It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist seeks to banish evil, boost empathy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Scientist seeks to banish evil, boost empathy

www.jpost.com

psychopathic killings to genocide, he has puzzled for decades over what prompts such acts of human cruelty. And he's decided that evil is not good enough.

"I'm not satisfied with the term 'evil'," says the Cambridge University psychology and psychiatry professor, one of the world's top experts in autism and developmental psychopathology.

"We've inherited this word.. and we use it to express our abhorrence wh
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Sun May 8 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: edit quote to remove non-article material

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I think this scientist is on the right track. Imagine if he can isolate the gene that makes us lack empathy, cause like he explains the lack of empathy, does not necessarily makes us evil.

There is a very fine line between being good and evil. In the article there is an interesting chart that makes this rather clear.

VVV

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
As someone who is evil, I can honestly say who is he to try to change me. I like being evil. Why don;t they go mess with gay genes, or happy genes, or any other genes. People should leave genes to mother nature, even if it is trying to wipe evil. Messing with genes is more evil than evil itself.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Why don;t they go mess with gay genes, or happy genes, or any other genes.
reply to post by Chesster

That is kind of an ignorant statement don't you think?

If evil could be elimanated in this world, it would be great. Or if empathy for your fellow man could be increased, that would also be great.

Why would you not want this?

VVv

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I think that they're on the right track, but we have to be careful about this. Like anything else, this sort of thing can be heavily abused. We might wake up one day and find that people who aren't totally spineless classified as "sociopaths". Granted, that's an extreme version. Still, caution is warranted.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Because we need evil, and that opens the door for all type of gene tweaking. Like tweaking with gay peoples genes, or getting rid of racial traits, etc. It is just a pandoras box that should not be open at all. The best way to get rid of evil is to fix society not tweak genes.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

From what I can tell, this guy is part of the psychiatry establishment.

I don't see why anyone even bothers to run their press releases any more.

Their "theories" have been used by various elites to justify some of the most barbaric practices and events that we have in our recorded history. Their "science" is less than merely vapid; it is actively deceitful. I would not trust a word from any of their mouths.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The guy needs a Psychiatrist and a huge cut in pay.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I don't believe in the concept of evil or accept it as having any meaning in society. Empathy is a testable quality and evidenced amongst our animal cousins too. I can see where increasing empathy can improve society, but don't think genetic-engineering is the moral way to pursue the goal.

Social engineering is more acceptable and likely to be more successful. The cases mentioned in the article (NAZI violence, street assaults etc) are outcomes of social pressures and not a built-in 'evil gene.' If we look at the world in Germany before Hitler rose to power, it was a dump and people were dirt-poor. The country owed more money to other nations than it could afford and therefore people became unhappy. This unhappiness was exploited by a clever SOB...Hitler and friends.

When guys get into fights on the streets, it's usually alcohol-fuelled. On top of that, it's also social positioning and peer-pressure. The guy that starts it has more reasons than simply the excuse that he's victim of his 'evil gene.' I wonder if there's an 'asshole gene?' Can't we delete that one?! Please? Cats, dogs, birds, fish...they all fight each other too...evil too?

I get that there are no easy answers or 'one-size-fits-all' solution for the stupidity and meanness of people. Social inequalities seem to be, more often than not, the strongest indicators and causes of cruelty to each other.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

There is a film named ' Equilibrium ' with actor Christian Bale. The story is rather epic in a matrixy kinda way. The story of the film is based on the enforcement of eliminating human emotion, while the government believes this to be the reason behind all murder and rebellion, everyone has no choice but to swallow the daily pill or face severe punishment. or death.
I obviously don't agree with the concept, but a very cool flick i must say!

I guess i should mention the ending is similar to the matrix as well.
edit on 8-5-2011 by steven704 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I was kinda interested to read the article, but the link is dead

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Why don;t they go mess with gay genes, or happy genes, or any other genes.
reply to post by Chesster

That is kind of an ignorant statement don't you think?

If evil could be elimanated in this world, it would be great. Or if empathy for your fellow man could be increased, that would also be great.

