It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding the Appeal of Apocalyptic and other Doom’s Day Styled Predictions and Prophecies

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Sorry to see this worthy thread so derailed. On behalf of Christians everywhere, I apologize for the rudeness exhibited in your thread.

The bible states quite clearly (in the book of James) what constitutes "religion"---helping widows and keeping yourself unstained by the world. Anything beyond that is politics polluting religion.

I suspect that people get overly touchy about religious topics (or what they perceive as religious topics) because to bash, ridicule, belittle, Christianity is to bash, ridicule, and belittle the believer by association. No one wants to be thought of as the "idiot who doesn't know better than to believe in a ridiculous notion". Christianity as a religious organization IS a ridiculous notion. Believing in Christ is not. IMHO.

Since I don't have much else to add to this thread other than what I've already said and since my fire extinguisher is running low from all the other flaming I've had to deal with elsewhere, I'll leave you to fight the good fight. And a song.

written by Peter Scholtes
additional words and music by Carolyn Arends

This hymn is over 30 years old, but it could have been written this morning. I love what it says: we'll be recognized as Christians -- true disciples of Jesus -- not by our rhetoric or our politics or even the soundness of our theology, but by our love.

We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that all unity may one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each one's dignity and save each one's pride

By our love, by our love

We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand
We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand
And together we'll spread the news that God is in our land

By our love, by our love

Love is patient, love is kind
Never boasts, not full of pride
Always hopes, always trusts
The evidence of Christ in us

This is my commandment that you love one another that your joy may be full.

Source

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

You know I absolutely respect the right of others to believe in religions and I sure don't want to denigrate anyone who does.

I know it's not easy having faith in really anything in todays every shifting and complicated world.

However I believe it's not just perfectly acceptable but wise to address aspects of religion that can have a negative impact on people and the world.

I know we live in a world where many are prone to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.

Subsequently why some might view any critical examination of organized religion and it's constructs as an entreaty to throw it all out.

For instance I am in awe of the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish and how strictly and without reservation or deviation adhere to the Christian Religion word for word, not just when it's convenient or advantageous but in all ways, in all things, all the time.

That's a dedication to real principle I can admire.

Part of the reason I admire them is because they would absolutely turn the other cheek if not offended and absolutely would not attempt to judge anyone being critical of them or their religion.

They wouldn't make an exception based on some notion of a vague threat, or in some vain or angry attempt to convince someone of a different mind.

They would seek their salvation and peace and path through actually obeying the edicts of the religion.

Which of course leads to why so many Christians who really do struggle with lofty expectations put to them, and often fail, tend to believe that a wicked world of imperfect people are going to be punished by God in the very real, written in black and white, dooms day prophecies that are in their scriptures, taught and often talked about as a result.

Why examining these aspects of what really does influence many to embrace apocalyptic predictions and prophecies and the other many and varied aspects that do too, some would for some strange reason like to angrily contend that the above isn't true, even though in all reality it is and written in black and white.

Your own exemplary behavior and attitude displays the real dangers that there are in making stereotypical arguments based on people.

I compliment you and respect you immensely for that.

However discussing the constructs of a book, and a religion isn't a stereotypical attack on individuals it's discussing the constructs of a book and a religion.

I think many reasoned including those who are religious can see that, once they take the propensity for emotional reaction to critiques of things that they personally identify with, out of the equation.

Great post as always, thanks for sharing that.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by notsoperfect

The cure to that fear could possibly be found in religion after all. ("face your fears to overcome them"). I'm not talking about the bible teachings though, but about the hidden or atleast disguised mushroom cult that is masked behind christianity.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by realeyesrealiserealLies

The cure to that fear could possibly be found in religion after all. ("face your fears to overcome them"). I'm not talking about the bible teachings though, but about the hidden or atleast disguised mushroom cult that is masked behind christianity.

There really is a lot of evidence for a whole hidden world of ancient mysticism being practiced by the priestly class especially in the Catholic Church and Vatican.

There is much less evidence for it in the protestant offshoots of the religion though.

Ancient rites and rituals that the laity know nothing about are practiced in altered states that might very well in fact bring the Priest in contact with the inter-dimensional world and universal powers and forces, while feeding off the energy of the combined laity who do often recite prayers and songs in Latin and even English sometimes that they seem to not actually know the real definition of.

For instant Amen likely being a dedication to Amen-Ra.

People looking objectively and with a discerning eye at Christianity really do see a Sun Cult that likely has strong ties to both Trojan and Greek worship of Apollo and related Egyptian, Babylonian, and Indo-European Gods who often are interrelated and associated with the Sun.

The fact that the Christians celebrate their masses and services primarily on Sunday adds to that speculation, and that the Hebrews who worship on Saturday are likely unbeknownst to the laity worshipping Saturn.

