It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheerleader must compensate school that told her to clap 'rapist'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

What is Misdemeanor Assault?

Misdemeanor assault, also referred to as a simple assault, generally means an act of violence against another person but can actually include any physical contact made without consent. Even a threat of bodily harm made with an apparent ability to cause the harm is considered assault. The threat must cause a reasonable fear of injury, otherwise there is no assault. The victim of the assault is also considered.

He pled quilty of misdemeanor assault which means he admits to grabbing her without her consent which is sexual assault.

He didn't just get community service and anger management lessons he also got two years probation and a fine. So you see, the charges did exist I don't know where you got the idea from that they didn't.

Are you reading the same article as me? Because it seems that all the information you say isn't there is cleary presented. There is no evidence that I can see that says there was a fight at the party so I don't know where you got that from either.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

In court, Bolton pleaded guilty to the misdemeanour assault of HS. He received two years of probation, community service, a fine and was required to take anger-management classes. The charge of rape was dropped, leaving him free to return to school and take up his place on the basketball team.

like i said. separate charges.

there was no rape.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScousePhil

He pled quilty of misdemeanor assault which means he admits to grabbing her without her consent which is sexual assault.

yes to the first part. no to the second.

He didn't just get community service and anger management lessons he also got two years probation and a fine. So you see, the charges did exist I don't know where you got the idea from that they didn't.

not for rape. and from the next line in the article,

Are you reading the same article as me? Because it seems that all the information you say isn't there is cleary presented. There is no evidence that I can see that says there was a fight at the party so I don't know where you got that from either.

i dont see how "the charges of rape were dropped" can get any more clear.

perhaps you dont have a clear understanding of how the court system/process works? the charges come first, then conviction, then sentencing.

you dont get convicted and sentenced to something, and then later have the charges dropped. that is completely backwards. although the article words it in that order so i could see how you may be confused.
edit on 8-5-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: spellering

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I know the charges of rape where dropped that's why I didn't call him a rapist. Maybe I wasn't clear on that so it's my fault you misunderstood me.
But she was kicked of the cheerleading squad for refusing to cheer for someone who admited, and was charged with, assaulting her. I mean would you cheer for someone who assaulted you?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

mentally unstable - deemed "unfit" for military service

I would have thought that would make you the perfect candidate.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

there was no rape.

Not so fast. This actually happens way more than it should. The rapist makes a plea of a lesser charge and it is downgraded to a misdemeanor, typically resulting in probation, fines, etc. Rape trials are exhausting, expensive, and often times humiliating for the victim. So this is a way to still go after the attacker in the sense of a plea bargain.

It's unfair but that is how it goes and I am assuming that is how this went down since that is the exact same legal maneuvering that took place when I had to go through this in college. It was devastating to hear the man would be tried under assault.

So I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

With that aside, I still think this is morally outrageous. I feel really bad for her.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity_99 i enjoyed your thread on this topic. i posted there and repeat the essence here:

if you had a daughter that said she was raped, would you leave her in the same school with the alleged rapist? no way in hell would i want that girl to run into this fellow in the hallways. and there is the whispers or some idiot yelling a hurtful slur at the girl. it makes no sense to me why this girls parents did not remove her from that school asap.

now her family has a tremendous debt to repay and that poor girl is still stuck in that school. this incident is going to haunt her for a long time. and there she is, stuck in a stupid little town that is bound to have some people talking trash and pointing fingers. very sad.

She was raped and there was admissions, and they watered his plea down.

What should have happened was he would have had probation and restraining order, and expulsion from the school, as she should have been fully protected from the law and not been restricted from her school, her friends, her support, and her right to choose to participate in any school activity or activity in the community she wished.

He should have had a restrainer order so he had to stay away from her.

I made that thread because it was outrageous, just like a case in Alberta, and there was on outcry that the full protection of the law was not accorded to the victim in a case where admissions were given and it was 100% known that the rape had occurred.

