.

3 catch bird kill bird eat bird

now, I don't know if those are true..except for point 3, but you get the idea...

Fear is the mind killer and that is why the snake hypnotizes the bird

I think there is that facination with the idea that
hehheh
ALL the people I hate won't be prepared
and they won't see me coming
( with my 400 caliber semi repeating decimal full autoharp and my can of car beans)
(and my dot two two for smaller people that aren't prepared

edit on 8-5-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2011 by Danbones because: spelling is sure not my wet suit

edit on 8-5-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

No doubt about it, some people imagine being forewarned is being forearmed, but like Don Quixote, really just end up tilting endlessly at windmills.

Interestingly enough many of the predictions that make the rounds of ATS there would be no forearming yourself for a nuclear attack on an unspecified city, an alien invasion at an unspecified time etc.

I can appreciate more than anyone wanting to be informed but if the information is utterly useless, well?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Very interesting.. Have often wondered about what was behind the doom & gloom.. Had already pegged religion as a large part of it in western countries.. Your post filled in the blanks that was still working on.. Have often shook my head and thought people there had went mental with all the doom & gloom..
As even with evidence to the contrary they persist with it.. Learned something new here today and gained new insight.. Thank you excellent thread S&F

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Your most welcome friend, I have been doing some studying about what leads people to subscribe to apocalyptic prophecies and felt some other members might enjoy some of the insights too.

Stoping to think about it objectively it does make sense and explain the phenomenom.

Thanks for weighing in.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Great post!

I feel a bit differently.

IMO, people who are attracted to an apocalyptic scenario are because they are "waking up" to realize a lot of what you pointed out - religion, corporatocracy, government - are the masters. They are so big that most people feel that only something apocalyptic will bring us back to a golden age again, and level the playing field. Most people envision the same "perfect world", where there is no poverty, famine or pestilence but fail to see the connection to the institutions and establishments that direct and control society.

I go to work every day, thankfully, doing something I can tolerate, but mostly because I know I have to play the game. I think a lot of people do the same thing, but not many realize that the game is rigged and they can't win... The house always wins.

An apocalyptic doomsday scenario still strikes at the heart of surviving, which is at the core of our instincts, and every human has thought about what the world would be like if everyone died and they were the only one left to rebuild it. It is an inescapable quality of human survival.

When I look at the world, there is only 2 things that will bring that change we all hope for and it's either going to be a disaster of immense proportion or an implosion of all of the institutions we know today. Anything less is frivolous. Unless of course there is a real apocalypse (aka awakening) and everyone on the planet wakes up.

We are all sons of the law of one, especially you Proto, keep bringing the light where it is dark.

~Namaste

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

This is something a few different posters have hit upon, apocalypse as the great equalizer and the way out.

Still I think it might be overly hopeful to plan on the patricians and equestrians not being better prepared to deal with with disasters and even turn them into strengths or advantages.

I think it would all depend on the event.

I appreciate and enjoy the positive and productive outlook very much though.

Thanks for joining in and sharing my friend.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Star and Flag, Proto! This thread is very enlightening.

The other day I tried to tell a young man on these boards that he should stop reading all the Doom and Gloom because he seemed to believe he had no future to look forward to, so why do anything to prepare or even look forward to one? I basically was shot down. Our present day world has it's problems, but every age and generation has its problems. When I was pregnant with my first child 18 years ago, a co-worker asked me how I could bring a child into this terrible world where they wouldn't have a chance? That beautiful child now is getting ready to go out on her own, and one day I look forward to seeing her marry, have her own children, and live a happy life. In the Dark Ages, that odds of that happening were not so good! A lot of people in this world tend to see things in the here and now - not how our history has had its ups and downs, yet here we are. You can't stop looking forward to a future - in my mind, that is not living!

My husband and I both agree that it is good to be as self-sufficient as possible, and to be prepared in the event that things break down (hurricane kits are a must in our house), but it doesn't run our lives. We WANT to have acreage, and grow things! We WANT to be debt-free, or as close as we can (my youngest already knows to say "credit cards are baaaaaaad"). We're spiritual, but not religious, and we believe that being the best person you can be doesn't mean how you look to others, but how you look to the person staring at you in the mirror.

Anyhoooo, didn't mean to derail the thread, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I don't know what's to be done about it, and as you and many members know I think ultimately once the Powers that Be consolidate their holdings into a one world government that they will make these doomsday prophecies come true...

What I find frightening is TPTB though our good friend Maurice Strong,a founding member of the Planetary Citizens organization, has been working on a "new religion" - shades of what you say in All Roads Lead to Rome about the "old" religion.

This long term attention to religion by one of the United Nations/World Bank "Senior Advisers" certainly gives credence to the idea that the elite use religion to control the masses.

If you are not acquainted with Strong, look him up because he is one of the key "puppet masters" He is a master at manipulating people and has been caught in more than one sophisticated con that should have landed him in jail.

...Hanne and Maurice Strong acquired the big track of land knows as the Baca Ranch in 1978. Guided by the vision of Native American elders that his land had a great purpose, and her own desire to establish a sustainable, interfaith retreat community in North America, Hanne began to implement a new kind of development. She consolidated tracks of land and gave them to traditional religious and educational/intellectual organizations. By 1988, the following centers had been established: the Spiritual Life Institute (Carmelite monastery), the Crestone Mountain Zen Center, The Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, the Sri Aurobindo Learning Center, the Aspen Institute ( which was later acquired by Colorado College), and the San Luis Valley Tibetan Project.

In 1988, Hanne and Maurice founded the Manitou Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization, to provide land and financial support to qualified spiritual organizations, earth stewardship programs, and related educational opportunities for youth and adults....
The Crestone/Baca community of centers of the world's religious traditions is currently the largest intentional interfaith ecumenical community in North America.... www.transition-dynamics.com... [notice the url is ...transition-dynamics.com...]

Donald Keys, New Age leader, President of Planetary Citizens, author "Earth At Omega": "We have meditations at the United Nations a couple of times a week. The meditation leader is Sri Chinmoy, and this is what he said...'The United Nations is the chosen instrument of God...a divine messenger carrying the banner of God's inner vision and outer manifestation. One day the world will treasure...the soul of the United Nations as its very own with enormous pride, for this soul is all-loving, all-nourishing, and all-fulfilling.'" juchre.org...

One-World Church Expected This Year

CORNELIA R. FERREIRA

One of the long-standing goals of the Masonic New World Order seems finally within grasp: its one-world church, in the making for over 150 years, is about to become institutionalized as the United Religions Organization—the UR. Collaborating on the details are Bishop William Swing of the Episcopal Diocese of California, the Communist Gorbachev Foundation/USA, and certain leaders of the Catholic Church, working through the interreligious organization known as the World Conference on Religion and Peace.

Plans for the formation of the UR were first revealed by Bishop Swing at the syncretic service held to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the United Nations Charter. Attending the service in San Francisco's Grace Episcopal Cathedral on June 25, 1995, were representatives of all religions as well as political and spiritual luminaries like Princess Margaret of Britain, Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, then President Lech Walesa of Poland and UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali.... www.catholicculture.org...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

What you say is very wise in my humble opinion.

Be prepared for disaster (I live in Miami so I sure know about being prepared for those), try to not play the banksters and the corporations game.

Avoid debt, stay positive, and above all try to enjoy the here and now.

For me faith is really about believing it all works out to a happy ending in the end. Not a bad one.

Great post my friend, thanks for joining in.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join