While Christianity is viewed as a Sun Cult by many Islam is viewed as a Moon cult by many, as the moon heralds many of their major holidays.

Conversely Sun Cycles herald many of the major Christian Holidays, primarily the equinoxes.

While science knows that the human body is in essence a form of battery operating on a self contained electrical charge and frequency, and some alternative studies even link the heavy use of caffinated beverages as leading to altered states that can bring a person into closer contact with the spirit world, some might go so far as to postulate the Hippie Generation with their drop out and tune in motto may have accidently hit upon an ancient path to spirituality and the inter-dimensional spirit world through the use of illicit drugs that altered their vibrational state and frequency making them more perceptive to these things, and that the war on drugs is in part to prevent a mass spiritual awakening from the constructs of organized religion that often have much more to do with slavery to institutions and concepts, than a real spiritual path to enlightenment and accension.

It remains a taboo yet fascinating aspect of what lies at the heart of Catholic Christian ritual especially, and what really goes on at the vatican where the first thing that greets you is a massive sun dial based on the ancient Zodiac associated with the pagan world's gods and a massive Egyptian obelisk to cast the shadows on the various positions.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Conversely Sun Cycles herald many of the major Christian Holidays, primarily the equinoxes.

Actually the biggest holidays in Catholicism are decided by the Lunar cycle. Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Easter. Christmas of course is tied to the solar calendar.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
No proof?

What about the bible?According to millions maybe billions of Christians the bible is the word of God!The proof of dooms day is in the bible!

Nobody wants to debate that I've noticed!I've brought it up a few times but skeptics just ignore it.Understandable.

I can't remember who said it but they said the government is trying to fulfill those prophesies of the bible,I assume to keep people believing in it BUT..then you are admitting these prophecies are coming true..either way.

This has EVERYTHING to do with the bible and whether or not you believe what you were taught in school.

If only the "conspiracy theorists" were saying it then I might not believe it...but we're talking about whole countries..billions of people!So it's hard not to listen.

So MOST of the blame can be put on whoever wrote the bible!

Things like this would make you think..
(2 Peter 1:20-21) 20 For YOU know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. 21 For prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.

Approximately 40 men, from Moses to the Apostle John were Bible writers from 1513 BC to 98 CE. Many may claim otherwise but an internal study of the Bible will show that it is of Divine origin. Albeit no physical proof is available to substantiate this claim.

Moses??

If you believe in God then you believe the bible!This is why people believe we are in the end of times!

The proof is the bible if you believe in God...which billions do.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Thanks for pointing that out, I think either way we see some strong tie-ins to the ancient Zodiac.

Conversely many devout Christians seem to embrace many of the 2012 Mayan Calendar prophecies which are based on grand cycles of the solar system and galaxy, even though they often do point to them as further proof that the Christian Prophecies are valid.

While the world is now just months away from seeing if all this is true, if it is, and this is what the Christian prophecies are actually based on, it makes a strong case for celestial events and the zodiacs influence much more so than the angry retribution of a dissapointed divinity.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GodIsPissed

I have said that the Powers that Be, the Shadow Government and some associated Secret Societies are manipulating world events to mimick biblical prophecy but to a different end.

In other words it looks like we are going to Grandma's house but the car suddenly stops at the funny farm and a couple men in white coats come out to take you inside for a nice ice cream cone.

Looks like and is are two different things, and this is one of the inherent dangers I strongly feel is evidenced in the propensity of some to read these prophecies into anything that might fit the bill.

As opposed to God and Jesus and an angry army of Angles bent on justice and retribution killing the wicked and establishing a kingdom of heaven and paradise on earth for a thousand years for the righteous faithful, you will get a totaltarian one world corporate government of strict laws, and only prescribed opportunities.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyInTheOintment

I mean really, I saw a poster a while back make the claim that he indeed was the expert on the subject and the Proto should take a back seat to his vast knowledge as he would begin to lay out his information.

Proto never said he was the expert and this isn't the end all. It is a discussion about why the prophecies and predictions that arise and are rife with doom and gloom appeal to people.

If in fact that poster was the expert he would be well served to begin his own thread and claim that he is indeed the expert in the opening post and take it from there. It would be interesting to say the least.

I assume this comment from Jackflap was about me.

FOR THE RECORD, as my FINAL input:

I never claimed a desire for Proto to take a back seat in this thread. At the conclusion of my post, I offered to share ONE dream, which I felt was relevant to Proto's theories.

The remainder of my post was to explain the scientific validity for prophecy. And yes, thanks, I will start a thread at some point, but the subject is vast and I'm a man of limited time resources - it will get done when it gets done. And FYI - I claim experience, not expertise.