Why would you not want this?

VVv

Because it removes that which makes us human. You want to "Fix" humanity? Target the genes that make these people want to play God.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kundalini

Mate the link works fine.

Just try again..

VVv

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

Exactly, perhaps I think Captain Kirk said this, "It's the things that are wrong with us that make us human" I could be wrong and just made that up right now.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Originally posted by kundalini

Mate the link works fine.

Just try again..

VVv

Still times out for me. How odd. I wonder if the site is blocked in Denmark.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Have any of you seen the film Serenity, this covers what happens when the evil is removed from people, or at least attempted to be removed, taking away the aggression, Actually a very good movie considering it was made on a budget, taken from the TV series Firefly

A part of the plot is summarized on imdb as:

they find a planet apparently suitable for life with breathable air, power, intact cities and infrastructure. But all the people are dead. The inhabitants appear to have simply lost the will to live and laid down to die: at work, on the road, in their houses.They find a survey ship with a holographic recording from its last surviving team member, a report never sent. The recording reveals the Alliance put chemicals into the air processors on Miranda to stabilize the population's behavior. It worked too well. Almost everyone stopped doing anything to live and died. A fractional percentage, however, had a drastically different response to the chemical: they became insanely violent and aggressive.

imdb Source

messing with the mind is dangerous far to dangerous for these trick cyclists to be allowed to screw around with
edit on 8-5-2011 by PrinceDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Well, I don't think eliminating something that forms part of many of nature's balances is so wise... imagine getting to an evil-free state - where does the line end? How many things that weren't considered evil before it was wiped out, will be looked upon for further wiping out?

I think and feel that there has to be an element of evil in the world - and we all have the choice as to which path we follow - thing that hinders us, from a high overview, is the influences around us at every turn - MSM, marketing of all shapes and forms, governments taxing us to fund war and not peace... we are in fact, generally speaking, poorly educated and can't help but follow like sheep - some clever ones thought this system up, and its those that are benefiting the most.

Evil and empathy, bottom line - you are taught this as a child and through your live - we were all and still are to some degree, sponges for the inputs and outputs all around us - if we don't want the evil goings on's - we don't need a scientist to mess with mother nature, mother nature is probably the only perfect thing out there in my books.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjl85uk
Where does the line end? How many things that weren't considered evil before it was wiped out, will be looked upon for further wiping out?

I was thinking just that as I was reading through the OP's post and the replies.

The bottom line would keep rising over time. What is considered normal practice today, such as eating animals, would eventually fall under the act of "evil"...as murder, in any form, would, no doubt, be seen as depraved.

How many things in our society would be done away with to stifle human response? Our books, tv programs and movies are filled with various acts of "evil": murder, rape, child abuse, arson, theft...to name just a few. Would our basic programming, should we be altered, shine through when such acts were presented to us visibly or audibly? Or would it all be destroyed to achieve Utopia?

The movie Equilibrium was mentioned above. In it, the government did away with all forms of art: paintings, books, etc. as such media caused human emotion to surface. How far would we be willing to go, how much would we be willing to sacrifice for a "greater good"?

Remember, religion, in all forms, would most likely have to be eliminated as well. The Bible revised to eliminate passages containing violence and "evil" acts.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Holy hell some retards want to design us a carebear world !!!

Hell, i i hate you peoples for your blind stupidity if you follow his mind !

Seriously who the hell he think he is to to decide what is good or evil ?

I love my world with its wars, its pain, happyness etc etc etc ...

Damned idiots !

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conciliatore
Holy hell some retards want to design us a carebear world !!!

Hell, i i hate you peoples for your blind stupidity if you follow his mind !

Seriously who the hell he think he is to to decide what is good or evil ?

I love my world with its wars, its pain, happyness etc etc etc ...

Damned idiots !

I couldn't have said it better myself bud. Leave the genes to G-d, all we are required to do is enjoy our gifts as is. Some of our gifts are used to combat evil, some are used to be evil. It balances out at the end, and we need each other.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join