This was absolute betrayal of everyone, including the school and principal for this child and it was a CORE issue of abuse. No one should follow bad orders, be they corporate, school, military and it may be Corporate Navy Law, but its a violation and abuse of Real Law. Its actually criminal to follow bad orders.

In this case, they were abusing her at a core level and trying to make her have to clap for the legally acknowledged rapist she wasn't being protected from, and being told DIE YOU DON"T COUNT YOU ARE HATED AND DESPISED. That is what that situation would feel like to someone. A CORE ABUSE ISSUE.

So, her parents did nothing wrong, she did nothing wrong. The legal system, the judge who failed to protect from him so she could engage in all the activities she wished WITHOUT HIS PRESENCE, did the wrong, as did the principal of that school.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ScousePhil

no i would have never rejoined the team and put myself in that position. i would have petitioned to join a different team, so that i could cheer against him....not for him.

im sure she was well aware that if she stayed on the team she would have to cheer for the whole team.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm still not understanding why when I wrote my thread it was put in Off topic breaking news, but this thread was put in Political Breaking News. Another thread of mine was shuffled off somewhere else too. It doesnt make any sense and I'd like a mod to explain it to me. In fact mine was put in Breaking General News and now is put in Breaking Offtopic news.
edit on 8-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

then perhaps she should be mad at her district attorney and court system for being incompetent.

i dont see how its her schools fault.

when i played ball in high school, and there was an issue outside of school between 2 players, those 2 players were lucky if they were even allowed to continue playing at all. we were expected to behave a certain way ON and OFF the field. on top of that the school was under no obligation to see to the comforts of each players personal issues outside of school, we just had to deal with it.

i think everybody is just mad at the wrong people here. the court's said there was no rape, and nobody seems to accept that. so if thats the issue then take your big ol index finger and point it at the courts.

if all of this is readily obvious to me, it had to be infinitely moreso to the court.(the civil suite against the school, not the assault)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I have Never had an off topic post yet....wonder what it looks like

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
furthermore, i think its hilarious that users have brought up the idea that this girls cheer leading future may have been jeopardised because she defiantly refused to cheer.

the label of rapist is a much more serious label than being defiant, and has much much much more of a negative effect on future employment, career choice, courtship, and social matters, for a much much longer time. the 2 are hardly comparable

i think the simple fact that the rape charges were dropped should have at least merit a change in the article/threads title. but then that would take all of the $ensationalism out of it....

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

oh yah lets completely dismiss the fact that she originally put herself in the position.

that will teach her loads.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

As much as I applaud the girl who stood her ground and refused to clap her assaulter, two things need to be made clear here: one, the newspaper has gone for a sensationalistic headline using punctuation marks around the word rape to allow suggestion within the article's reader. This is journalistic narrative and to some degree economy of truth. Second, this story highlights the insanity surrounding American college sports - sponsors, money and school reputation.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

So the victim should've changed school and joined another team? Why should she change her lifestyle just to accomodate him. And how dare you blame the victim for putting herself in that position. It is not okay to assault anyone regardless of where they are or whether they are drunk or not. That's the same type of weak arguement as saying she was wearing sexually provocative clothing so she was asking for it.

He admitted to sexually assaulting her and while that may not mean he followed through and went on to rape her I'm sure it still had an effect on her mentally. And it was completely insensitive of the school administrators to expell her from the team for not cheering someone who was CONVICTED of assaulting her.

And yes the fact that she was thrown of the team can have ramifications for her future. And who cares if his future is affected she's not the one who assaulted someone why should she suffer anymore. The court made the wrong decision by saying it was a frivilous lawsuit when anyone with a conscience can see it was entirely justified.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

No its not a violation of her rights. The maount of money is to recover legal expenses paid out by the school. The "suspect" took a plea deal and was within the law by returning to school. It would be no different than a person being cut from a team for poor performance, or refusing to follow the coaches requirement.

The fact that the rape charged was dropped tells me there was not enfough evidence to rise to that level of a crime. It also possible that the accusation might not have been consistent, resulting in the lesser charge.

