It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Releases Request For Information For The 100 Year Starship Study

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
reply to post by spoonbender

Conspiracies are always interesting, but not everything we do has to have a secret and nefarious reason behind it. Just because there's chatter of a new effort to spur interest in exploring outer space doesn't mean there's a conspiracy to evacuate the elite or anything like that. That being said, I'm very excited about the fact that we're at least talking about this topic and inspiring youth to do something amazing.

We didn't go to the moon because of any miracle or new technology that allowed us to go, we went because we wanted to go and we developed everything we needed to get there. It's time for our next small step, and our next giant leap.

yeah .... sorry guy been around to long and had to many Co winky dinks just to take agency's like DARPA @ face value

the moon is made of cheese

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Nevermind the cloaking technology, teleportation devices, wormholes, faster than light travel, element 115, anti-matter reactors, plasma guns, nuclear powered spacecraft, ancient artifacts, the fact we don't know what gravity is, extra-terrestrial artifacts in the solar system.

Yes, all really good points. If this is really true that they dont have this technology already,
would not the idea of exploring the human and governmental aspects of this be putting the carriage
in front of the horse?

Sure seems like it to me they must have all of this ready and working.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I don't know why websites (such as your cnet.com link) associate this "100 Year Starship" study, with something like Star Trek. I have read into this study, and it rejects any faster-than-light drive concepts. It mentions development and use of solar sails and ion-plasma, but nothing of the nature of Star Trek's f-t-l 'warp drive'. It is misleading!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman

I don't know why websites (such as your cnet.com link) associate this "100 Year Starship" study, with something like Star Trek. I have read into this study, and it rejects any faster-than-light drive concepts. It mentions development and use of solar sails and ion-plasma, but nothing of the nature of Star Trek's f-t-l 'warp drive'. It is misleading!

Exactly. Its all BS, as usual! Either they are backtracking by saying "we are working on advanced technology for the future" when they have already had this technology for 50 years or so to avoid full disclosure syndrome or they are simply ridiculling the public as part of some satanic ritual.

"Solar sails" lol...its like trying to cross an ocean with a row boat! Give me a break. Where the hell does hollywood come up with such fantastic sci-fi "imagination" if not based on reality??????????????My god phil schneider was 100% to state "they think that the general public are absolute morons" and "if our 'elected officials' cannot be trusted then they should be impeached". That was like 15-20 years ago and STILL NO DISCLOSURE OF ANYTHING.

Pisses me off to no avail

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I think its a great idea and needs to be pursued by the whole of humanity. Between starships and abandoning fossil fuels, that would be the ticket.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
When the "100 Year Starship" study accepts faster-than-light proposals (some of which do also include 'free energy')... then I will support it. Until then, I will not - because I am convinced that we can do better than sub-light-speed.

edit on 5/8/2011 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
When the "100 Year Starship" study accepts faster-than-light proposals (some of which do also include 'free energy')... then I will support it. Until then, I will not - because I am convinced that we can do better than sub-light-speed.

edit on 5/8/2011 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

Look stop with the FTL thing. Its not a matter of "wanting" or "accepting", we CANT do FTL. Of course everyone would include FTL on such a project but we dont have it. Actually, for now, FTL is not even POSSIBLE in mainstream theories...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Look stop with the FTL thing. Its not a matter of "wanting" or "accepting", we CANT do FTL. Of course everyone would include FTL on such a project but we dont have it. Actually, for now, FTL is not even POSSIBLE in mainstream theories...

We CAN'T? It's that exact type of counterintuitive thinking that has been put to shame time and time again, by the sheer will of science, technology, and human innovation. Not only am I confident that we'll have ftl travel before the end of their so-called 100 year mark, I think it'll become commonplace for people to take vacations traversing galaxies. Either that or we'll be creating our own universes via computer tech and taking vacations in alternate universes as whomever/whatever we like. Perhaps it'll be a form of teleportation, or perhaps something slightly different. But you're lying to yourself if you think we'll be using solar sails or anything slower than ftl to colonize the rest of our galaxy and beyond. Don't be naive.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Excellent find.

I've seen all the signs of impending departure towards this mission.

A mission to colonize Mars.

NASA and DARPA Plan 'Hundred-Year Starship' To Bring Humans to Other Worlds And Leave Them There Forever

Ever wonder why certain movies are made?

Mars Needs Moms Movie Trailer (HD)

The box-office numbers are an excellent blind for conducting a field test of acceptance.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The "100-Year Starship" symposium has started today.

If no speakers at the symposium address the recent CERN 'faster-than-light' neutrino discovery (as to it's implications for a f-t-l hyperspace starship travel)... then I am disappointed in their supposed intellect.

edit on 9/30/2011 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
We're way off schedule.

You know there's a starship circling in the sky
it ought to be ready by 1990
They'll be buildin it up in the air even since 1980
People with a clever plan can assume the role of the mighty
and HIJACK THE STARSHIP
Carry 7000 people past the sun
And our babes'll wander naked thru
the cities of the universe.

Kantner, Slick 1970

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How very eerie it is...

~BLOWS AGAINST THE EMPIRE~

A story of a counter-culture revolution against the oppressions of "Uncle Samuel" in a country
called Amerika..and the plan to hijack a starship from orbit and journey into space in search of a new home.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

For more reading:
Methuselah's Children
R.A Heinlein.

The basis of Blows.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Let's just kickstart this thing and begin construction on an electromagnetic-rocket hybrid orbital delivery system and the accompanying nuclear power plant.

We can rig up Detroit to build the rockets and rails in pieces, since there is a lot of stuff laying around there that we don't use anymore.
edit on 30-9-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

That sure would be a lot of waste, just to avoid building a hyperspace flying saucer. But it would not be the first time human spaceflight resources have been wasted.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Currently I don't know any viable ways to construct a hyperspace flying saucer.

I'll ask my cable guy, he knows a lot of tech savvy stuff like that.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Ok. After your cable guy... check with www.AlienScientist.com.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

I've read it before lol.

I see he has some new stuff up now.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

As the famous saying goes...
"First, I was irridescent, then I became transparent, finally, I was absent"

Darpa is working all of the angles...LivingFoundries included.
The Pentagon has a big black budget. So did the Nazis

I have always found it fascinating...Heinleins ability to weave together such
tales...seemingly ahead of the times. Science fiction at its best, with the truth sometimes
stranger than fiction.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join