So, Jackflap, give yourself a pat on the back for misrepresenting someone's intentions almost as well as Proto did.

You most certainly did tell Proto that you are the expert and he is not qualified to stand in the breach. I would never misrepresent you. Let me show you my reasoning.

As someone who was brought into an awareness of the Reality of prophecy via a number of dreams that came true within a short space of time - and as someone who has experienced a multitude of prophetic/spiritual dreams yet to come true, which echo the words of prophets through the ages, I am more qualified than your very good self to stand in the breach as an advocate for the phenomenon.

First you say that you have had dreams that came true in a short period of time. You were brought into this reality.

This is an attempt at garnering interest in your belief that you can prophesy. Very lame.

Then you try to bait the curious with a belief of yours that you are indeed waiting for your prophecies that have been foretold by yourself, to come true and that these prophecies are likened unto old prophecies throughout time? Lamer still.

Then you go on to exclaim that you are more qualified then Proto to talk about prophecies because you are obviously a prophet in your own eyes. The lamest yet.

The thread is about the appeal of apocalyptic prophecies. It's not about you trying to get someone to ask you what you think you know so that you can spew your own self induced prophecies.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by realeyesrealiserealLies

There really is a lot of evidence for a whole hidden world of ancient mysticism being practiced by the priestly class especially in the Catholic Church and Vatican.

There is much less evidence for it in the protestant offshoots of the religion though.

Ancient rites and rituals that the laity know nothing about are practiced in altered states that might very well in fact bring the Priest in contact with the inter-dimensional world and universal powers and forces, while feeding off the energy of the combined laity who do often recite prayers and songs in Latin and even English sometimes that they seem to not actually know the real definition of.

For instant Amen likely being a dedication to Amen-Ra.

People looking objectively and with a discerning eye at Christianity really do see a Sun Cult that likely has strong ties to both Trojan and Greek worship of Apollo and related Egyptian, Babylonian, and Indo-European Gods who often are interrelated and associated with the Sun.

The fact that the Christians celebrate their masses and services primarily on Sunday adds to that speculation, and that the Hebrews who worship on Saturday are likely unbeknownst to the laity worshipping Saturn.

While Christianity is viewed as a Sun Cult by many Islam is viewed as a Moon cult by many, as the moon heralds many of their major holidays.

While science knows that the human body is in essence a form of battery operating on a self contained electrical charge and frequency, and some alternative studies even link the heavy use of caffinated beverages as leading to altered states that can bring a person into closer contact with the spirit world, some might go so far as to postulate the Hippie Generation with their drop out and tune in motto may have accidently hit upon an ancient path to spirituality and the inter-dimensional spirit world through the use of illicit drugs that altered their vibrational state and frequency making them more perceptive to these things, and that the war on drugs is in part to prevent a mass spiritual awakening from the constructs of organized religion that often have much more to do with slavery to institutions and concepts, than a real spiritual path to enlightenment and accension.

It remains a taboo yet fascinating aspect of what lies at the heart of Catholic Christian ritual especially, and what really goes on at the vatican where the first thing that greets you is a massive sun dial based on the ancient Zodiac associated with the pagan world's gods and a massive Egyptian obelisk to cast the shadows on the various positions.

Not to mention the Pope's hat being a fish head, and the bible stories around Jesus and of him, being based off of the age of Pisces. The "Holy Grail" being non other than the infamous "deadly" toadstool. yes it is no wonder then that wild growing mushrooms and cacti are criminilized, "God forbid" the "sheeple" should have some spiritual awakening of their own and start questioning the bible teachings...
edit on 10-5-2011 by realeyesrealiserealLies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Alot of religion talk going on. I always say believe or not believe, choose your answer, either way there is not really a whole hell of alot you will be able to say once your dust, so whats the point of argueing over it?

Back to the topic, just caught up on the thread.

I was talking with a friend when we were fishing, I decided to ask him what he would do if SHTF, he doesn't understand the aspect, doesn't use a computer at all, he said, I would go out and shoot my way to supplies like in zombie movies, asked a different friend this morning, got a similar response without the zombie.

After thinking about it, the odds of a large chunk of population surviving if you do in the same area is high.

Now I can handle SHTF scenario, I come from a long line of military, martial arts, etc... However the new generation cannot, they theorize and debate # too much, and talk with confidence, but most of them would need an app to learn how to start a fire without a lighter.

You add them, mixed with thugs, desperation from good people with hungry children, addicts, murderers before SHTF, and you all mix them up with one small area of supplies and they WILL be armed what do you get?

A small war. After Katrina it was all lets help each other, but after day 8 up in my small Mississippi town that was forgotten, you seen the attitudes changing, the looting began.