While I am not laying blame on the female here, she did take a role of the dice, and lost.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
"sport-obsessed small town"

Says it all really. I believe from things I have read about small town America that students who are 'stars' in their school sports are revered above all. As such they have a free pass to do what they like, and this also includes raping fellow students and getting away with it.

We have much the same thing in the UK with our football players, they can rape, murder, do drugs, whatever and it will be covered up just so that they can keep kicking a ball about for another 10 years.

She can live safe in the knowledge that while he may be a 'star' now, he will be unlikely to get as far as being professional and will more than likely be pumping her gas in five years time. Personally, if it was my daughter and I lived in a place where you could carry a gun I'd be waiting for him.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
According to a cereful examination of the news that circled the internet, the victim in 16 year old white victim in Texas alleged there was indeed rape, but which later charges against the black basketball player in Texas were dropped, then 1,5 year later the girl refused to cheer for this man in an event and since she was the leading cheerleader the school manager threw her out of the school and hence her parents sued this school and again lost (like the charges that were dropped for the rape allegations at the first place) and then courts REVIEWED this matter and make her family and her to have to pay the rest of her life money to the local government or public education school or whatever because she thought the LAW will protect her.

So TEXAS did not protect a 16 year old white girl that alleged she was raped and instead chose to protect a 6 feet tall African American basketball player, THEN sued the girl paying for the rest of her life.

Good job TEXAS!

Now why am I posting this since I am not even an American, why should I care?
Well obviously I don't BUT..
American society as I see it is now NOTHING MORE that an experimental ground, nothing more than meat shields for whomever reigns unseen, nothing more than the operation of artificially dumping down all people of all sexes and all races in to a melting pot that is the NWO. Best performing types are being lowered, worst performing types are being raised to equality and then even more, that none of all of those shall make a difference, shall put a coming NWO to danger. Yes I see American society is crumbling. NWO probably believes by using this society as shield and as a collateral, promote it and export it, that then they might have an excellent weapon in their arsenal AGAINST the rest of the people of the Free world.

Well they have never thought about it in the case that this kind of trick might not really work!
What then? Americans stuck with a kind of a melting pot from hell type of society while the rest of the world might overcome this, which IS LIKELY and then carried on.

edit

I see no FLAGS, only 7 of them by now. Meantime the post "Jesus battling UFO over NY with radioactive fuel rods from Fukushima" has 202 flags... for instance.

Hence the dumping down of this society is working all too well.
edit on 8-5-2011 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think the courts decision makes sense, even if a bit extreme. She agreed to be a cheerleader, that means you cheer. If you don't, you are off the team. She sued the school and lost, and now they want compensation? That part seems extreme, but I don't know any specifics about Texas law.

The article headline is obviously intentionally misleading, and detracts from the facts of the story, most likely because the author/editor understand that the boing facts of the case make a much less emotionally sensationally topic.

It's easy to suspect she was indeed raped and the young man in question merely pleaded down. But going on the information the article actually presents, the headline wording is unjustified. As far as the article is concerned, we have no proof of rape.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yep, real good show of how sports builds character. Gettin' 'em ready for the pros I guess. Gone, gone, gone are the days of sports heroes. Sports talent as a commodity.

Player guilty of assault, Player remains on team. Female who was assaulted by player then suffers verbal assault by another male for refusing to cheer for other male. Authoritarian Daddy says you do what I tell you to do or be punished.

Female goes to court for justice, without stopping to think that we have a system of laws, not justice.

Sugar, if you were in my town, you would have been dropped from the cheer squad for attending that party. Where were the adults in all this? Nonetheless, you refused to play their game and recognize a player who in my town would not be on the team, so they kicked you off the team. Maybe you should have stopped there, and realize that you would be better off without them. Period.

Character building, my armadillo! And, Mr Bain, the court ruled in your favor, but it still doesn't make your actions wise or right. So don't go gloating. In my playbook, you need some good old fashioned character building.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join