It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Releases Request For Information For The 100 Year Starship Study

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

DARPA Releases Request For Information For The 100 Year Starship Study

www.nanowerk.com

The genesis of the 100 Year Starship Study is to foster a rebirth of a sense of wonder among students, academia, industry, researchers and the general population to consider "why not" and to encourage them to tackle whole new classes of research and development related to all the issues surrounding long duration, long distance spaceflight. DARPA contends that the useful, unanticipated consequences of such research will have benefit to the Department of Defense and to NASA...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.100yearstarshipstudy.com
cleantechnica.com

edit on 8-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
DARPA and NASA have teamed up to explore the concept that we are not stuck in our Solar System.
They are most likely far ahead of this, and we just dont have the specifics yet. ?

The few times DARPA ramped up on a big project, the result was a trip to the moon
and the development of the Internet. This is off the planet!

What are your thoughts ATS members?
Ready to leave the Solar System are you?

Several desired outcomes are of interest, specifically:

Long-term survivability over a century-long time horizon

※ Self-governance, independent of government participation or oversight

※ Self-sustainment, independent of government funding

※ Relevance for moving humanity toward the goal of interstellar travel, including related technological, biological, social, economic and other issues

"100 Year Starship" and "100YSS" are property of the United States, trademark applications pending at the US Patent and Trademark Office

ETA: 100 Year Starship is on Facebook too!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e6fc19f3c5dc.jpg[/atsimg]

www.facebook.com...

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) - 100 YEAR STARSHIP™
Solicitation Number: DARPA-SN-11-41
www.fbo.gov...

www.nanowerk.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
That would have to be one mother lover of a ship.
It would need a full hospital for child birthing & any other serious medical procedures.
Makes me think of Battle Star G for lack of a better comparison on how generations would live and die while traveling 100 years +.

Unless we're talking some type Hibernation/ Cryostasis tech as well.

Very interesting

wonder whats really behind the study

s&f

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Your embed didn't work. (missed the / )

Here you go:

On topic, very interesting project, would give anything to be one of the crew.
edit on 8/5/11 by Morgil because: info

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
S & F

I see somebody else has embedded the video.
I'd sign up for the trip.
edit on 8-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Conspiracies are always interesting, but not everything we do has to have a secret and nefarious reason behind it. Just because there's chatter of a new effort to spur interest in exploring outer space doesn't mean there's a conspiracy to evacuate the elite or anything like that. That being said, I'm very excited about the fact that we're at least talking about this topic and inspiring youth to do something amazing.

We didn't go to the moon because of any miracle or new technology that allowed us to go, we went because we wanted to go and we developed everything we needed to get there. It's time for our next small step, and our next giant leap.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here's my tip for DARPA-
Get in contact with big car companies like toyota/VW/Ford etc,in order to get them in on the "factory" side of things.
The 100year ship would need a factory are IMO,to engineer components for maintaining the ship,or upgrading parts while travelling.
The factory should be robot run,and able to reconfigure itself to make different items-much like the factories of cars do when making a new design/product.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
awesome step for mankind when we start thinking outside of the box like this. traveling to distant places must mean that they would intend to meet new races and peoples amongst just studying space dust.

something tells me we already have ships in place and probably have had for quite some time but it's great to see in the public eye.

sadly, the initial intent for all new (government) technology is always military based. then it opens to the public sector. (well not fuel alternatives anyway) which brings up a whole other argument on space travel...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

Very interesting

wonder whats really behind the study

Most likely a lot more than we know right now, although these things come to mind.
The Space Shuttle program is on its end, is winding down and hundreds of experienced
NASA employees will be looking for a new project to occupy.

Into the private sector?

It looks as if this project is autonomous from NASA and DARPA.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Reply to post by zooplancton

You're right, it's really sad to think humanity has to carry violence everywhere it goes. We have so much potential and opportunity but we are always trying to find new ways to kill ourselves and destroy everything.

Take a look at AVATAR (2009) and you'll see how military and science do not mix very well.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Morgil

Thanks for that, tricky little /.
If you find the long version of that video in you tube embeddable that would be awesome on here!

reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer, you would be a perfect fit for it!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
On outward appearance a good project..
But my cynicism and distrust of the eggheads at DARPA has me wondering what their ulterior motive behind it is.. DARPA is far from humanitarian in the projects it undertakes..

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My response to this "100 Year Starship" study is this:

If they don't want to implement faster-than-light propulsion... then forget it!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Go for it, its open - RFI says Ideas must be hashed out within five pages max,
and DARPA wants them by Friday, June 3.

So get cracking, inventors.

Found something in PopScience on it too!
www.popsci.com...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

Yeah, something tells me they already have much of the technology developed.
Area 51

This seems geared more to the humanity side of the project, at least to me
the information they are seeking about independnence from Government is
very intriguing.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I did something very similar to this when I was in kindergarten in the 80's!

I remember spending a lot of time getting a basic outlay of a ship that could sustain itself for a long periods. Then when I was finished and the teacher picked it up I never saw it again.

I always wondered what happened to it. I was never told anything beyond what the assignment was and I assumed it would get marked and I'd get it back.

Thanks for posting this burntheships. S&F

AS
edit on 8-5-2011 by AeonStorm because: SnF

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
On outward appearance a good project..
But my cynicism and distrust of the eggheads at DARPA has me wondering what their ulterior motive behind it is.. DARPA is far from humanitarian in the projects it undertakes..

I agree, these were my first thoughts when I heard about this last year.

I have to give them credit, its a great non threatening way to break some future scenarios to
the public. I can just see it now, a few years into the project, they could break it to us that
we have been being visited by "Aliens" for the last 50 years, there are many other "species"
, and here is what we are going to do about it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Thats very interesting AeonStorm - wow.

I would look that teacher up now, maybe they would talk?

Very curious that they took your own work from you - I wonder how many kids they did this with?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Is this really something new? Not if you believe the conspiracy theorists who have been "discredited".

I wonder what alternative 3 was all about and how they manage to stockpile supplies to all those extra-terrestrial bases on mars and the moon? Oh yeah, we can't see the ships so obviously they "don't exist". Nevermind the cloaking technology, teleportation devices, wormholes, faster than light travel, element 115, anti-matter reactors, plasma guns, nuclear powered spacecraft, ancient artifacts, the fact we don't know what gravity is, extra-terrestrial artifacts in the solar system.

Haha. Maybe I watch too many sci-fi movies and listen to too many john lears, richard hoaglands, phill schneiders, thomas castellos, james colberts, commander xs, brantons, alex colliers, etc

Haha-I wonder where science begins and fiction ends, or perhaps fiction is science and science is fiction?

My college education degree is good for the fireplace as tinder perhaps..............

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by AeonStorm

Thats very interesting AeonStorm - wow.

I would look that teacher up now, maybe they would talk?

Very curious that they took your own work from you - I wonder how many kids they did this with?

I can't look up this teacher as she retired, got married, and her last name has since changed. I remember her last name before she left and got married. There could possibly be a record of this at my old school but I would not hold my breath.

This was done with at least my class which was ~25-30 kids.

I remember it well because it was the only time I never got my own work back (besides aptitude tests (never got those back either)).

AS

PS: Anyone else take part in this? BTW I'm in Alberta Canada.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join