I already live off the grid, well almost, without help from anyone, i can survive, by my advice for those that think they will do as they may and it will be alright, Im telling you, you dont want an end time. It's not like the movies, it totally different, you wont like what you get. It will be a struggle instead of freeing.

Only those skilled and determined would survive and even that is not a given.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

yes seems like there will be a lot to fear in the USA. Solar flairs, possible floods/tsunamis, earthquakes, storms, mobs with guns (or a bunch of Beavis and Buttheads with weapons of ass destruction shouting "I need TP for my bunghole") fighting for poisoned food and water. No wonder TPTB gonna be hiding in their D.U.M.B holes...

edit on 10-5-2011 by realeyesrealiserealLies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

The idea of Apocalypse is also escapist as it would out an end to all the horror,injustice,and violence to innocents people see. It is a release from the insane society we built.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by realeyesrealiserealLies

huh-huh huh-huh huh-huh you said tp, huh-huh huh-huh that was cool.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I just hope the elites kill us off fast p,instead of being typically sadistic about it.let's face it,we are powerless,even with all our guns and little militias popping up. The only hope I have would be if a sizable section of the army attempted a coup-hey we know they almost achieved it in Hitlers Germany- obviously it would be much harder now to take out the leaders as they have huge bunkers and undrgnd compounds- however they keep putting ore powerful weapons in soldiers hands- which is why I suspect they want to create a soldier sub species

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ComingNext2SLC

well either you move on into 5D, or you'll likely end up right here again. reincarnation can be a b****

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I love the majority of thoughts on this topic. It's nice to know that there are people that understand the mindset and the history behind the apocalypse phenomena.

People need to know that every generation, even back to the old testament has proclaimed it. It's more of a human nature issue, and there is nothing wrong with it, but some peoples' comments on here make me sad for them cause there are spending soo much time delving into this issue and missing out on how short life is and appreciating what we do have now.

My only concern as of now that I feel is a real threat is the fact that we had a F5 tornado in Mississippi, for the FIRST time in our history, now the river is flooding over for the first time in 74 years. I also see the rate the population is growing and as we chop down our woodlands and other places to create more homes for this growing population, we are also putting them at risk of being too close to an area they have no business in.

Also people are starving and they are starving badly and it is being overlooked too much. I think we are putting too much pressure on mother Earth, and I am a firm believer in karma. How much can she take?

There are soo many other things that we are doing to ourselves.

With all that said, I feel one person can make a difference, one after another, the people have the power in the end, more than we even realize. How long are we going to wait until we ultimately destroy ourselves?

But to give a date from prophecy is a bit sketchy for my taste.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyInTheOintment
reply to post by Butterbone

I like you. You have said in many more words than I could ever be bothered to muster in this thread the very things that have been rattling around my brain since last night. I was genuinely affected by the response I received from Proto to my first post - I honestly never expected that from a member of his apparent calibre.

Fly.

That's the problem. His apparent "calibre" is a sham.

He needs your attention. He really does. So I wouldn't worry about it. The hardest thing in the world is letting go when you know you are right.

So Proto, I hope you get everything you wish for. Good luck.
edit on 10-5-2011 by Butterbone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The quintessential Proto!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Me crying about stars and fags?...
Naa, I know that stars and flags doesn't make any topic the truth, but you obviously think so...

And btw yes socialism/communism has been, and is the #1 reason to murder millions of people, but of course people like you have to claim the contrary.

I am not condoning the murders, and wars done in the name of religion, but I know as a matter of fact that mankind can use ANYTHING as an excuse to wave war, and to murder, including atheism, and through an atheist doctrine more muders and inprisoments have been done against people for just for wanting to be free than in the name of religion.

Murder is murder is murder, and your attemps to clean up after atheism does not do justice to real history.

BTW, just keep telling yourself I am religious...
I know I am not, and many of my responses in other threads shows this.

Religion IS NOT the biggest, or a main factor for predictions. You migth find some books which claim the contrary and I can find several others that differ with your claim...

It is true that there are people to whom religion is the main, or a big part of predictions. There are other people who seek "attention" through predictions, but the main factor in real predictions is "spirituality/spiritual experience".

But of course to atheists such a thing does not exist and they, like you, have to make up a whole plethora of excuses to claim that anyone who dares post, or believe some predictions can indeed come true is just "ignorant" and "is a religious fanatic".

I do not belong to, nor follow any one religion, and I have stated in for example the apparition of the virgin Mary's thread that imo that is a very old entity which predates Christianity but in order to help mankind it shows itself as people want to see it.

But you go ahead and keep making up stuff about a topic which obviously you are very ignorant about. No matter how many stars and flags you get, it still won't be the truth.

This is only a popularity contest to someone like you.

edit on 11-5-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join